Age of Empires IV

A prime example of video games being educational. The mini documentaries are phenomenal, better than documentaries I’ve seen on streaming services!

Totally agree!

So I’ve been able to play the game a bit over the weekend, and I have a few thoughts.

Firstly the good.

The campaigns are really well done. Those videos they made are truly wonderful and so informative. I also do like the structure of the campaigns. With the videos it truly feels like you’re playing a historical recreation of events. The campaign missions are also very good and lots of fun to play.

I love the way you move from one age to the other. Linking it to a building that needs a number of villagers to complete means that you can really vary your strategies, and it means each civ plays very different.

And now the bad.

The graphics are just utter rubbish. I am not a fan of the art direction and the way the whole art style has been done to make AoE4 a multiplayer game. The weapons of units are all overly pronounced and white colored, making it easier to see when in the heat of battle, but looks just rubbish.

The game DNA is all built around multiplayer, and as a strictly single player AoE fan, this just makes the gameplay not fun. I get that I’m in the vast minority, but the fact that the game focuses so much on multiplayer and skirmish strategies, means it’s against the way I play AoE, and it means that I’m not getting into the groove of the game.

While I think it’s a good game, and if you love playing multiplayer AoE, this game is just for you. For me, all AoE4 has done has made me want to install AoE2DE and rather play that. It has better gameplay, better graphics, A LOT more content, and smaller install.

5 Likes

I recently had an op that damaged the nerves in my left hand. All I want to do is play games but all my action games/MMOs are too frustrating to play while I rehab my hand. Going to download this from xbox for PC to play something that doesn’t need 2 hands to play,

2 Likes

yeah I have to agree. I have stopped playing it. I’m not keen on it that much.

I saw this morning a 9gb update for it, i am not in front of a pc now, anyone have any patchnotes?

I think this is the patch

1 Like