AMD Ryzen CPUs

Diagram time.

1 Like

The Computex AMD keynote will begin at 4am tomorrow morning, in case anyone has a bout of insomnia. :smiley: Excited to finally hear the details about the new products!

Some exclusive info from Gamers Nexus. Apparently the keynote will unveil the 570x moboā€™s.

They claim frequencies,oc and pricing wonā€™t be unveiled here but the cpuā€™s will be unveiled at E3 on June 10.

They also say 3000 cpuā€™s and x570 pre orders will open 1 July. Nda for reviews will lift 7 July along with product launch.

1 Like

Steve was wrong, as it turns out.

IPC has been improved by 15% over the previous generation; they claim to match or beat Intel in single core performance, and with better power consumption. In multi-core performance itā€™s simply no contest. Canā€™t wait to see official benchmarks.

2 Likes

Apparently they announced two additional chips in the press release. Here is the full list of CPUā€™s:

Some very, very tasty new options on offer.

1 Like

Mobo announcements for x570 .

No pricing on the moboā€™s as yet.

Personally I am liking the look of a 3900x . Mobo will depend on pricing likely one of the high end asus or msi boards.

1 Like

Too pricey for my taste. I would like to see the official benchmark numbers for the 6c/12t processors. Those should be excellent value for money.

I can not wait for some reviews.

2 Likes

Meanwhile, from over in Taiwanā€¦ Intel, in an obvious attempt to counter the AMD news, started shipping 10th Gen ā€œIce Lakeā€ processors.

Competition is good. Hopefully @SIGSTART puts out a decent MyBB write up on his Computex visit soon. And hopefully thereā€™s some independent comparison testing soon too.

1 Like

Iā€™ve honestly been spending my time at OEMs, and gaming peripheral and accessories makers and such. Mainly grabbing photos to try and give yā€™all a sense of what the show is like, hopefully with a write-up or two of something interesting Iā€™ve seen.

AMD and Intel are in an entirely different area of the city (Iā€™m in the Nangang Expo Centreā€¦ there is a whole second part of the show in the Taiwan World Trade Centre / TICC)

Do you think it may be worthwhile to visit their booth? (Iā€™m worried it might not be and itā€™s quite far away)

Are there particular questions you want answered? (There is ready access to their international PR people here, which is sometimes difficult to get from South Africa. If thereā€™s something you want to know that they can realistically answer, it could be worth it for me to visit.)

2 Likes

Ahh, didnā€™t realise that. Definitely donā€™t waste your time and funds on a trip out there, especially if all youā€™ll probably get is the default PR pitch anyway. I mean, the only real thing that would be of specific interest to us (from both AMD and Intel) is when all these lovely new and shinies will reach our sunny shores, and more importantly, what the hell theyā€™re going to cost us.

And honestly, I doubt weā€™re going to be overly thrilled by the answers to both those questions anyway, so I wouldnā€™t stress too much about getting them. So no, rather keep doing what youā€™re doing and show us all the lovely toys that we wonā€™t get to see or canā€™t afford - let us live vicariously through you :slight_smile:

3 Likes

If the rand could just strengthen!

We canā€™t afford any tech because the weaksauce rand has basically made everything 50%ā€“60% more expensive.

I was looking at a dual-screen accessory for my laptop (Iā€™ve really been missing my second screen):

Lets say it costs $399. At R14.34 per USD, thatā€™s R5722. If you bring the rand back down to R8 per USD the same thing costs R3192!

Anywayā€¦ Iā€™ll try to get to the TICC sometime this week at least. Itā€™s only a R100 Uber ride or so, but Iā€™d want to give myself a full day to explore both halls.

3 Likes

a good question would be when there new products would be available in South Africa and rand price?

I am looking into getting new Ryzen 3 system and would be good to know how long i have to save :smiley:

4 Likes

I ran into the CTO of one of our local distributors on the expo floor and apparently reps from several other distributors are also here. Iā€™ll start asking them so long so they know we want to know :wink:.

3 Likes

Ya apparently the Evetech guys are also over there.

2 Likes

We do tech as well from what I saw

2 Likes

The official launch is 7 July. Expect local availability very shortly thereafter.

3 Likes

They shoudl be available shortly after launch here unless there is a global shortage. Donā€™t recall us in the last while having difficulty with amd cpuā€™s and mobo availability.

Pricing we will have to see. Moboā€™s will apparently be higher priced per gaming nexus,ect . Apparently most of the mobo manufacturers are using server grade component this time round. So pricing on the moboā€™s will be higher then last gen. CPUā€™s seem to be priced at ryzen 1st gen pricing, so slightly higher then gen 2 but not massively.

4 Likes

By the way, if youā€™re planning on a 3rd gen Ryzen purchase, the following chart is super important.

So in summary: Ryzen 1st gen chips will NOT work on X570 boards. Also, 3rd gen chips are not guaranteed to work on B350 or X370 boards.

5 Likes

So, the 16-core Ryzen 9 is officially a thing:

AMD also announced the Radeon 5700 GPUā€™s that will be hitting the market in July. I was hoping for something a bit cheaper, to be honest. Performance looks promising though.

3 Likes