Site and Community launch ideas

I love that movie :heart_eyes:

I take it this is mostly for the forum part of mygaming. Are we gonna try do to news etc type stuff as well? Obviously I know that will be very difficult, was just wondering.

On of the biggest reasons I keep visiting SAGAMER forum, is the marketplace.Its a major drawcard, as I like scrolling through the deals to see if there are any bargains. This might just apply to me personally, but I suspect there are a number of others in a similiar boat. Then, while there, I end up commenting of posting on something or the other.

will we be having a similiar MARKETPLACE sub-thread on M.E.W. ?

That’s a very good question. I’d say it’s beneficial. It comes with its own problems but it will definitely grow the forum and keep it alive.

@SIGSTART, what do you think?

Good suggestion! I’ll look into it and see how best we can implement it.

If ya’ll are cool with waiting a bit, I’d like to look at launching functionality like that in the new year?

Right, I’ve got a few more ideas and comments to make. I think that time is running out and we need to get to a point where some decisions are made so that we can get everything in place:

Aim and focus of the site/forum:
We focus on geek culture. Gaming, Anime, Tabletop gaming, comics, consoles, the whole works. We make sure we cover conversations covering the entire spectrum. This will give us the best chance of getting more and new people. I honestly don’t think there is any site like that in SA. most are specified on one, but not to all the aspects of geekdom

Costing and financing.
This will always be a problem. There will be cost involved hosting and maintaining the domain of the site. There will be marketing and other costing involved in gaining more people and more options. I’d suggest we put a Patreon in place and give people the opportunity to donate via Patreon or Bitcoin. Let’s be new and bold! Once the site picks off (hopefully it does) we can get advertising onto the site as well. While people may frown upon this, it’s is a good way of gaining financial independence. There will be tax implications, however, and I’m sure that the business side will need to be ironed out first. Like who the owners are, where the money goes to, who decides on where it is spent and stuff like that.

Blogs, Articles and Content.
The site will live or die on the content we create. At the start we as the community will need to manage that. We’ll start out small, focusing on threads and posting links to news articles. We don’t need to write them ourselves, just link them and perhaps add an opinion. But, we will need to add one big “article” or “blog” to the site. Something written by the community. We might even get a few different people writing it, and only selecting one per week. I am more than happy to write one article per week for consideration. In the meanwhile, we keep on adding content to the community through the Game Club thing, Official threads and other stuff

Marketplace
While I am reluctant to the idea of a marketplace, there is no denying the fact that it brings in traffic. Carbonite is extremely locked down to new people, and I’m pretty sure using Discourse we can get a much more user and newcomer friendly way of implementing this. Especially with the levels. The levels will absolutely enable us to manage it much better

Marketing and Social Media
Big risk area. Marketing and social media management of the site, getting the name out there, is going to be a lot of work. Perhaps we can come to an arrangement where there are multiple people with login details to try and assist with this, but this might be difficult. We absolutely will, however, need to market the site. On Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and the likes. Perhaps later on adding things like podcasts and Youtube videos to the list of stuff and get our community out there that way. Then at conventions, we must have a presence, taking pictures, talking to people, handing out business cards to the site or something like that. Also perhaps leverage some of the current community contacts to get people in Anime, Tabletop, cosplay and other geek circles into the community as well.

Logo and name
Probably at the moment the biggest thing to be focused on right now. At least we’ve got some time, but we’ll need to add a poll somewhere to let the community vote on the name, perhaps get someone with an inkling to the creative side of life to make a couple of logos for the chosen name, then we vote on that as well. We keep it within the community if we can.

Right, those are some ideas I’ve been mulling over.

2 Likes

I told @SIGSTART he can give me a shout if there is help needed with hosting. I cant offer a lot, but i can offer that.

Thanks for taking the time to put all of that down in writing. I’ve pretty much been mulling over similar ideas, sans the marketplace.

I’m with you on the aim and focus.

I agree that the endeavour will need to make money in order to keep running.

I’m with you on the content.

Logo and name, it looks like community.mostepic.win is quite liked at the moment.

