Browser Wars 2K23

Conversation over on DAMTT this morning and the suggestion to move it to a separate thread has prompted this new topic.

The replies to this are below.

On that basis, here’s a couple of polls to keep track of the current browser usage across MEW. Consider “use regularly” as implying on a daily basis. If you are an “Other” please name it in a reply.

(And if you think there’s a browser that deserves it’s own line, let me know within the next 5 minutes before poll editing becomes unavailable.

Desktop Browser Use

Which desktop browsers do you use regularly?
  • Chrome
  • Firefox
  • Edge
  • Safari
  • Brave
  • Opera
  • Other

0 voters

Mobile Browser Use

Which mobile browsers do you use regularly?
  • Chrome
  • Firefox
  • Edge
  • Safari
  • Samsung
  • Brave
  • Opera
  • Other

0 voters

And if your browser habits and preferences change (whether as a result of the discussions in this topic or not,) come back and adjust your votes accordingly.

1 Like

Edge all the way man. All the benefits of Chromium, but with a smaller memory footprint and better performance.

3 Likes

Wow… that’s a bold statement. Has MS really revolutionised their browser that much to give you that much more trust in their browser?

1 Like

I’ve used Chrome for so long, I cannot fathom moving away from the browser anytime soon

4 Likes

For some reason I just never liked Firefox.

3 Likes

How does it compare with Brave though? I’ve recently started using that instead of Chrome and thus far I somewhat like it.

1 Like

Brave is great too, I am impressed with it. I haven’t taken time to completely shift to it but have used it on occasion. If you like it, check this out…

1 Like

I’m actually using a mixed bag of browsers at the moment.

• Brave is my main browser and I’ve somewhat been using the feature where it automatically opens all the tabs from your last session when opening the browser.
  • Edge I use just for the crypto exchanges that I have open on one screen. The Chrome randomly crashing these days, it helps to keep those isolated.
  • Firefox for Luno (because Luno freezes on all the Chrome browsers) or when using Surfshark
  • Chrome for Youtube or quick searches, pages that I don’t mind closing quick.
1 Like

I’ve used Brave a little but it tends to crash sometimes.

1 Like

Perhaps this needs a separate thread. I like having discussions (not arguments) like this, I find it fascinating. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Urgh, read up on Brave, saw some things about “Crypto” kak and instantly closed.

2 Likes

It had something to do with ads and earning crypto for allowing ads on certain sites.

1 Like

But it can be turned off as far as I know. It also has a built-in wallet that seems to integrate with Metamask or something like that.

1 Like

I’d rather have Google sell all my data to ISIS than get into the crypto game

3 Likes
  1. Why?
  2. It is optional. Brave isn’t forcing it on you.
1 Like

I’ll just leave this here

https://ungoogled-software.github.io/ungoogled-chromium-binaries/

2 Likes

I guess I’m completely over the whole crypto hype train, to the point where it is aggravating to me. Crypto is the biggest Ponzi scheme the world has ever seen, and I am just counting the days until it all comes crashing down. And while Brave isn’t forcing me to use any of it, I am also under no obligation to then use Brave in the first place, while Chrome does everything I want. I may try out Edge and Firefox for other browser considerations, but Brave is out.

2 Likes

Exactly! That case study explored above is a great example of user experience done well.

2 Likes

I think it was that case study that introduced me to Brave. The stats on the home page is also quite nice. Not sure if the bandwidth saving is worth much when using uncapped fibre, but the ad blocking seems to work nice.

This is mine but on a new OS install. The bandwidth saved was several gigs before I reloaded my PC.

3 Likes

I have been using Firefox since forever, so it’s basically one of those things that, sure there might be a better browser, but I am so used to and accustomed to it that I don’t want to change

3 Likes