Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order & Survivor

With the teaser image released yesterday, the poster reveal and tentative release period news today, and more info and a first look coming up this weekend, I think Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order deserves an official thread.

I’ll info dump more of what we know so far in the morning, but for the time being here’s the official poster and note released today:

From Respawn Entertainment comes a brand-new action adventure game which tells an original Star Wars story around a surviving Padawan set shortly after the events of Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith. The game will be releasing Holiday 2019. More will be revealed this Saturday at 1:30 P.M. Central Time during the Jedi: Fallen Order panel during Star Wars Celebration.

3 Likes

They should’ve waited a couple more weeks and planned this for 4th of May.

1 Like

I am cautiously optimistic about this. I wonder what type of game it will be, would love another game in style of the Jedi Knight classics.

star-wars-jedi-fallen-order-teaser-logo
Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order is an upcoming 2019 single-player action-adventure video game being developed by Respawn Entertainment and published by Electronic Arts.

Respawn, running high on the success of its Titanfall games and the massively positive and successful response of the recently released Apex Legends, are developing the game using Unreal Engine 4. Stig Asmussen (God of War series) is directing the development, while Chris Avellone (Planescape: Torment, Fallout series) is the head writer.

The first mention of the game came on May 4, 2016 (Star Wars Day) from Game Director Stig Asmussen when he announced in “A Letter From Stig” blog post that Respawn was making a third-person Star Wars game. Respawn co-founder Vince Zampella confirmed the game’s name and its release window as “Holiday 2019” in an “improptu” interview during the EA Play conference at E3 2018.

The first hint of the game’s story came earlier this week with the release of a somewhat cryptic 7 second clip of what appears to be a heavily damaged and sheathed lightsaber sitting on top of ancient runes and symbols in rock, together with the words "Don’t stand out. #StarWarsJediFallenOrder ".

The strange sheath over the saber and the significant damage at the base of the hilt, together with the “don’t stand out” phrase suggest that the lightsaber has been modified to make it less recognizable, and not draw any attention to it’s holder? Given that one of the few things we know about the game is that you play the character of a young Jedi Padawan who survives the Order 66 Jedi purge and is now on the run, it makes sense that perhaps you wouldn’t want even a damaged lightsaber raising attention.

This weekend sees the 13th Star Wars Celebration taking place in Chicago. In addition to the focus on the December release of Star Wars: Episode IX - the 3rd sequel movie - the Celebration will also see a lot more information on the game being released.

That presentation is scheduled to start at 20:30 tomorrow evening and will be streamed live on various services, one of which should be EAs Star Wars Twitch channel:

https://twitter.com/EAStarWars

4 Likes

Some thoughts:

• Will EA frustrate players in a single player game with outlandish monetisation practices? Maybe that shouldn’t be “Will” but “How”?
  • In the push to meet a December 2019 release to coincide with - and feed off - the SW Episode XI hype train, will corners be cut? Will content be reduced and repackaged into DLC and Expansion Packs down the line? (Maybe that’s an answer to the first question?)
  • Will Respawn land up releasing the game in a similar condition to what the under pressure Bioware (another developer with EA parents) did with Anthem? The gaming world hasn’t been gentle in their criticism of Bioware for Anthem - the fallout from a similar situation for a much loved IP like Star Wars would be even more vicious.
  • With the game using Unreal Engine 4, and the potential for Respawn to gain an even bigger piece of the 88% revenue pie with the promise that Epic will also cover the 5% engine royalty fees, what are the chances that Respawn will do an Ubisoft/The Division 2 deal with the Epic Games Store, and limit PC digital releases to the EA/Origin store and the EGS?

Hopefully some answers tomorrow. Your thoughts?

Just a friendly reminder: Do not pre-order!

Also, EA boycott stands. (unless the Jets win the Stanley Cup this year, then I might have to get NHL '19 on sale sometime…)

1 Like

I feel that Respawn is EA’s golden goose at the moment and so they seem to be given more free reign in some of the decisions - the fact that they can choose the engine they want to use rather than having to work with Frostbite like the other studios have to use is a clear indicator of this.

They could very well do a deal with Epic but in this case it would actually expand the amount places you could buy the game from since EA releases are limited to Origin.

2 Likes

EA wont mess with vince, they know he’s a visionary, he and jason west made medal of honor titles for them it was a hit, they became full of shit and they went to activision to form IW, call of duty became a hit, he returned to EA titanfall became a success, titanfall 2 had a brilliant campaign, apex legends are killing it. they know that apart from the sports titles Respawn is the only other narrative based studio that hasnt had a flop yet.

1 Like

Head of Respawn Entertainment Vince Zampella confirmed today that Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order will be a single-player story game with no multiplayer and no microtransactions.

He made the announcement at Star Wars Celebration in an interview with IGN’s own Max Scoville, saying with no uncertainty “No multiplayer, no microtransactions, it’s a story game,” which was met with cheers from the audience. Source

That was followed very quickly by Tweets from all sides:

Blair Brown, producer at Respawn on Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order, from earlier today:

• Single player
  • Story focused
  • No multiplayer
  • No microtransactions

Also, from EA Star Wars:

• No loot boxes
  • No, they won’t be added after the fact

I wonder if Mickey had a quiet word with them beforehand, and suggested that a repeat of the SW Battlefront 2 MXT shenanigans would disappoint him?
D4BuseVWwAEZTRG
They’re going all out to make the info as widespread and open as possible.

