Half-Life: Alyx

I will never pre-order, that’s for naive noobs

alt-tab’s and clicks the pre-order button

3 Likes

With how easy Steam makes refunds, I don’t really mind pre-orders anymore if a games looks worthy.

2 Likes

But doesn’t a VR only title count as a hardware exclusive? :thinking::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Before I forget, here’s a video with Geoff Keighley interviewing the devs about how Half-Life: Alyx came to be:

3 Likes

Kind of, but not really, when there are over half a dozen manufacturers of VR Hardware. The only one with ‘exclusives’ is Oculus Rift, and believe me nobody is happy about that (except Facebook fanboys I guess).

I am irritated now with this game. I dont have VR and I dont see myself getting one any time soon. I will not get VR for just one game. I have played on VR and its fun for the 1st few tries but gets meh fast.

I will probably watch people play it on twitch

1 Like

I understand your frustrations, but I still believe VR is the future of gaming.

I think the only thing that would make it great is getting a better way to move around and not get super sick doing it. I could play some games on VR but some when i moved around alot i got so sick. It was not a great feeling.

1 Like

Yeah, in a growing “platform” such as VR, exclusives are really not the way to go.
Glad that valve is including all devices, including WMR :smiley:
Granted I never really need to worry about WMR, if it works on Vive, it works on WMR, but native support is great.

1 Like

I know some comments here are made in jest, but I just want to point out that saying VR gaming is hardware exclusive is the same as saying games were hardware exclusive at around the time of the OG quake because you had to now buy an expensive graphics card, which up until that point, wasn’t necessary.

No self-respecting gamer would go without a nice GPU these days if they could afford it (and sometimes even if they can’t)

1 Like

Prerequisites for VR gaming on PC, is hardware that can KO iron Mike. Oh sure, you can still play by lowering the graphics settings. But really, when using a monitor/keyboard/mouse will net you fantastic fidelity, by comparison.
The amount of money you need to fork out on upgrades, to get comparable good looking VR graphics that doesn’t make you nauseous, versus using a screen, keyboard and mouse, is obscene at the moment. That’s at least one factor, holding back VR adoption. Then add in the space needed. We also have cabled vs wifi. Miniaturisation of large components into a bulky headset, is coming along nicely, but it’s still expensive and only on what? 3rd gen? Which is to say, not mature enough to make it decently affordable, unless you live with the 'rents

Second hand FTW!

1 Like

It’s a pity really, given the hype generated when Oculus first hit Kickstarter. But you’re 100% right, I think. The technology is still too immature and too expensive for the average gamer. Even if it were more affordable, what compelling reason would you have to run out and buy one without decent game support from major developers?

Ew! Not a VR headset, no thanks!

1 Like

3 Likes

ROFL! No, I meant GPUs. I bought a second hand 980TI for R3500 and it does a good job. I’ll get a 1080 when the money is there, but second hand they are going for about R5000-R6000.

1 Like

Luckily I’m in no rush… I’ll probably wait another couple of years at least and then maybe save up some eBucks and buy it with that. The technology will have to have matured quite a bit and there will have a to be a bunch more games that I’d need to be interested in before even considering VR.

I’ll probably do another GPU upgrade before I get VR and seeing that I’m currently running a 1080, I’m guessing that is going to be a while.

Maybe we’ll get lucky and they’ll decide to “port” Alyx to Kb/Mouse if they don’t have enough sales :slight_smile:

So they had to go ahead and great another division in gaming. Us normies are now the peasants of PC gaming.

Nope, they’ll always be the blinfolded idiots running into walls and punching their TV’s :smiley:

@Solitude I see you have not voted in the poll!!! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Done!