Call of Duty Franchise

Is it just me, or has the release of this years’ instalment of the Call of Duty franchise been very muted? Absolutely zero hype for it that I’ve noticed. I’m guessing CoD regulars are all excited and probably smashing through matches already, but still. Outside of the fandom, it’s been a very subdued CoD release.

Maybe it has something to do with releasing at the same time as Early Access FH5, which seems to be grabbing all the headlines at the moment. Maybe it’s been drowned out by all the promotion for next weeks Battlefield 2042 release. Or maybe they don’t want too much attention on what early reviews are making sound like is a very “same thing as before, again” experience. Basically it’s another “multiplayer is good but familiar, campaign is okay, even good, but too short” addition to the franchise.

Also, how big is the installed game this time around?

Oh wow, hadn’t even realised that this had released not that I was following it too closely. I think Warzone has eclipsed the regular COD releases these days.

1 Like

All cod’s are one basically at the moment, warzone already has some of the vanguard weapons, and it’s free, so why care about vanguard? Modern Warfare, Cold War, Warzone, and now vanguard even all share the same “menu” at the moment.

As someone who has played almost all the cods, other than the fact that the M1 Garand is coming back, (and still sounds great), vanguard is just another CoD at the moment, the release price is waaaay too expensive as well.

However, I would not mind owning or playing it, there are some CoD 2 maps in there which are very fun, it looks quite good, I played some of it in the beta, and it wasn’t that bad, guns feel nice to shoot with, but there really isn’t anymore hype for CoD franchise i think, the lack of anti-cheat in warzone, and all the glitches and exploits also just made people loose trust with Activision, it’s just a lot of negative thoughts and uncertainty at the moment with them

1 Like

Exactly the same here… Did not know it launched!

1 Like

Fairest assessment of a CoD game I’ve read all day.

1 Like

I remember Battlefield 5 had such push back with women in their WW2 scenarios, yet here, again, is a woman soldier in her Russian sniper campaign.

1. Good for Call of Duty to have women in their game as playable soldiers. War is dumb and crazy and not sexist.

2. Hopefully thise inbred dumbasses who threw their toys and boycotted BF is still having fun playing Duke Nukem.

3. Sometimes the internet makes me just plain tired… The rest of the time I am ashamed to be a human on this planet and be associated with humans as a whole…

1 Like

To be fair there the Russians conscripted both men and women into their army. Some of their top snipers were women. So COD has that in their favour against any criticism.

2 Likes

Oh I know! Maybe it came across as me complaining about the women soldiers, which I am not. I was trying to say that I am surprised nobody is complaining about it. So maybe those who did complain about it before are out of the picture.

I hate game boycotts for petty rubbish like that. And I possibly hate it more when “everyone” is boycotting the game, then it still hits record sales.

Alas, people…?

1 Like

Not at all, I could tell you were complaining about the people who complain about women soldiers :smile:

2 Likes

The sequel to the record-setting Call of Duty®: Modern Warfare® is almost here. Call of Duty®: Modern Warfare® II will kick off a new era for the franchise when it releases worldwide on Friday, October 28.

Witness and experience what made Task Force 141 become the iconic and legendary squad that it is as the action picks up following the harrowing and breathtaking action from Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (2019).

A New Era for Call of Duty

Call of Duty is taking a generational leap forward, ushering in a new era — and it all begins with Modern Warfare® II, which leads the most ambitious rollout ever across the franchise. This state-of-the-art experience is set to reshape the famed series and appeal to Call of Duty players everywhere.

• Modern Warfare II, the sequel to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (2019) releases October 28.
  • The all-new Call of Duty®: Warzone™ 2.0 comes out later this year.
  • An all-new mobile experience that will bring Call of Duty: Warzone to players on the go, is in development.
  • One unified engine across the franchise beginning with Modern Warfare II and Warzone 2.0.
  • RICOCHET Anti-Cheat™ will release on day one of Modern Warfare II and the new Warzone.
  • Call of Duty is coming back to Steam on PC starting with Modern Warfare II.

1 Like

The Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II Vault Edition: Celebrate the Legacy, Welcome the New Era

Available for all platforms — either on their respective storefronts or within the in-game Franchise Store for Call of Duty®: Warzone™, Call of Duty®: Vanguard, Call of Duty®: Black Ops Cold War, or Modern Warfare (2019) — the Vault Edition is the highest-tier version of Modern Warfare II and has an MSRP of $99.99 or your regional equivalent.

