Forza Horizon

This weeks Forza Review includes the official Car List for FH4 and the Soundtrack listing as well.

https://www.forzamotorsport.net/en-us/news/wir_9_7_18

Not sure how everyone missed this bit of news (maybe just me?) but it seems that MS quietly released a Forza Horizon 4 demo just a few minutes ago. Available on both XBox One and Win10, the demo download is 28.1GB (on PC at least), so prepare your bandwidth appropriately.

No clear news yet of exactly whatā€™s in the demo, but if memory serves, the FH3 demo contained a handful of cars and the first few races in one of the festival areas.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-za/p/forza-horizon-4-demo/9p8cp1l72jxs

2 Likes

And what a demo it is! It runs at a solid 60FPS on Ultra on my 1060 laptopā€¦

I just canā€™t shake the feeling that itā€™s pretty much Horizon 3 skinned with a UK theme though. Since Horizon 3 was my first entry into the franchise, Iā€™m not sure how similar it was to the first 2 games.

2 Likes

The thing about Forza at the moment is that there isnā€™t a lot they can do to revolutionize the series. Just evolving and building on the previous title is pretty much all we should expect.

Ultimately, FH3 was absolutely amazing, and if FH4 is similar to it, but better in a few ways, FH4 will be an fantastic game.

1 Like

Its a pity about the lack of Toyotas and Mitsubishis

1 Like

the current forza titles are just iterative updates eg, forza 6 was 5 with weather and forza 7 was 6 with dynamic weather, graphically the games look almost exactly the same.

On previous gen however forza 2 came out and looked ok, then came 3 that looked miles better, then 4 which looked amazing, you could actually see the giant leaps in graphics.

i actually preferred the progressive structures of the first 2 horizons, horizon 3 feels a bit longwinded imo. atleast with the horizon titles you can see the graphical leaps within their branch of the engine this generation.

1 Like

I honestly canā€™t see much of a difference between Horizon 3 and 4ā€¦ It looks and feels like a ā€œUK DLCā€. Donā€™t get me wrong, I adored Horizon 3, but the demo of 4 just felt TOO familiar.

1 Like

This is exactly whatā€™s holding me back about FH4.
And I canā€™t fault them, because like @DieGrootHammer said there isnā€™t much that they can do to revolutionize.
Iā€™m glad that VW is back though.

1 Like

I was actually planning on not playing the demo before the game released, but the online feedback has been so overwhelmingly good that I just have to try it out. Download started

1 Like

Itā€™s a solid demo, at least on my machine (Have seen a couple of forum & Reddit posts about stutters and crashes). Looks very pretty. Took some Photomode shots last night but canā€™t find them now. Wondering if the demo hasnā€™t been connected to Forza Hub maybe? Will try using straightforward screenshot next time.

Only issue I have with the demo is that you canā€™t save progress in it and have to go through the whole intro races and cut scenes bit each time you start it without anyway to skip it. I can understand forcing the first time, but give us the option to skip straight to the Festival races after that.

We are thrilled to announce the Best of Bond Car Pack as the Day One Car Pack for Forza Horizon 4. The pack is included as part of the Forza Horizon 4 Ultimate Edition and will be playable with early access to the game, beginning on September 28. Players will also be able to purchase the Best of Bond Car Pack separately at the global launch of the game on October 2.

Hereā€™s the full lineup of James Bond Edition cars inspired by the films in the Best of Bond Car Pack.

Ā· 1964 Aston Martin DB5 inspired by Goldfinger (1964), Thunderball (1965), GoldenEye (1995), Skyfall (2012) and Spectre (2015)
Ā· 1969 Aston Martin DBS from On Her Majestyā€™s Secret Service (1969)
Ā· 1974 AMC Hornet X Hatchback from The Man With the Golden Gun (1974)
Ā· 1977 Lotus Esprit S1 from The Spy Who Loved Me (1977)
Ā· 1981 CitroĆ«n 2CV6 from For Your Eyes Only (1981)
Ā· 1986 Aston Martin V8 from The Living Daylights (1987)
Ā· 1999 BMW Z8 from The World is Not Enough (1999)
Ā· 2008 Aston Martin DBS from Quantum of Solace (2008)
Ā· 2010 Jaguar C-X75 from Spectre (2015)
Ā· 2015 Aston Martin DB10 from Spectre (2015)

2 Likes

How to earn Influence pre-release:

Forza Horizon 4 is Microsoftā€™s next big racer and while the gameā€™s early access period doesnā€™t start until September 28, prospective players can begin earning influence now.

Influence is what progresses you through the ranks of the Horizon Life, so the more you earn, the quicker you rank up and unlock new items and experiences. Hereā€™s how to get a head start on it, with the help of Microsoftā€™s Mixer live streaming service.

More details here:

But the basic idea is to log into Mixer with your XBox gamer tag account, and then just watch any of the Forza Horizon 4 streams. Thereā€™s a bunch of their partnered streamers with access to the full game already, so plenty of streams to see the game in action. If you want to avoid spoilers, thereā€™s also a bunch of ā€œInfluence Farmingā€ streams that you literally just need to keep open in a browser tab. (Iā€™ve been streaming the demo in drone mode on my Grizzled Geek channel on and off for a few hours, but thereā€™s many other channels available.)

you wont see a leap in graphics cause in the end of the day the game still need to run on the OG xbox one, the same applies with the core motorsport series, once/if the original xbox one gets dropped we should see better looking forza titles.

What? Have you seen FH4 in 4K running on either a monster PC or the Xbox One X. The game is impossibly gorgeous. Itā€™s not too difficult to see the big graphical improvement from FH3 to FH4.

2 Likes

I really struggle to see the improvements. And thatā€™s with playing the FH4 demo right after an hour of FH3 gameplayā€¦

Metacritic score of 92

Opencritic score of 92

I cannot wait to play this game!!!

1 Like

Also, for those that need more info on the graphics changesā€¦

1 Like

I tried to not follow any news or watch reviews on this.

Iā€™m going in blind. Kinda.

1 Like

Same!

On the subject of reviews, saw a post on Reddit that noted that FH4 is also the highest rated PC game of 2018 at the moment. Admittedly thatā€™s based on only 9/10 criticsā€™ reviews and will invariably drop when the PC users with their myriad of graphical issues start adding their scores. But still, a primarily console-based franchise thatā€™s scoring similar 90% reviews to its XBox version suggests that MSā€™s Play Anywhere approach is working.

Must be honest, Iā€™ve been the opposite this time around :neutral_face:

Been watching a ton of early release streamers. Especially on Mixer to farm Influence points to use in-game. Donā€™t know how useful theyā€™ll end up being but it canā€™t hurt I guess.

One thing I have - so far - been able to resist that Iā€™m proud of is killing the regular temptation to haul the credit card out and buy the Ultimate Edition just to get early access and the James Bond cars. I can resist a few more days. I hope. :grinning: