Solar Power

Well how it currently works is that each unit pays for their own electricity but we also have common property electricity usage. This is for example stair lights and carport lights as well as the guardroom and cctv equipment.

So our complex is set up basically as blocks of 4 units. Two units on the bottom and two units above those. So the idea is that each block of 4 could essential with the roof space available be able to generate electricity for that block, the balance would go to the common property electricity. Our biggest problem would be a space to keep the actual batteries.

2 Likes

Also busy getting more solar currently have 7kw system that pushes back to grid but adding more panels and battery system.(3x 3.5kw batteries with 6 more panels with a 5kw inverter) current inverter can not do batteries :frowning: so got new 5 kw inverter

1 Like

You getting paid for that?

My boss didn’t have a “no feedback device” So he was basically paying to export to the grid.

2 Likes

no but I end up using more unit a month than what a generate. so using grid as a battery :smiley:

Edit. Meter runs in reverse. knew would do that when doing the first system as neighbor also doing the same

2 Likes

I’m not even sure why this was a thing, but here:
Good news about electricity self-generation in South Africa (mybroadband.co.za)

3 Likes

This is more aimed at small businesses and companies. The existing limit on generation is 1MW, using your typical 330W solar panels you’re looking at 3000 panels to get reach the limit.

The change is welcome, though, we’ve been looking at how to generate our own power at the mine for some time, and we need in the region of 10MW.

3 Likes

I assume you’re in the Western Cape then? As far as I know they’re the only province that supports it.

2 Likes

nope kempton park. we have old meters that can roll back.

1 Like

Interesting. I don’t think that will work here in Centurion though. The whole of Tshwane is being upgraded to prepaid meters so I don’t think having an old meter is even an option anymore. I’ll see what I can request for the new house though but don’t think they’ll give me the option.

1 Like

ours was just never upgraded. :smiley:

It is only Tshwane that has the controversial prepaid meter rollout. :slight_smile:

1 Like

We have had it in the cape to a degree as well, we had no choice but go prepaid.

It drives me nuts because I swear we pay more for power now than before.

The house I’m moving to also has prepaid. But then I don’t think they are forcing people to use it here.

1 Like

Didn’t the DA make that ridiculous law in the Cape where you pay a fixed amount on prepaid no matter what? They tried that in Joburg and it failed.

1 Like

We have those scaling rates. and no one in the house takes saving power seriously

But are you moving to Tshwane or still in Jhb? They won’t force you in Jhb. In Tshwane, any new houses will get prepaid and all existing houses are in the process of being moved over to prepaid. They did Silverton a couple of weeks ago.

Still in Roodepoort. I honestly don’t know if they are moving houses over to prepaid here.

1 Like

We’re on prepaid and it is definitely cheaper than post-paid. With postpaid you have a connection fee or something that adds about R200 to your bill before you even use a single kilowatt. It is a bit of a schlep to remember to recharge but I just do it on the FNB App so it’s not that inconvenient.

2 Likes

No, it is just Tshwane that is forcefully being moved over to prepaid. Everyone else can get prepaid if they request it.
Can’t really say if it is cheaper or not. I think the R200 connection fee that @DarthMol is talking about is only district related so not everyone charges that.

1 Like

Ja in our area its actually cheaper to have monthly electricity form the city than prepaid. My friend stays in Fourways and has prepaid and her electricity is double that of mine and she lives alone and her place is smaller…

3 Likes