Mafia: Trilogy (Definitive Edition Releases)

You can have mine :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Man, the anticipation is climbing for this. I am really looking forward to it.

2 Likes

So, we have some more details on the Mafia Trilogy. The two big bits of news are:

1. The original game is getting a full remake from the ground up (and is very favourably priced on Steam!)
  2. Owners of the 2 more recent games get access to the Definitive Editions of Mafia II and Mafia III immediately.

The centerpiece of Mafia: Trilogy, Mafia: Definitive Edition, is a complete overhaul of the original game that was released to widespread critical acclaim in 2002, and improves on the beloved classic in every way imaginable.

Rebuilt from the ground up by Hangar 13, it’s a faithful but expanded 4K- and HDR-ready remake that not only makes dramatic improvements to the original’s visuals and gameplay, but also builds upon its award-winning narrative and adds new features like motorcycles and collectibles to the 1930s city of Lost Heaven.

Mafia: Definitive Edition will debut on August 28, 2020 and is now available for pre-order on its own and as part of Mafia: Trilogy.

Mafia II: Definitive Edition—a lovingly remastered version of the 2010 fan favorite with greatly improved visuals and audio—and Mafia III: Definitive Edition are available starting today, and come complete with all of their respective story add-ons as well as a host of other bonus items.

Note that if you already own Mafia II on Steam, you will be automatically granted Mafia II: Definitive Edition at no additional cost. Furthermore, if you already own Mafia III on Xbox One, PlayStation 4, or Steam, you will be upgraded to Mafia III: Definitive Edition at no additional cost.

Not sure why the embed for III is being weird. Here’s the link: https://store.steampowered.com/app/360430/Mafia_III_Definitive_Edition/

Wonder if I qualify with “Classic” Mafia 2? Mafia 3 is already Definitive edition???

EDIT: I see the Mafia 3 Def Ed launches today, hence the inclusion in my library :grin:

Final Edit:

1 Like

This is on the Mafia II DE store page:
I assume that because you owned Mafia II beforehand, and you’ve been upgraded to the DE automatically it see things as you having “bought” it and gives the Classic version too. I do think things are still a bit iffy over on Steam - links not working, can’t find the actual listing for the Trilogy anywhere. May take a litlle while to sort itself out.

1 Like

Also, my library said the same as yours initially. But the Mafia II DE page on Steam definitely says “is already in your Steam library”. I clicked on the “Play Now” button on there, then Open Steam Client Bootstrapper, and it appeared in my list, canclled the installation prompt and it stayed:

1 Like

Also just noticed my Mafia II was renamed to Mafia II: Classic with a 343Mb update.

1 Like

That’s a great price for Mafia 1. I’ll probably buy it sooner rather than later.

1 Like

I claimed the Mafia II remaster this morning. Seeing as I only ever played the first hour of the original, I might just delve into the remaster rather. What’s concerning is the removal of PhysX from the remaster. I adore it in games that implement it properly and Mafia II had it in spades.

I played Mafia twice. Once through in English and then I switched the language to Czech.

2 Likes

Was it subtitled or fully dubbed Czech voice acting? How was it?

There was Czech voice acting. It was a Czech studio that originally made Mafia.

2 Likes

Ahh, of course. It’s still the same for all 3 isn’t it? 2K-Czech are credited with II and III, but they were still Illusion Software when they created the first game.

Apparently you can manually reactivate the physX. One of the steam reviews mentioned it

As Wlad says, it sounds like PhysX is still in, just being implemented differently and toned down. I’ve seen similar mentions on both the MafaiTheGame Reddit and the Mafia II Steam Discussion pages:

PhysX is clearly present in the DE.
It’s just not in the game settings anymore but instead tied with an other graphic option.
When the game starts, the PhysX logo can be seen in the intro.
And when you load up the benchmark, you can clearly see the PhysX debris and particles flying around, altough the benchmark has been bugged and and may look a bit weird.
So In summary: Yes PhysX is still present in Mafia II Definitive Edition.

PhysX is present.
It’s just no longer an option to enable/disable it from the game settings.
Run the benchmark and you’ll see that the particles are still there.
It’s just been toned down a bit.

PhysX is present and affect itself is not dialed back. I compared both originals and present
But the remaining debris count has be significantly reduced compared to original. Caused destruction in game does not feel as strong as originals

Well that settles it. I might just give the game a bash in the near future.

1 Like

28 August can’t come soon enough!

2 Likes

Screw it. It’s cheap and I started working again today. Bought it.

Going to give Mafia II DE a try now as well and I actually want to play 3 as well since the DE has the DLC which I never played.

2 Likes

I know right! Would love to get this, it’s one title/game that I am rather anticipating this year.

2 Likes
1 Like