Coronavirus - COVID-19

:rage:

4 Likes

This just makes it harder for the very community that needs the help the most.

5 Likes

Just disgusting :mask: really cannot fathom their logic.

5 Likes

Somehting positive for today.

4 Likes

I see phase 3 testing is occurring here. I actually wouldn’t mind signing up.

3 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Gabe Newell and friends putting on free event and concert in Auckland as thanks for hospitality during COVID-19 lockdown

https://www.iol.co.za/pretoria-news/news/covid-19-empty-seats-take-heavy-toll-on-countrys-restaurants-147633fb-6806-4720-9965-6e444242ffa7

I am finding it interesting that even though the protest happened there isnt much news about it at all.

2 Likes

Define “much news”?

There are two articles on News24 when I search “jobssavelives”, at least two on DailyMaverick, at least one on IOL, and I’m sure we’ll find some on TimesLive as well. BusinessTech has several articles (not just one or two) leading up to the protest. Heck, even MyBroadband ran a piece.

2 Likes

Ive missed it, we just didnt see a thing about it on TV which we felt was a shame (this was last night) Im hoping that it will gain a bit more traction.

2 Likes

While I completely understand the protest and am in complete support of people’s right to protest, I’m also going to make myself very unpopular:

I don’t think it is a foregone conclusion that allowing alcohol to be served in restaurants will bring people back.

People are staying away from restaurants because they are afraid.

And they probably should be. No-one wants to be the one who brings the virus home to their ailing parents or grandparents.

Incidentally, we had pizza on Friday and the local Mimmos was so busy it could not keep up with the demand and there was basically no-one sitting down. It was busy because of take-away orders.

It was so busy Ani was actually concerned about the hygiene / safety precautions not being enough because there was a lot of yelling backwards and forwards from the kitchen to the front-of-house. COVID loves a room full of people speaking or singing loudly for hours on end.

Anyway… What I’m saying is that not all restaurants are facing the same issue and alcohol isn’t going to magically bring everyone back.

However, as the data now show, allowing alcohol will almost certainly cost hospital beds because people are idiots. Because people are idiots, alcohol is now banned. People should be less mad at government for banning alcohol and more mad at idiots who are utterly irresponsible with the freedoms they enjoy.

You can still be a little mad at government, though, as it has failed to build up the social capital it needs to ask people to behave responsibly.

What happens when you have an infantile government contested by infantile political parties who bicker like kids on a playground? You get a nation of children that have to be minded like children.

(Sorry, stream of consciousness took over there for a second. I may be venting for the first time in weeks and being a Jeremiah as a result. Maybe people aren’t all that bad.)

Getting rid of the curfew is a separate issue. I honestly don’t understand the logic of the curfew.

6 Likes

See I agree with you up to a point. I get that part of the alcohol ban, Im just the emotional one, who feels for all of these places. My sister owns a restaurant in Australia, they are now open again after their 3 months, but its almost to late. The chances of the place recovering is slim. Most restaurants there could sell takeaways during the time, but it ended up costing them more than it was worth.

As for the alcohol ban, I am all for that, I agree that we need to keep that away as long as possible. Im just at this point understanding how the vineyards feel. It kills me to hear about how many of them are not coming back.

3 Likes

And my least favourite thing. . . .
“President Cyril Ramaphosa will address the nation at 20:00 this evening, Thursday 23 July 2020, on developments in South Africa’s risk-adjusted strategy to manage the spread of Covid-19.
The President’s address follows a number of meetings of the Cabinet and the National Coronavirus Command Council.
The President’s address will be broadcast live on television and radio and will be streamed live on a range of online platforms. News24 will bring you live updates.”

2 Likes

Schools will be closed now.

3 Likes

Yep that is my gut feeling as well. Hier kom GROOT kak

2 Likes

Dus n KAK Storie , Hierdie KAK moet tot n einde kom :grin:

1 Like

I agree

Absolutely agree with everything you said. My wife and I went out for breakfast today at the V&A Waterfront after having a sensor checked in my car. We were dead scared to sit anywhere and stayed away as far as we could from anyone. I’m a teetotaler, but obviously my wife wouldn’t be drinking at 09:30 in the morning. So we weren’t avoiding the restaurant (or restaurants in general) due to lack of alcohol being served - it was for fear of bringing COVID home to my mother in law who is squarely in the high risk group.

3 Likes

I quite enjoyed a video that spread through the medical fraternity of the casualties of Chris Hani Baragwanath Academic Hospital, the third largest hospital in the world, being empty on a Friday night for the first time ever. It was one week into lockdown.
Cut to the day after the alcohol ban was lifted, and video’s started spreading of that same hospital bursting at the seams.

Ja, but then also maybe we are.

2 Likes

And when people drink alcohol they become even bigger idiots.

4 Likes

The first lockdown was an inconvenience, the second was just crap - at the point I was in much more selfish position of ‘I can’t buy beer and that sucks’ - now I’m well over that (contrary to popular belief I don’t drink nearly as much you think I do :P) and my concern also lies squarely with the economic and social fall out that this causes.

I’m pissed at the governments constant threatening behavior where they had endless police to pester people walking on the grass instead of the pavement but not enough to have sufficient roadblocks or visible policing in higher risk areas. They always go on about enforcing lockdown regulations - what exactly was stopping them from the enforcing the LAW? And that’s before we start asking the question what in the actual hell was the government doing for three months in terms of medical preparation?

Did they honestly not anticipate that after being denied alcohol for 90 days people wouldn’t go overboard? Especially considering we live in a nanny state where most people think they don’t have to take any responsibility for themselves? Even I sat there going ‘FFS we couldn’t just behave for like…2 weeks could we?’

So as much as I’m pissed at the government, the population is just as guilty - even though lockdown has laid the polices inability to deal with criminality thouroughly bare - otherwise they would be cracking the whip against smugglers and blackmarket tycoons instead of an old lady selling a pack of Chicagos because she hasn’t eaten in three days.

And don’t get me started on the tobacco thing. Or the fact that tourism can’t operate but taxis are free to ferry that virus around because they threw their toys out the cot and don’t enforce a single ounce of hygiene or social distancing protocol - because of course they don’t.

6 Likes