Standard PC and Cross-Gen Digital Editions Also Include [[REDACTED]] Rewards, Ability to Upgrade

All platforms also have a digital version that includes the base game, early access to the Open Beta*, and other instant rewards that we cannot yet reveal, for an MSRP of $69.99 or your regional equivalent.

Physical Console Versions, Including Call of Duty Endowment (C.O.D.E.) Edition, Also Available

Those who want a physical disc version of Modern Warfare II can preorder a Cross-Gen Bundle for the Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One, a cross-gen version for PlayStation 4, or a next-generation version for PlayStation 5. Note: the PlayStation 5 version does not include a PlayStation 4 version of Modern Warfare II. All these versions are available for $69.99 (MSRP) or your regional equivalent.

More Details on all the versions:

1 Like

For Saffers “or your regional equivalent” pricing is a paltry R1379 for the Standard Edition, and a mere trifling R1850 for the Vault Edition. And that’s on all three platforms :expressionless:

https://www.xbox.com/en-ZA/games/store/call-of-duty-modern-warfare-ii-cross-gen-bundle/9NCL5M3V0RSH/0017

1 Like

Microsoft’s buyout of Activision can’t come soon enough. Even if it doesn’t result in decent local prices, we might get to see COD: MW2 on Game Pass eventually. It’s 264% over priced for us on Steam. Valve’s Suggested Price is R1000 under what Activision are asking for it right now.

2 Likes

The COD: MWII Open Beta is live on Steam this weekend.

16 000 reviews on the Open Beta in a day and the response is “Mixed”. When you consider that the peak player number is a touch over 160 000 at the moment, that’s a 57% rating from around 10% of folk who have tried the Beta.

Amusingly, some of the Positive reviews are sarcastic negatives too:

There’s also a fair number of Negatives from players that have had their accounts banned for “cheating”.

The only one of my Steam buddies that I see has spent some time with it is @Avatar - any thoughts? Anyone else going to see whether the all the noise is worth it?

1 Like

battle.net allowed you to pre-load the beta, so that is where I am playing, pretty much the same as the previous MW(2019), the sound is a lot better in my opinion, which is great, the real sound test is gonna be in warzone 2.0. Guns feel like they have more impact, feels nice to shoot them in this one. gun customization seems to still be the same, unfortunately they went back to only 5 attachments per gun, which is sad, as the vanguard weapons could be modified with 10 attachments to make some monstrosities.

Unfortunately the same old problems still exist, I still sometimes spawn in front of enemies, I still get kicked out of the loadout customization screen when the party host starts or stops a game search.

I will play some more to see what else I love/hate about the game, but I agree with the steam rating, currently my feelings are mixed.

Will I buy it on release? no.

3 Likes

Thanks, @GregRedd . I’m reporting live from here gestures wildly behind me, a mechanic’s workshop in Florida that has been laid to ruins. Bullet are flying, explosions are going off, cruise missiles are flying in ducks as explosion goes off in the distance, it’s well and truly a Warzone.

Unlike most, I was caught off guard by this conflict. I believed the fighting to have been limited to those with the means of pre ordering, but to my surprise I, and many others, was drawn in with the promise of a /free/ open beta.

The fighting itself is what one would expect. Lots of guns and gadgets, great sounds, a couple of good maps, a couple of bad ones, opponents that are better than you would believe is possible, muting everyone in the game immediately, and a weird, slightly frustrating progression system. We also saw reports of crashes, game client update issues, and several movement bugs.

However, it feels like modern warfare out here, and the best way to experience it with a couple of friends. It truly is one of the constants in life - death, taxes, and a new Call of Duty to play. Back to you in the studio @GregRedd .

3 Likes

I think this is a good summary. I might buy it a couple of days after release, pending reviews. Warzone is free though, so that’s a no brainer.

I saw somewhere that the progression system was changed so that you don’t need to unlock attachments over and over again for each weapon, called receivers in this iteration,because why use all the established terminology when we can just make up new systems?

2 Likes

Unless they bring it to the full release, it is not in the beta, I just checked, I have a maxed lvl m4, and when I change the receiver to either the battle-rifle or LMG iteration, it does not bring over any attachments.

1 Like