Also just to expound on the community gaming aspect possibly things like a whole bunch of peeps just dropping into a server and playing a game, like Counter Strike for example.

1 Like

'n Braai ! ! !

1 Like

Not that I have a “problem” per se with the whole community.mostepic.win - I just think it’s a little too niche or cliche based on the subject matter. If you want to stay with the geekdom fandom esque culture I think something like forthe.win would lend itself better. I just feel the current name “community.mostepic.win” was a placeholder for something better.

That being said, I personally think a name and or domain name change is needed. Not that I don’t like the current formality, I just feel we need a fothold of we are to enter this market with a new name that will make an impact and represent the subject matter and material that we wish to cover.

Gamers’n’Geeks.win
Geeking.out
Stompthegeek.com

As @DieGrootHammer said, costing and financing will always be an issue. I think we should remain free or at the very least register an NPO with a few of us as the “board” or shareholders.

Though I think going forward we will need from at the very least, a select few to continually contribute to the overall running of the site. Like @Wyvern said, she can contribute her time to pushing the social meda aspect. We could have another 2 people writing opinion pieces at least once a week. We need one or two to focus on other non-game related contence, like comics and TV series/movies. Of course Senai @Glordit will head up the anime department. 'Hammer and myself can cover the console section. The man @Flex and @DohcWP will cover deals and marketplace related content.

Of course these are all just examples but you get the direction I’m going with this. I want to start working on some mockups of potential ideas and so forth, but we can’t have logos or images unless we have a name.

Stand up and be counted, let’s get to the bottom of this. Unless of course everyone is just happy or settling with the community.mostepic.win.

Peace…

2 Likes

I would be keen to do any hardware related news, specials anything like that. Can also try do write ups of all the hardware and peripherals I have used as it has been a ludicrous amount.

And then also the Market Place, I think I am definitely suited for that. A trusted member on all the large trading, buying and selling tech platforms.

So will def put my hand up for those when the time comes to get it going

2 Likes

I’d definitely like to give opinions or news on anime in general if I can. I’d probably keep it simple with popular shows and what to watch this week/month/season. I will keep all the sales and statistics to MAL and ANN.

Could also have a little wiki area on the whole medium, to help introduce people into it who are interested.

1 Like

Would be great. This is why we are aiming to have a more open geek community and not just gaming. Have a full dedicated anime category with various threads drawing in people from that side of geekdom into the site. That would be awesome. You’d expose a bunch of people to new things they may never have known about, either in gaming or anime.

1 Like

Will this include all the popular hentai as well though?

1 Like

Good, maybe you can help me out and tell me why the guy runs away so funny in the first episode of Anime Crimes Division.

1 Like

With his arms flailing behind him? Probably from Naruto.

Edit: To add context, it’s just how the characters run in Naruto. Although I recall it did exsist in series prior to Naruto.

Think that could be said a little better.

I think it rather needs to be decided on, sooner rather than later.

We’re already getting too comfortable here and treating it like another space that was MyGaming, or as a replacement. I just don’t want us to get too comfy here if it’s going to change and everything to be uprooted and moved, again.

agreed. People already making logos an colour schemes but no name has been decided on

I was thinking… I know it’s rather dangerous, but bear with me.

I believe (or it’s my understanding) that if we keep this as a ‘non-profit orginization’ that the business’ financials are transparant and open to anyone and everyone (or just the “board”), am I correct?

In saying and assuming that, any money the business makes goes directly back into the running of the business. There’s allows the business to continue supporting itself in running costs, domain, hosting, etc. Not to mention that any funds that accumulate can be pumped into social aspects, competition, prizes and giveaways.

I dunno, I would prefer to take on this opertunity as an option to create a community than treating it as a business to make profits from. It still requires a business model though.

Unless I got the wrong end of the stick from the initial options and prospectives when @SIGSTART drove this initiative.

What do you guys think, how do YOU guys/gals feel about this?

1 Like

Which is why I consolidated all the names into the Naming Thread Here so that we can decide and go to the next step.