Recommend me a good but affordable mechanical keyboard

Ok cool, I will keep that in mind. I did come across some posts about manufacturer defects but in checking the part numbers I see that mine was a later batch and so wasn’t part of the known batch defects.

I finally pulled the trigger on getting a new keyboard, the Gamdias Hermes P1 (Brown Switches)

The special at Evetech was too good to resist at R500 (Link) and it had pretty much everything that I was looking for. The reviews on it are all positive (8/10 for the most part) so I figured why not.

The build quality is good and the brown switches are not too noisy. The RGB macguffins, though not necessary, are pretty fun too. Will post my thoughts after some gaming and typing.

3 Likes

Will look forward to hearing some feedback. I am eyeing that exact one with the brown switches.

1 Like

Okay, so some feedback after the first day of use.

It’s a real pleasure to type on - something that probably goes for all mech keyboards but it really is great.

Gaming wise it felt good and really responsive while playing some Apex Legends and CSGO. My old board also had 1000Hz polling but this just seems so much more immediately responsive. One example of this is doing a bit of bunny hopping in CSGO, I found I could get the timing right some of the time with the old keyboard but with this I seem to nail it every time, it’s far more intuitive.

I also found the noise of the keystrokes to be barely noticeable when I had my headphones on and immersed in the game. I could hear them if I made a point listening for the keystrokes but when I focused on the game I didn’t notice them.

My only gripe, and it is a minor one is that the palm rest doesn’t really click in but more like slots into the keyboard and I found my palm lifting it a bit when I moved my hand. After a bit of wiggling I managed to get it wedged in so that it wouldn’t lift. So now it’s all fine. A minor thing though.

1 Like

Resurrects thread

@DarthMol what do you think of the keyboard? My current keyboard is giving problems and I’m thinking of going the mechanical keyboard route.

Also any other new recommendations? @SIGSTART I remember you mentioned a brand in some other thread but I sure can’t remember what it was.

2 Likes

Still loving the keyboard, would never be able to go back to a non-mechanical. In terms of value for money I feel it can’t be beat.

The only hassle I had recently was a software issue, but that was probably with the latest Windows updates breaking things. I just uninstalled the software and the problem went away. There is a more up to date version of the software available, I just haven’t bothered to install it yet since I’m not playing around with the RGB layouts at the moment.

2 Likes

Thank you very much @DarthMol!

1 Like

How loud is not to loud? aka will people hear you typing via discord? It is something that drives me insane

1 Like

I’ve never had anyone complain about my typing when we’re on discord. But I’d be happy to hop on the MEW discord and mash the keys so you can hear how much noise they make :grin:

I have the brown switches - I think the blues are noisier.

3 Likes

I’ve got blues. They are definitely louder.

3 Likes

Its a pet peeve for me :stuck_out_tongue: Murfle tho I dont think I have heard your keyboard on discord when we game yet

2 Likes

If you guys need a loud keyboard speak to @Mottamort

2 Likes

Was going to say the same! Those Razer greens are noisy

1 Like

There’s not too much typing going on with most of what we play…

2 Likes

I DONT KNOW WHAT YOU GUYS ARE TALKING ABOUT! MY KEYBOARD IS JUST FINE.

:smiley:

edit: slightly less sarcastic note, if you’re using discord over teamspeak, you deserve to hear my background noises. I can tweak TS perfectly to not pickup my keys unless I also happen to be speaking, but discord is suuuper crap when it comes to fine tuning either mic or even echo cancellation, really dont know why people use that as a voice channel.

2 Likes

I’ve used Corsair / CM Storm as my keyboard of choice for years until I traveled to the US and was able to bring back a Unicomp remake of the old IBM Model M keyboards. Unicomp uses buckling spring switches and it is the greatest keyboard ever made (FITE ME!)

I’ve owned Cherry MX black and red keyboards, but I’ve used brown switches too and thought they were great. In hindsight, I would not go with a keyboard that uses Cherry MX black switches. I just don’t like the feel or sound of them.

The only complaint I have about my CM Storms is that the escape switch wore out on my tenkeyless Cherry MX black keyboard (Quickfire Rapid).

This is me. My keyboard is loud. I mute my microphone when I’m typing and not speaking for this reason. That said, my friends chew on microphone, so we’re all pretty forgiving actually :stuck_out_tongue:.

4 Likes

Thank you! Aw unfortunately it doesn’t look like Unicomp is sold here in South Africa.

Will do some research.

3 Likes

Rebeltech sells Ducky keyboard. Not overly affordable, but if you go for the ZERO with no keypad, its about R1000…

For my Cherry MX Blues, it was either Ducky, or the Das Keyboard I ended up getting.

2 Likes

No, and importing them is ridiculously expensive because of how heavy the keyboards are. Shipping (i.e. air freight) costs as much as the keyboard!

2 Likes

SteelSeries APEX M750, it’s not cheap but it is definitely worth the money

2 Likes