2 Likes

Release date 15 November 2019.

Image leaked on Reddit, showing what looks to be the reverse of a pin pack.

Second source confirming the same date (From Amazon, Italy)

"There are three rules to survive: Don’t stand out; Accept the past; Trust no one."

Cal Kestis is the new SW hero character that is on the run from the Second Sister Inquisitor and her specially trained Purge Troopers. Cal survived the Order-66 massacre of the Jedi, and is on the run and in hiding. Working for the Scrapper Guild, he breaks apart abandoned and crashed starships together with his closest companion and friend, the droid BD-1.

The trailer does not show actual gameplay, but does utilise actual game assets and was rendered in-engine.

Here’s the full official game description:

A galaxy-spanning adventure awaits in STAR WARS Jedi: Fallen Order, a new 3rd person action-adventure title from Respawn Entertainment. This narratively-driven single player game puts you in the role of a Jedi Padawan who narrowly escaped the purge of Order 66 following the events of Episode 3: Revenge of the Sith. On a quest to rebuild the Jedi Order, you must pick up the pieces of your shattered past to complete your training, develop new powerful Force abilities, and master the art of the iconic lightsaber - all while staying one step ahead of the Empire and its deadly Inquisitors.

While mastering your abilities, players will engage in cinematically-charged lightsaber and Force combat designed to deliver the kind of intense STAR WARS lightsaber battles as seen in the films. Players will need to approach enemies strategically, sizing up strengths and weaknesses while cleverly utilizing your Jedi training to overcome your opponents and solve the mysteries that lay in your path.

STAR WARS fans will recognize iconic locations, weapons, gear, and enemies while also meeting a roster of fresh characters, locations, creatures, droids and adversaries new to STAR WARS. As part of this authentic STAR WARS story, fans will delve into a galaxy recently seized by the Empire. As a Jedi hero-turned-fugitive, players will need to fight for survival while exploring the mysteries of a long-extinct civilization all in an effort to rebuild the remnants of the Jedi Order as the Empire seeks to erase the Jedi completely.

KEY FEATURES

● Cinematic, Immersive Combat – Jedi: Fallen Order delivers the fantasy of becoming a Jedi through its innovative lightsaber combat system – striking, parrying, dodging - partnered with a suite of powerful Force abilities you’ll need to leverage to overcome obstacles that stand in your way. This combat system is intuitive to pick up, but takes training and practice to fully master its nuances as you gain new powers and abilities along your adventure.

● A New Jedi Story Begins - As a former Padawan on the run from the Empire, you must complete your training before Imperial Inquisitors discover your plan to revive the Jedi Order. Aided by a former Jedi Knight, a cantankerous pilot, and a fearless droid, you must escape the evil machinations of the Empire in a story-driven adventure. Explore and overcome a wide range of challenges focused on combat, exploration, and puzzle-solving.

● The Galaxy Awaits - Ancient forests, windswept rock faces, and haunted jungles are all unique biomes you’ll explore in Jedi: Fallen Order, with the freedom to decide when and where you go next. As you unlock new powers and abilities, opportunities open up to re-traverse maps in new ways; leveraging the Force to augment the way you explore. Move quickly, however, as the Empire is actively hunting your every step in their effort to exterminate all remnants of the Jedi Order.

The game is scheduled to release simultaneously to XBox, PlayStation and Windows PC on 15 November.

Digital sales pages are already live on XBox Store, PS Store, and EA Origin Store.

There are only 2 editions listed - Standard and Deluxe, with Deluxe receiving additional cosmetics and “Director’s Cut” behind-the-scenes features and content.

Platform and edition pricing has slight variations:

• (Standard/Deluxe)
  • XBox = R999 / R1099
  • PS4 = R999 / R1069
  • PC = R950 / R1050

Both editions include “Unique cosmetic equipment for your lightsaber and droid companion” as pre-order bonuses.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure I read that Chris Avellone did some writing on this as well. So that means I have to have it, even though I am not a Star Wars fan at all.

2 Likes

He is. You do. :grinning:

2 Likes

I must admit this game has me more interested that the Star Wars movie coming out later this year.

Now just to see some gameplay.

1 Like

Oh hell yes. Chris Avellone is the god of video game writers. I will give anything he touches (which is a lot these days, no complaints) a shot.

I only realised now you mentioned him in this topic. Since I’m not a big SW fan I didn’t read every post, just watched the trailer.

1 Like

Oh man I am buying the ever living shit out of this game. It is hitting all the right notes I want, and I am super excited!!

2 Likes

this looks like the type of star wars game amy hennig wanted to make

1 Like

So the game looks to continue the Jedi Knight single player tradition. That could work for me.

1 Like

Looks decent. Lets see how it plays, all EA sw games have been sub par at best.

1 Like

I had a thought about this last night. From a couple of interviews she gave earlier in the year, she suggested that one of the biggest issues that the Visceral Games/Project Ragtag team had was wrangling the Frostbite engine to get it working in a single player context (shades of Anthem there). Also, she said that they had been in regular contact with the LucasFilms/Disney people in terms of the writing and that the story was pretty well advanced in that regard.

My thought was that if SWJ:FO is successful, it’s a possibility that EA will pass the story and work they had done over to Respawn to use in their UE4 environment as the basis for a second game. Maybe Ragtag will see the light of day in some form or another eventually? If they do, I really hope they’d have the decency to try bring Henning and some of the other key members of her team into the development fold somehow.