How do you pay for electricity

Might be municipality specific. We had the choice when we applied to change from post to pre-paid.

Check with your municipality to find out if you have the option.

3 Likes

I use a combination of FNB, Prepaid24 and Mr Prepaid. All of the options works quite well.
I use FNB to buy on demand and I use the other two to automatically buy at scheduled intervals. The Prepaid24 and Mr Prepaid are for two different properties, hence the two different online services.

FNB shows the token instantly in-app and sends via sms while Prepaid24 and Mr Prepaid sends both an email and sms.

3 Likes

So we took a visit to our new place! (havent been there since before lockdown started) When we got there the meter was beeping, i suspect it was possibly low. the lights worked… So i have a barcode/serial style number thats on the little meter. But dunno where to punch anything in, as i don’t see a keypad (there was a little knob/door thing but i didnt wanna fiddle too much, we were just showing my lady’s mom around)

Is it a bad idea to share the picture/number of this thing
on internet
EDIT: found pic online hehe.
its one of these:

2 Likes

Iam clueless never seen one like that

2 Likes

There must be a wireless keypad somewhere with it. I think I’ve seen something like that before.

2 Likes

I was given like a credit card thingy that goes with it, with another number than what is on the device. is that the number to enter onto the site?
I plan to ask the previous people but they emigrated to UK so might take a while to get hold of them

1 Like

I suspect that is the “brains” of the prepaid meter. Somewhere should be a keypad that plugs into a wall socket. It communicates with the main unit through the power lines in the wall.

Don’t know that unit specifically, but probably something like this

The card you got is probably the SN for the keypad unit used to recharge, but rather make sure.

EDIT: The number used to recharge should be a “14 xxxx xxxx x” format number shown on the main unit, but still make sure.

3 Likes

Will look around a bit when we go back. the unit definitely has a 14 xxx number on it, and the “card” has a completely different CC type number on it. my dad is convinced thats the number that matters, but he also admits he never put money in, just gave card to tenants assuming thats whats needed.

Thanks again for the help guys, i’m in unknown territory here :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Just a piece of advice. A friend of mine had a 2 part unit, with the keypad separate. Keep that thing charged. If you run out of units, and the keypad is dead, you’ll have to ask a neighbour to charge it for you so you can use it.

3 Likes

Interesting. I didn’t even know about the main meter (or I knew of it, but have never seen one). Mine is in the box outside I guess as I only have the keypad. The Hexing keypad is quite silly though since it doesn’t keep the number of units synced. You have to enter 801 to manually refresh or one day your power just goes off without warning and then it is because the units were up and no warning.

If they have the same keypad as the one in the picture above (Hexing), it isn’t a problem as they can just replace the batteries. 4x AA at the back.

3 Likes

Weird. I’m fairly certain my unit was showing 8 units remaining, and thats why it was beeping annoyingly, to let you know its low. Didn’t go past the place yesterday but am going this afternoon after work and my lady and co have asked that i get electricity sorted so they can start moving/unpacking all her crap (and i mean that genuinely, she has ROOMS full of clothes) at night with lights on. So yea, hopefully i find a keypad thingy in the house somewhere…otherwise not really sure where to go from there besides asking the people that moved out how they bought electricity.

2 Likes

right! so i found the little wireless keypad thingy. even though online the websites don’t seem to register my meter serial number thingy, my absa app was able ot see it, registered and the address and everything. Loaded up R100 and punched the token i got into the wireless unit and bam! 42.x units. should last us until next month i hope :stuck_out_tongue:

Ended up being really easy thanks to the info/feedback you guys provided! thanks again for the help.

4 Likes

Pro tip - never let your balance run below 40 units, as they go very quickly. I’d load up another R900 odd if I were you. :wink:

2 Likes

At this point we aren’t really using any electricity, since zero appliances are plugged in (yet to buy, plan to this weekend, have spent a few months getting pricing and the items we interested in), and they only put on a few lights last night so they can continue unpacking. I really hope it doesnt go quick with just that. Even the geyser is switched off :stuck_out_tongue:

But yea, guess i’ll find out quickly how fast it goes down now that i’m actually paying for it :smiley:

2 Likes

You’ll be surprised how quickly it goes. When we were on holiday for 6 days, I switched off geysers and the like, so only the fridges were running (and the little power draw for microwave’s display, bedside alarm, router, etc.) and a good 70 odd units were consumed during that period.

2 Likes

I swear it is in my head but it does sometimes feels that even when there is nothing running aka DB is off, it still ticks off

1 Like

Will def be keeping an eye on it in the beginning to gauge our usage, especially as more stuff gets added

1 Like

I remember at our last office that we put in R500 every month and a half. That was computers, laptops, server and kettle boiling.

2 Likes