Official Movie Trailer Thread

Queenpins

Couponing goes criminal in Queenpins. Inspired by a true story, Queenpins is an outrageous comedy about a bored and frustrated suburban homemaker, Connie (Kristen Bell) and her best pal JoJo (Kirby Howell-Baptiste), a vlogger with dreams, who turn a hobby into a multi-million dollar counterfeit coupon caper.

Stars Kristen Bell, Kirby Howell-Baptiste, Paul Walter Hauser, Vince Vaughn and Bebe Rexha
In theaters September 10th and coming soon to Paramount+

2 Likes

Isn’t that the chick from The Good Place?

2 Likes

And Veronica Mars

2 Likes

You both forget her best role: Anna in Frozen and it’s sequel. Yip, I am a proud father of 2 girls and married to a wife that checks every star on IMDB.

3 Likes

Call me strange but I will most definitely pass on watching a movie that glorifies or even makes light of fraud, theft, murder.

This looks like it is in the same ballpark as those Ocean’s x movies and others where the movie crafts an appreciation for how clever and inventive a thief is. That disgusts me.

Don’t even get me started on things like Breaking Bad, Ozarks etc

2 Likes

It’s called entertainment.

1 Like

Not trying to stir the pot, do you also draw the line at sex, violence, nudity, drug use, language? And what sets that apart from the other categories?

OR is it because this is based on a true story and thereby real criminals gets glorified?

I ask because I have some real struggles at times at what is and what is not appropriate…

2 Likes

My previous comment was in jest, just FYI.

Definitely, an interesting conversation to be had indeed. If you apply Shrike’s and your comments in tow there won’t be much left for you to watch or garner entertainment from. I do get where Shrike is coming from and what he is saying, you’ve just broadened that scope, I too struggle with content that is appropriate not just for myself, for my family and kids too.

I also struggle with this at times, not just for movies but with my games too. Not just if we’re actively watching/playing, you’re still oxposing anyone in the vicinity to it too.

2 Likes

Interesting discussion for sure. I object to a piece of entertainment that is specifically crafted (and yes, I use the word “crafted” purposefully here) to glorify morally objectionable and even ambiguous events or things people do.

I really find it really horrible when entertainment makes morality moot just because the methods used in the narrative are “clever” or “intelligent” at best or even funny at worst.

This has nothing to do with the use of drugs, violence or sex in entertainment but everything to do with how the moral narrative is painted more favourably. It really triggers me.

3 Likes

I play computer games every day where my character murders thousands on a regular basis. The moral narrative here is always that it is in service of justice, protection of the weak etc.

The fact that it remains murder is another discussion entirely. Let us put that into the perspective of something like GTA and its incarnations. There, the clever, skillful methods to rob and murder people for nothing other than personal gain is “crafted” and glorified in the manner I explained in my previous post.

Now there is a game I will never play for that reason.

3 Likes

1 Like

I really respect firm beliefs and the ability to uphold them! Kudos!

2 Likes

The Duke

THE DUKE is the true story of Kempton Bunton, a 60-year old taxi driver, who stole Goya’s portrait of the Duke of Wellington from the National Gallery in London. It was the first (and remains the only) theft in the Gallery’s history.

Stars Jim Broadbent, Helen Mirren, Fionn Whitehead

Currently screening at Festivals only, “coming to cinemas soon”. (Propabably only 2022.)

1 Like

Loved this conversation - really interesting take on the “consume all the content, all the time” mentality.

Would love your thoughts on the trailer I just posted - The Duke. The burlb goes on a bit after the initial pitch line:

THE DUKE is the true story of Kempton Bunton, a 60-year old taxi driver, who stole Goya’s portrait of the Duke of Wellington from the National Gallery in London. It was the first (and remains the only) theft in the Gallery’s history.

Kempton sent ransom notes saying that he would return the painting on condition that the government invested more in care for the elderly - he had long campaigned for pensioners to receive free television. What happened next became the stuff of legend. Only 50 years later did the full story emerge - Kempton had spun a web of lies. The only truth was that he was a good man, determined to change the world and save his marriage - how and why he used the Duke to achieve that is a wonderfully uplifting tale.

1 Like

From sim racing to real racing.
From streamer to actor.
This man is going places…

2 Likes

As in Jimmy Broadbent, the YouTuber?

Seems to be.

unfortunately nope :stuck_out_tongue:

Exactly what I thought when I saw it XD

1 Like

lol oops… I was browsing on my phone and didn’t scroll past that post. Mybad.

2 Likes