Dirt Rally 2.0 [MEWRL]

Same here… and getting distracted with PUBG in the evenings didn’t help me either.

4 Likes

NO!!! Did you just crash out on the final stage?! You were doing so well - a surefire P6 in the bag. What happened?

1 Like

Yeah, I’m pretty pissed with myself. I thought I was doing quite well and a small mistake on a high speed section saw me smashing my rear left tire and realising I didn’t have a spare. Couldn’t continue as it was just spinning and not gaining any traction.

3 Likes

Ouch. Ahh well, never mind. There’s a whole new challenge coming up tomorrow. :smiling_imp:

1 Like

Ag I’m just peeved at myself and that it happened, was just a stupid mistake, I felt I was doing great and while I wasn’t particularly competitive I was chugged with my own times.

Ag wat.

3 Likes

So I managed to finish. But man, one long session really wears out your wrist.

6 Likes

A Welsh win makes it two out of two for @Boogey. :1st_place_medal: P1 again, and again by the slimmest of margins - just 42 seconds after 12 stages from :2nd_place_medal: @aldyr in P2. The two of them stay in a league of their own.

Behind them, and trading places back and forth, we have a group of racers all able to snatch the third step on the podium from the others. The time spread between them at the end was just 2:30 seconds. This time around it’s :3rd_place_medal: @The9Avenger9 who takes P3. @Munage and @LazyDemoni fill the Top 5 slots.

A bit of a gap between fifth and @WarRack101 in P6, but he, @Dragonic (P7), and @Oltman (P8) are fairly equally spread with a little more than 4 minutes between them. Another big gap behind them to myself in P9 and @czc, who claims P10 and the last of the Top 10 honours. The two of us clearly chose to take a more leisurely and scenic trip through the Welsh forests. It was a beautiful drive. :slight_smile:

Two more drivers were classified despite crashing out of the rally. Firstly, in P11, @Beo, who incredibly frustratingly, met a Fence Pole of Doom at the start of the final stage and destroyed his run with heavy damage, a punctured tyre, and no spare. (See his replay clip above if you can handle the sadness of it all). Had he made the finish he was looking at a probable P6 finish.

And then, classified in P12 on his MEW Dirt Rally debut, @TheeAlekai, who got his little Alpine through the first five stages before stopping somewhere on Stage 6 to have a pint with the locals. We haven’t seen him since, but he did send a picture of himself in a field with three other blokes, a single bicycle wheel, and a flock of sheep. Don’t know what that’s all about, but he was smiling so we’re not going to ask. :smiley:

Finally, despite deciding after Stage 4 that he’d rather be playing ice hockey, @murfle adds the last point to his overall score for the season.

Talking of which, here’s what the Championship Standings look like after two rounds.

Still ten rallies’ worth of points on offer through the rest of the season, so plenty to drive for, beginning with a trip on the EuroStar to Greece…

5 Likes

MEWRL Rally Championship 2022.1

Round 3: Argolis | Greece :greece:

Event Period

2022-05-28T22:15:00Z2022-06-10T22:00:00Z
Starts: 00:15 - Sunday, 29 May
Ends: 23:59 - Saturday, 6 June

Eligible Cars

Historic Rally H3 (RWD)

• BMW E30 M3 Evo Rally
  • Datsun 240Z
  • Ford Sierra Cosworth RS500
  • Lancia Stratos
  • Opel Ascona 400
  • Renault 5 Turbo

Stages | Routes | Conditions

Long stages to start and end the event, with another two at S4 and S11. Dry again, as it will be for the whole season. No max degradation stages should make for a pretty high speed, albeit very dusty tour around the Argolis hills.

Go get dirty! Gíne vrómikos! :greece:

3 Likes

Where are the wise guys telling me what car to pick? My heart says Lancia but my head says Datsun?

I’m just wondering if the Datsun is going to be fast enough? Best sounding for me though. It would also be nice if the better drivers could drop some tuning and driving wisdom again. I remember they had done so in the past :smiley:

1 Like

BMW M3- fast, consistent, easy to drive
Opel Ascona - easy to drive, a little heavy
Lancia Stratos - difficult to drive, high skill ceiling, best with twisty stages, but it doesn’t handle bumps well. very lightweight, means you can brake the latest.
Datsun 240Z - very easy to drive, slow.
Renault 5 Turbo - absolute bullet in a straight line, but the turbo lag is so bad, EVERY corner exit, is a chore to stop spinning, once the turbo kicks in
Ford Sierra - Heavy, slow, glacial inertia makes it difficult to chain through many corners

There’s no rain, but by the looks of it, stages 3,4 and 9 have high surface degradation, with these cars, means unexpectedly challenging, as the car rocks left and right through the cars. Basically means, if you drift wide of the middle of the road, you can be off camber scrabbling for grip, and slide off a cliff.

8 Likes

It confuses me that a BMW can be FWD, more specifically one of that era and model.

Also, @GregRedd, my vrou loves your write ups.

3 Likes

:blush: Your vrou is a woman of great intellect and wisdom, and has impeccable taste. :grinning:

3 Likes

Huh? The M3 is absolutely not FWD. The whole class is also: H3 RWD.

Anyway, let’s enjoy some M3 rallying:

2 Likes

That’s what I thought! This threw me off.

3 Likes

That’s what I get for copy/pasting and not proof reading. :expressionless:
Fixed. Sorry.

2 Likes

I decided to be a hotshot and choose the Stratos. Whew, it’s tough. I had some great practice sessions where I loved the car. I got used to the turn in, counter steering, then powering away. I loved the light weight too.

In the actual RaceClub events though, I was much less controlled and found the car to be scary. It’s still an experience though.

2 Likes

Yeah I’ve also been doing a few practice runs. Found the Renault to be a wee too Wiley. Tried out the Opel and honestly felt too heavy and feels like a time of turbo lag. I am growing fond of the BMW a d trying to like the Cossy on the dirt.

3 Likes

Bravo and welcome to the masochistic side of the road.

3 Likes

I’m happy as long as I stay on the road!

I was practicing on the first stage, and just loved the Lancia. It was definitely harder than the M3, but more fun. In the 2nd and 3rd stages, the car just felt way twitchier. I don’t know if it was because the surface was different or not.

I tried to adapt some tuning guides online to control the oversteer a bit, but I still find it a bit of a struggle. It is what it is.

What a stunner the Lancia is to look at though!

3 Likes