Horizon Forbidden West

Horizon Forbidden West continues Aloy’s story as she moves west to a far-future America to brave a majestic, but dangerous frontier where she’ll face awe-inspiring machines and mysterious new threats.

https://imgur.com/a/SM3H0wQ

5 Likes

The first game was amazing, but as so many open worlds tend to get, it was a little repetitive after a while… Never finished it :pensive:

2 Likes

I finished it eventually. I started it, got a bit bored after about 9 months and then binged the last 20 odd hours in 2 weeks when I got back to it. I immediately started the DLC as well, which probably was something that I shouldn’t have done. I felt burnt out after leaving the first “town” of the DLC, ran around the frozen wilds for a bit and then quit. A year later I sold my PS4 and gave the recipient of the console access to my PSN account so he can play all the games I bought.

But I’m still really excited for the new game!

1 Like

It’s really a fantiastic sci-fi story and would urge you to push through, I want to get back into it to do The Frozen Wilds DLC.

1 Like

Weirdly enough I didn’t have a problem with the repetition because for a good chunk of the start of the game I didn’t know what I was meant to be doing. So I just aimlessly explored and killed robots that I came across. This had the OP effect of making me a higher level for when I did eventually realise how to progress the story. :sweat_smile:

Otherwise I wholeheartedly agree with you and…

That it is easily one of the best story driven games I have ever played. It’s also easily one of the most beautiful post-apocalyptic games I have ever played which is probably why I didn’t get bored with the early repetitive aspects of the game. :blush:

I haven’t finished TFW yet, but now that I have a sweet home theatre setup I am contemplating playing the game again from the start to experience it all over again with proper DTS audio. :heart_eyes:

Yeah, I was gifted the digital complete edition and that doesn’t seem to be compatible with my physical save (which I no longer have, but was also the complete edition). Think it’s due to being the US version rather than local. That being said, the only thing stopping me from progressing through all over again is the fact that I would lose 100 hours of gameplay.

Losing all that gameplay to replay the game?

1 Like

Pre-orders start in just over an hour. I hope Sony’s servers are up to the task.

https://store.playstation.com/en-za/concept/10000886/

2 Likes

I love the simple and subtle way that they chose to display the first and second titles respectively.

Screenshot 2021-09-02 at 15.01.55

vs

Screenshot 2021-09-02 at 15.02.42

4 Likes

Never even noticed that. Nice

1 Like

1 Like

Wonder what they mean by ‘Photo mode unlocks’.

Gestures?

2 Likes

I am genuinely envious of the okes that will play this. I really fell in love with this game.

1 Like
2 Likes

That’s a bit kak. Slightly clickbaity title though.

… both the Horizon Forbidden West Collector’s and Regalla Edition are facing a possible delay….
Standard Edition owners are safe for now

1 Like

for now… That is also very ominous.

2 Likes

get it digitally :expressionless:

2 Likes

Early critic reviews are starting to come out ahead of the release of the game on Friday. And they are looking and sounding pretty positive all round again.

Metacritic - 89 / 100

(Currently based on 95 critic reviews)

ComicBook.com - 4 / 5

This is very much a sequel that just looks to go bigger and better than its predecessor, and in that regard, it very much achieves what it sets out to accomplish.

NME - 4 / 5

Probably the prettiest game I’ve ever played, Forbidden West is stronger than its predecessor and rewards you for investing your time with a series of fun weapons, gadgets and narrative beats, but it still can’t resist getting in its own way.

PushSquare - 9/10

Overall, Horizon Forbidden West is a huge improvement on its predecessor. The map is diverse and full of stunning sights; characters and conversations are so much better; and the already great gameplay is enhanced with new weapons, more options, and better melee.

GamesRadar+ - 4½ / 5

What Guerrilla Games has achieved here is nothing short of phenomenal. Story, gameplay, mechanics, and the world itself are all such an improvement on the original game - which in itself is a feat alone.

It’s not all sunshine and electric arrow bolts though… some reviewers are not that enamoroured with Aloy’s wild west adventure:

Gamer.no - 60 / 100

Horizon Forbidden West fails to live up to its predecessor in just about every way. While the world and its many new machines are stunning, the experience is bogged down with confusing design choices and variation for the sake of variation - making Aloy’s newest adventure one to forget.

Meanwhile, PC Gamer are hedging their bets early on, saying “It’s not on PC yet, but almost certainly will be”, and doing a review roundup of the PlayStation exclusive…

Horizon Forbidden West reviews round-up | PC Gamer

The Complete Edition is coming to PC - eventually!

Just launched Epic Games and Steam store pages with an “Available: 2024” release window. No indication of PC pricing yet.

https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/horizon-forbidden-west-complete-edition

Apologies, missed this :wink:

1 Like