Coronavirus - COVID-19

This was a thoroughly entertaining read:

4 Likes

Thanks, will give it a read later. Opened the page and saw it’s a long article.

2 Likes

I won’t be surprised if we see a spike again. All over the place I see people going about their lives like the virus doesn’t exist.

I get so frustrated at the gym because people don’t follow the rules and there’s no supervision. Complained to Virgin Active a while back and then things got better but now it’s worse than ever.

Some of my co-workers posted pictures of a big party that they went to. Shooters, nobody wearing masks, people taking photos together where they all have their arms around each other.

In my opinion it’s inconsiderate. If you don’t care about yourself, then so be it. But you are putting the rest of us in danger.

6 Likes

Which is why I maintain that this virus will likely be around for months or even years to come.

We’ve adapted to a new norm and accepting that is part of life but downplay the severity of it. Sure it will be around but take the necessary precautions. I guess in the end, you can only do your part.

3 Likes

Thing is… if others decide that they aren’t going to do their part—for whatever reason—then that means those of us who are more vulnerable have to take extreme precaution.

Cloth masks are not to protect the wearer, they are to protect everyone else from the wearer. So if people refuse to wear masks, or wear them like chin nappies, then those of us who need to minimise our risk of being exposed have to wear N95 respirators and eye protection.

Similarly for people who choose to go to mass gatherings and refuse to use the COVID Exposure Notification app.

I remember reading somewhere that you need a reasonable fraction of compliance (I think it’s around 60% uptake for the app, and 80% of people properly wearing masks?) otherwise the system doesn’t work.

4 Likes

Just like HIV I suppose. People accept it as part of our society and apply caution where necessary, but downplay the severity of it.

4 Likes

I attended a bday bash this weekend, we kept social distancing up to a point, I went and washed my hands at least every hour. There was just 12 of us and we spread out as much as possible.

But at some point, we do need more normal - yes its a new normal but people in general are social creatures and they do need more than what they have been getting during the levels 5 - 2.

At least from what I have seen, in my area, we all wear our masks, all sanitise as you go into the mall, when you enter each store.

3 Likes

No disagreement here. We just have to be smart about it for another few months — the way you described.

We’ve definitely seen an increase in the Reproduction Number (Rt) of the virus in South Africa:

It is hovering at around just over 1.0, which is not great but also no cause for alarm just yet.

Looking at the various data dashboards, what this seems to translate to is that our number of active cases is flat. I.e. we have “flattened the curve”—at least with respect to active cases—and ensured that our hospitals are not overrun, exactly like we wanted to.

As long as people don’t get too irresponsible and cause a surge in infections, and a corresponding surge in the Rt, we can carry on like this (masks in public, hand hygiene, screening, testing, and contact tracing) until we get a vaccine to boost herd immunity over the critical threshold.

4 Likes

What I always find interesting on these graphs are the the fact that there are some areas here that was flat from the first day… which never made sent

I have noticed an uptick in the WC as well, not huge but def increase again, we had just hit 2000ish a couple of weeks ago. And now we are going back to 3k.

But the amount hospitalised and in ICU is much lower.

https://coronavirus.westerncape.gov.za/news/story-covid-19-super-spreader-event-young-residents-businesses-need-play-their-part-staying

1 Like

You guys know my feelings.

This is an observation on the mask thing. There is a new breed of person that walks around pick n pay with their mask off but holding a coffee cup in the way to pretend that they’re drinking so they don’t have to wear their mask.

As to the ‘second wave’ sure there will be one. Especially as we get to our next flu season. As a few doctors have said this will join all of the other coronaviruses currently in circulation.

4 Likes

I am very lucky that I spend 90% of my time at home. I HATE wearing a mask because it keeps fogging up my glasses if it is over my nose but I still wear it.

6 Likes

The only place I wear a mask is in the shop and the elevator at home (much to my disgust.) So yeah, needless to say I forget it sometimes and have to go back home.

3 Likes

I went to the clinic yesterday having an asthma attack. The chairs in the waiting room were social distanced. I was still wearing a mask.

I was struggling to breathe, so I pulled the mask away from my face to breathe in, but let it snap back in place every time I exhaled.

If you’re not wearing a mask, it must be because you have a constant need to suck a huge bag of ****s

5 Likes

Agreed, when we go out as a family, we don’t leave the car without our mask in place. The only exception here is my 1yo son. We haven’t visited a mall in since lockdown started in March. We get what we need from any smaller shops or superettes.

Albeit, I walk my son to school and home every day and while this is in a “public” space, I have my buff around my neck. For the same reason you mention, my glasses mist up. But no one is around us and if we pass anyone the masks come on, or when we move into a crowd (i.e. once getting to school).

5 Likes

Haven’t we got a resident canadian here eh?

5 Likes

Corona virus? We’ll have Nunavut

2 Likes
4 Likes

I hope I’m not too tired to remember to read this tomorrow…

BTW, which horseman of the apocalypse are ya? Askin’ for a friend…

2 Likes

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02948-4

The false promise of herd immunity for COVID-19
Why proposals to largely let the virus run its course — embraced by Donald Trump’s administration and others — could bring “untold death and suffering”.

3 Likes

Yeah “herd immunity” is one of those terms that has been misappropriated and lost its true meaning.

Like how Donald Trump took the term “fake news” and weaponised it against the actual news media. The term used to refer to websites which peddled objectively false stories to make money from programmatic click-through advertising (thanks, Google, Facebook, Apple!). Now it just means “news I don’t want to hear” or “facts I find inconvenient to my worldview” or even “editorial/columns I disagree with”.

As a reminder, here’s an article we did at MyBroadband where we interviewed the operator of a fake news website:

Anyway, back to the topic at hand…

Somewhere along the way, the term “herd immunity” has become conflated with a do-nothing strategy in response to COVID-19. I.e. let the virus burn through the population, inoculating those who survive and losing those who are vulnerable. The myth is that you face the short-term pain of some people dying rather than the long-term pain of a collapsed economy, in which people will die anyway.

This proposal has been refined somewhat. Nowadays it’s not to simply let the virus run its course, but for some steps to be taken to protect the most vulnerable, at least.

However, herd immunity is not a pandemic response strategy. The article actually has a pretty good definition of what “herd immunity” actually used to mean:

Herd immunity happens when a virus can’t spread because it keeps encountering people who are protected against infection. Once a sufficient proportion of the population is no longer susceptible, any new outbreak peters out. “You don’t need everyone in the population to be immune — you just need enough people to be immune,” says Caroline Buckee, an epidemiologist at Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health in Boston, Massachusetts.

Typically, herd immunity is discussed as a desirable result of wide-scale vaccination programmes. High levels of vaccination-induced immunity in the population benefits those who can’t receive or sufficiently respond to a vaccine, such as people with compromised immune systems. Many medical professionals hate the term herd immunity, and prefer to call it “herd protection”, Buckee says. That’s because the phenomenon doesn’t actually confer immunity to the virus itself — it only reduces the risk that vulnerable people will come into contact with the pathogen.

In short: the reason we no longer have to get smallpox or polio vaccines is because of herd immunity. Thanks to global cooperation through organisations like the WHO, we have eliminated smallpox from the face of the earth, and have successfully reduced polio’s footprint to a handful of countries.

All that said, I think this article presents a good summary of the argument for why the do-nothing or do-almost-nothing strategy isn’t a good idea.

One thing I didn’t see mentioned in the article is the fact that getting COVID won’t necessarily make you permanently immune like with measles. It is entirely possible that whatever immunity you get against the virus might fade over time — a problem that a vaccine would mitigate.

To be clear: This is specifically an argument for and against the do-nothing and do-almost-nothing strategy, not for or against lockdown. As has been demonstrated in countries with the necessary preparedness and infrastructure in place, it is perfectly reasonable to have a COVID-19 response that does not include a hard lockdown. (FWIW: I don’t think South Africa is one of those countries. It took us months to get ready for our epidemic peak.)

As always, the issue of curfews, not being allowed out to exercise, and bans on cigarettes and alcohol are an entirely separate matter that I think most agree was completely unreasonable.

6 Likes