Counter-Strike 2

CS:GO is getting some TLC from Valve in the form of an upgrade to the Source 2 engine.

Initial improvements offered by this upgrade have been revealed on the CS2 website as well as in the following videos:

4 Likes

won’t lie, i’m rather hyped

2 Likes

Oh man! It looks incredible. The the change to smokes is an absolute game changer. And the subticks for the server! And those maps are looking soo good in the new engine!

I think this is a really smart way to transition to a sequel, it’s still Counter Strike in every way that counts but just better.

Cannot wait to play CS2!

2 Likes

I think the Source 2 Engine story, is the more interesting tidbit here. Valve is all in on VR. From my understanding, modern well known 3D engines are less capable of the high frames and low latency than what the Source 2 Engine can do, with the latest headsets, on less powerful GPU’s. This isn’t a knock on the engines like Unreal and Unity, it’s more of an output of them using so much realtime calculations, in their rendering versus source 2’s mix of pre-calculated and realtime objects/interactions. Here’s hoping someone like 3klikphilips absolutely rips the internals apart, to show us the brilliance of Valve’s engineers.

And yeah, that smoke dissipation is amazing. That’s going to open up a whole different level of team strats :exploding_head:

4 Likes

Can’t wait for the “nade the smoke!” meta

2 Likes

s1mple has already hit a awp, flashed (enemy), no-scope wallbang headshot through smoke in cs2

5 Likes

Lol ofcourse he did. damn.

1 Like
3 Likes

Counter-Strike 2 is real and will arrive as a free upgrade to CS:GO this Summer (in the northern hemisphere that is). So queue the jokes, Valve still can't count to three.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://ink.mostepic.win/counter-strike-2-limited-test/
2 Likes

How do I gain access to the Counter-Strike 2 Limited Test?
Players are selected based on a number of factors deemed important by the Counter-Strike 2 development team, including (but not limited to) recent playtime on Valve official servers, trust factor, and Steam account standing.
Steam :: Counter-Strike 2 Limited Test

Has anyone received a notification to join the Limited Test yet? Speaking with @Pamar with his 2000+ hours and he hasn’t. Nor has he heard of any of the local players that he knows getting one yet either.

1 Like

I haven’t been actively playing for a long time now so very little chance of me getting an invite at this stage. I’ve heard that people have started idling in-game just to increase their chances.

2 Likes

He still has no closer!

<3 warowl.

warowl and 3kliksphilips are the only CS content you need

2 Likes

CS:GO players spent literal days farming hours for CS2 beta keys, now Valve says it doesn’t count | GamesRadar+

LOL.

1 Like

At least they let them know now, instead of leaving them to find out later!

2 Likes

Haha, you would think valve would have taken that into account.

2 Likes

The CS2 announced has definitely reinvigorated interest in the game. CS:GO hit a new all-time high earlier today with over 1.8 million concurrent players in game:

https://steamdb.info/app/730/charts/

2 Likes

Yea but that was everybody just logging in to do their pickems for the major starting next week :smiley:

2 Likes

Introducing CS Rating—a precise display of your skill in Counter-Strike 2. With regional and World Leaderboards you’ll know exactly how you stack up.

Competitive mode now features per-map Skill Groups, so players can master their favorite maps while learning others. And in Counter-Strike 2, match length is changing to 12 round halves, with overtime, to determine a winner.

And beginning today, we are starting the process of inviting as many eligible players as possible to the Limited Test. To be eligible, players must have CS:GO Prime Status, an active Competitive Skill Group, and play the majority of their official matchmaking games in one of the regions where the Limited Test is available.

https://www.counter-strike.net/newsentry/3644028846252008595

Your Time is Now (counter-strike.net)

Per-map Skill Groups! Regional Leaderboards! I’m gonna rule the “Southern African Junior Beginner Novice Class”!

Still saying “Coming Summer 2023”.

2 Likes

A big wave of invites have gone out to RSA players. I checked and I got an invite! Installed it and will play a round soon

1 Like
3 Likes