COVID-19 exposure notification apps privacy concerns (GAEN API / COVID Alert SA)

Why not do a little write-up about it? My wife is dying to share it on her social profiles to educate all the nay-sayers.

5 Likes

Yes I hope that no one does this but I can unfortunately see many people doing this. As faith in Humanity is something I sometimes have very little of.

I just hope that when they saying this is fully anonymous and people keep pushing the Positive status and it comes out people can be tracked this is going to become a shit storm.

3 Likes

See you guys have done a lot to put my mind at easy, one question do you have to leave Bluetooth on? I ask because I never ever use it and it drains my phone bats way to fast.

I agree with the statements on how severe this disease is, I am lucky to have not lost anyone yet. I am also very lucky to know the one main doctor at Tygerberg Hospital who ran/runs the covid ward. So I know exactly what is happening.

The biggest issue I have with the app is simple - the guys who NEEDS to install and use it, are the ones who wont.

So many cases went unreported or only caught when the person and their whole family was on deaths door. Our country has a big population that will not report it due to stigma. And that is a fact.

1 Like

I wrote this recently, but I fear it might be too long for the modern attention span:

Maybe I should do a video :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

So I have decided to download it and will see what its all about and see how long my battery will last as i never have Bluetooth on.

Now one BIG issue i have. This google/apple app has been around since I think April its been 5 months :confused: why did it take this long when it is a google/apple based app. All that should have been changed is the information on the Learn more tab. This is also why I think many people dont want to install it as Who trusts the SA government, and when you think SA government the first thing that comes to my mind is how much was paid to get this done.

2 Likes

That is my big issue, the bluetooth icon alone will drive me insane. The other question is when I do a search for the app it will not find it

1 Like

I had the same issue when i looked for it on my PC. ( I like to install apps via PC I dont know why just feels cool XD)

When I went on my phone and looked for it I still saw the same two but on top It shows up.

Well when i am at home I have the habit of turning on my WiFi and turning off my mobile data. When i leave home I turn off my WiFi and I turn on my mobile Data. Now I will have do the same with Bluetooth

2 Likes

I can’t find anything on either one of them with ‘corona app’ appended online… Didn’t look too far though… It’s a holiday!

Ag man… I don’t want to read through an API… But maybe those hackers mentioned something about this… Your phone’s bluetooth will have to know other phone’s bluetooth’s MAC in order to trade tokens. Can the app get access to that, and if so, are they sure it is not being sent home with the token? sigh I gotta learn bluetooth…

Do you have a link to their research? I’d like to read it over.

Ya, he goes into that. This video is from early April though, and best I could find is v1.1 of the spec was referred to in an article by the (good) EFF published at the end of April. They are on
v1.2 now. I might give it a read some time.

1 Like

Includes links to the app on iOS and Google app stores. And a primer from Google on how exposure notification apps work.

From Business Insider article (but I’ve seen it mentioned elsewhere as well):

Anyone who tests positive for the coronavirus must type in a PIN number the department of health sends by SMS as part of the notification system for Covid-19 tests.

5 Likes

Ah that pin is a smart way of preventing people crying wolf.

4 Likes

I was more thinking of world’s most Murphey’s Law butt-dial.

3 Likes

Wouldn’t that be a “Murfle’s Law” butt dial?

3 Likes

I do!

The system is hardly perfect, but it’s not as trivial as your MAC being exposed:

2 Likes

Colour me edified. Thanks!

/cc @z1oc @Beo

3 Likes

My butt has gotten so big over lockdown I could butt-dial ET’s home.

3 Likes