Gun control, violence in video games and mass shootings

Continuing the discussion from What's your take on violence in gaming?:

It might be an exercise in futility trying to split the discussions on violence in video games and mass shootings, and gun control. I’m still going to try, though.

1 Like

The bottom Line is trump is an IDIOT !! and will do anything along with congress to protect the NRA (national rifle association) so they will constantly steer away from gun control and legitimately look for excuses not to enforce gun control, probably about 80% on republicans in the senate get kickbacks from the NRA, and in the US that is not considered bribes (same applies to the oil companies giving them money) because they call it campaign donations. The us has a heavily flawed democracy (if its still considered a democracy with orange peel incharge)

2 Likes

it worked in the UK and in Japan, if they enforce gun control in the US not every idiot will have easy access to semi automatic weapons, if i go to a mall here i can only buy toy guns from blades and triggers, if they go to a mall there they can go home with an ak 47

1 Like

Japan, which has strict laws for obtaining firearms, seldom has more than 10 shooting deaths a year in a population of 127 million people.

If Japanese people want to own a gun, they must attend an all-day class, pass a written test, and achieve at least 95% accuracy during a shooting-range test.

Then they have to pass a mental-health evaluation at a hospital, as well as a background check, in which the government digs into any criminal records or ties and interviews friends and family members.

Finally, they can buy only shotguns and air rifles — no handguns — and must retake the class and the initial exam every three years.

Unlike in the US, Japanese law has long outlawed guns. Still, the wisdom from Japan seems to be that tighter regulations keep guns confined only to those fit to use them.

The UK’s approach that combines elements of those of the other three countries.

Around when Australia adopted its gun regulations, Parliament passed legislation banning private ownership of handguns in Britain and banned semiautomatic and pump-action firearms throughout the UK. It also required shotgun owners to register their weapons.

A $200 million buyback program led to the government’s purchase of 162,000 guns and 700 tons of ammunition from citizens.

GunPolicy.org estimates that in 2010 there were 3.78 guns per 100 people in the UK, while the US, meanwhile, is estimated to have 101 guns per 100 people.

The result has been roughly 50 to 60 gun deaths a year in England and Wales, which have a population of 56 million. Compare that to the US, a country about six times as large that has more than 160 times as many gun-related homicides.

2 Likes

Personally, I think it has more to with culture than anything else. Iceland for example has one of the highest per capita gun ownership numbers in the world - with zero gun violence. Scandinavian countries also have a lot of guns, with low violence rates. Give everyone in Venezuela a gun though and everybody will be cut to ribbons before breakfast.

Americans are concerned about their right to gun ownership. Not all Americans are idiots drunk on Budweiser shooting rifles into the sky. Most Americans don’t even want guns. But if I lived in dodgy area I’d want something nice and dangerous to defend myself with as I’m sure you criminals have little concern for gun laws.

The topic could be a separate debate thread and not an out of topic discussion here.

Japan has a very different culture though, they are more likely to blame themselves than others and will go out of their way not to dishonor other people by their actions, the west is a very narcissistic driven society where the I is important and always the victim so I think that also plays a role.

Violence in Games is normally less realistic than it is in Movies, so blame movies if anything, I think its utterly ridicules that the Government wants to play parent and spank the public , the public needs to get their shit together and be proper parents , sure give us guidelines so we know what we are potentially buying little jimmy but the moral values we chose to have or bestow upon our spawn is not job of anyone else but the parent.

If you want to blame anyone for what happens in society Blame parents first and then blame everyone else who turns a blind eye because its someone else’s problem

1 Like

The US has had plenty of tards from both sides of the aisle trying to make games the fall guy for violence and it has always failed. Why, because it’s not linked. If it was, there’d be mass global outbreaks of violence after gaming sessions …

No, it comes down to culture and state of mind. Gun control, game control, any control will not do squat. If some looney wants to kill, he will kill :confused:

Violence in video games doesn’t cause violence… bugs do, but it doesn’t cause mass shootings.

While Trump is an idiot, he isn’t alone. Half of Americans are. When it comes to mass shootings, the atheists will blame religion, the rational people will at least consider the guns issue and the Republicans who are supposedly “Christian”, will blame anything else which includes video games. Years ago they probably blamed movies and rap music.

The fact is that an unstable person doesn’t NEED a reason for a mass shooting. He may claim to be doing it for his religion or because of movies or violent video games, but if those factors didn’t apply to him, he would still have done it and simply have had another excuse. The issue is that idiots shouldn’t be able to have access to semi-automatics so easily, but because they have no control in place, any guy off the street can go and buy a gun… even from a relative at a family BBQ (yeah, apparently that’s a thing… trading guns at weekend braais).

South Africa is one of the most violent countries in the world and how many mass shootings do we have? Sure, we have lots of other problems, but mass shootings and school shootings are not among them.

1 Like