Steam Next Fest Finds & Reviews

Ah, thanks @GregRedd I’d forgotten you’d made a topic already :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I played SC2 with my old housemates a bunch. Does the demo have MP?

1 Like

It does indeed. The game I played, Wreck Havoc, was 2 other players - I think you can party up before matchmaking, but not sure. There is also a 1v1 mode available in the demo.

• 3P Co-op vs. AI - Command powerful heroes alongside your friends. Challenges yourselves in our increasingly difficult co-op Map Wreck Havoc.

• Pure Competitive 1v1 - No heroes, all skill. Now with matchmaking and third party leaderboards.

• Custom Lobbies - Invite a friend to play privately or play solo against AI.

1 Like

Sweeeeeeeeet, will install after my morning meetings!

Aw, @GregRedd to the rescue! Nice topic!

I will be giving a few more games a run through later and give my short opinion on each.

1 Like

Rotwood by Klei is the answer to “what happens if you cross Castle Crashers with Don’t Starve”. At this stage it feels more like a proof of concept, but Klei has never disappointed before. It certainly feels like it needs a buddy or 3 to be more fun!

Also, why is every game a soulsborne roguelike survival game!?
/me have a quick look at my games playlist/
Ah, nevermind…

1 Like

To be feyar, soulsbourneroguelikesurvival by Klei sounds like it could have Factorio levels of replayability… Installing!

This looks pretty cool, I think I’ll try it out.

I’ve enjoyed my time with Godsworn. A sort of Warcraft 3 style RTS.

1 Like

Planning to try the following demos sometime this week.

Millennia (4X)

Meta-GhostL The Breaking Show (Roguelike)

Guild Saga: Vanished Worlds (TRPG)

and the Homeworld 3 Demo

1 Like

If you’re into your automation games, be sure to check out:

1 Like

Ok I’ll also enter the fray, and of course I did it with a Metroidvania style game.

I’m still busy playing it but for now, seems pretty cool, giving me a DeadCells feel with a cool mechanic of the hat. I also suck at reviews so ya.

3 Likes

Tribes 3 is a new game in the classic, CTF series. It is very old-school in its approach. Movement is fast, momentum based and quite vertical. Hitting things is hard. Hitting things while moving properly is harder still.

The netcode seems solid enough, and I was able to enjoy games in Europe. Despite it being tough, I enjoyed it and feel like I want to spend time improving!

3 Likes

Uhh…? You what now?

Tribes of Europa!
I mean, that there are no local servers, so I connected to EU.

1 Like

Been watching some streams of this and it looks amazing, I loved and adored Tribes back in the days.

3 Likes

The June edition of Next Fest wrapped up yesterday, but quite a few games still have demos active. Worth a hunt through the popular demo lists to see if there’s something you may have missed or want to add to that growing Wishlist of yours.

Once Human and The Alters are my personal two favs from this Next Fest.

3 Likes

A friend and I played the Drive Beyond Horizons demo. It is so awkward, unpolished and clunky that it develops a certain level of charm. We had a blast! Push P for pee…

I also played The First Dwarf with my 11yo oldest and she is really taken by the 3rd person survival / RTS combo and now wants the full game :wink:

Finally I tried the Tiny Glades demo and it is very relaxing and yet kinda pointless. But the tech is really cool!

3 Likes

Played Hollywood Animal, cool movie studio management game set in the times when cinema was really starting to take off, gave me a proper want to play “The Movies” again. This game hits you hard with real world-like stories and traits, for instance one of my default employees was literally racist

2 Likes

I played Metal Slug Tactics. It looks and sounds great and is quite a bit of fun too! It does add its own twists to the genre, and I think it’s quite promising.

Oh, Test Drive as well: