The Sim Racing Rig Thread

Pfft… Train like Kimi

5 Likes

I like it!

1 Like

Problem solved:

VW Golf 7R seat, still with the airbag in and everything! Soooo comfortable!

Now who shall I target for a popcorn? :thinking:

5 Likes

You could probably sell that airbag

1 Like

Noooo, he’s going to need it in case Magnussen or Grosjean are in the vicinity.

4 Likes

@oltman I have to say I am super jealous. The rig is looking really great. I might just take on a similar project at the end of the year when I have a bit more time.

2 Likes

Thanks! Let me know when you doing it and I will give you some tips from my experience! That goes for anyone wanting to do something like this. Free advice!

1 Like

Wow awesome stuff @oltman! We need a final pick with the Golf R seat in. How much did you pay for that seat if I may ask?

1 Like

The Golf seat cost me R3k from a Durban guy. Not sure if this one is a salvage or if this is a racing replacement. Anyway, looks pretty fine!

The entire rig, seat and all, cost me just shy of R7k. A big investment, but already paying off in lap times!

That is until I send my wheel back… The Thrustmaster TX wheel keeps losing force feedback after about 30 minutes of racing. Contacted Rebeltech and started the RMA. SARS paid me out recently so considering an upgrade rather than a replacement, because online the TX is getting a lot of flack for losing power.

1 Like

I like it a lot. One day when we move it will definitely be one of the top things on my list that I would like to get.

It’s a shame about your wheel however! I hope you can get that upgrade.

2 Likes

Good news and bad news:

Good news: my faulty wheel is getting refunded!
Bad news: no stock available for the new wheel for the next 8 weeks!

Sometimes SA really is on the back side of the world!

2 Likes

Aw, that’s a crazy long time to wait. Can’t you get the wheel from Evetech maybe?

1 Like

This wait is for the supplier to get. Nobody keeps them in stock. I checked and mailed and phoned like 10 different places.

Evetech has some in stock, but its either the more expensive one or the very cheap ones. Who knows, maybe by next week I am so desperate I just buy the expensive one!

Or I might take a certain local online retailer up on their 30 days no questions asked return policy and get a really fancy wheel to test… That wont be unethical, right? Back me up here…

3 Likes

Haha what is the really fancy wheel?

I told myself that if I can get good enough then I’ll get a Fanatec wheel. But then I’ll have to be at least top 10%. Currently I’m probably around top 40%.

1 Like

I don’t see the problem with it? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

So, I FINALLY got my new wheel and installed it over the weekend. It took some time to get all the settings just right in the few games I play, but the result is leaps and bounds above the TX! It already got me a win in the F1 league :wink:

Here she is:

We needed some improvisation to get the shorter drivers closer to the pedals… (the teddy is for safety :wink:)

Now the only thing left to do is to recable everything and get the station neat again. The problem is that any cable management eats into driving time…

7 Likes

The TX is the one that had to be returned right? So which model is it now exactly?

1 Like

I now have the Thrustmaster TS-XW. I think this is about as good as Thrustmaster make. I was too scared to import Fanatec gear :blush:

4 Likes

Very, very nice!

I think you’re going to have to negotiate a bigger sponsorship deal than what I mentioned earlier :grinning:

2 Likes

Wheels for everybody!

unnamed%20(1)

3 Likes