Codemasters Bought by Electronic Arts

Less than a year ago we learnt that Codemasters were buying Project Cars developers Slightly Mad Studios.

Today Reuters are reporting that Take-Two Interactive are poised to buy the British developer of the official F1 games and the Dirt franchise for almost a billion Dollars.

Take-Two are the holding company of Rockstar Games, 2K Games and the Private Division label, amongst others. They are the third largest publicly traded European and American games company after Activision Blizzard and Electronic Arts.

Should the acquisition go through, the Codemasters stable of titles will join the likes of the Red Dead, Grand Theft Auto, NBA, Borderlands and Bioshock franchises.

2 Likes

Red Dirt Auto?
Project Bio Lands?
Grid BA?

Endless possibilites!

3 Likes

Well there goes our awesome regional pricing on Codies games. Take-Two titles are some of the most expensive for us in the ZAR region.

5 Likes

Exactly what I thought too :expressionless:

5 Likes

I donā€™t think its a good idea. Companies need to remain individual or otherwise theyā€™ll all just start producing similar games due to corporate demands.

5 Likes

I was thinking exactly the same when I saw the news.

4 Likes

Iā€™m still not sure how to feel about this, I grew up on codies gamesā€¦ and Take-Two is all about making that money printer go brrrrr.

3 Likes

Player 3 (aka Electronic Arts) has entered the arena!

Things on the Codemasters / Take-Two front have dramatically changed, albeit somewhat quietly, and seemingly very quicklyā€¦

Just 12 hours ago rumours of an EA counter-offer started circulatingā€¦

Then just a short while ago, reports that Codemasters will accept the EA offer started appearingā€¦

Codemasters has withdrawn its recommendation for the Ā£759m cash and shares bid from Take-Two, and said it would unanimously recommend the 604p a share cash offer from EA.

Guess I need to update the topic titleā€¦

(Was Take-Two to buy Codemasters for $973m)

1 Like

Does EA, or Take Two have better servers?

1 Like

I know EA has a tendency of killing off servers for ā€˜olderā€™ games.

1 Like

Codemasters has a tendency of not starting up servers for their current games.

2 Likes

I think either would have better servers that Codemasters, thatā€™s for sure.

Also RIP favourable regional pricing for us. EA is a bit better than Take-Two in that regard though but nowhere near as good as we are used to getting.

2 Likes

We might get advantage from EA Play?

2 Likes

Yep, not at release (unless you go for premier) but definitely down the line.

I agree, EA Play makes EA my preferred buyer.

1 Like

Mmmm, but for F1 it might make sense to sub to premier for a couple of months just for that. If they fix the servers.

3 Likes

I donā€™t know if itā€™s just me being my jaded, cynical, old fart self, but even with the "the departures had always been part of the planā€ and ā€œour orientation isnā€™t to come in and turn Codemasters into another Electronic Arts studioā€* PR bollocks, the first thing that popped into my head as I read this article was a ā€œand so it beginsā€, followed by Jim Morrison singing, ā€œThis is the end, beautiful friendā€.

* Immediately scrapping Regional Pricing for Codemasters games on Steam proves this statement is a lie. Turning Codemasters into another EA studio is precisely what they did before theyā€™d even added their EA logo to all the artwork.

2 Likes

I was sadened and then excited when I found out that Codemasters brought over a lot of the Eveolution Studios devs, if they didnā€™t take the entire studio. Now that Codemasters is being bought by EA, I am now considerably more aprehensive. Not that EA games are bad by any stretch, but some of their practices I do not like nor agree with. But such is the nature of the industry right now unfortunately.

2 Likes