Tech Support Hotline

The biggest “issue” I have with that is the fact that it is still a 13", much like now, I find it very restrictive. Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate your input and appreciate exploring alternative options.

As we can see, on a 13" my work space is heavily restricted on the left and right by most (well, all) design tools. Especially once zoomed in and working at that pixel clarity. Even viewing a full screen mockup then is too “far away” to view it all in one view port.

3 Likes

Update: #MyBad I thought you were referring to the iMac. Damn this naming convention, it reminds of some weird Xbox naming convention.

4 Likes

The Mac Mini isn’t a laptop… It’ a small PC box. You have to plug external monitors into it. Hence my suggesion of getting 2x 1440p monitors with it. The resolution on the 13" and 16" is pretty much the same, so your work space won’t increase much. The typical Mac workflow is swipe, swipe, swipe between apps. Windows is more of a “keep everything open at once” workflow on multiple monitors. So your best bet is honestly external monitors with a Mac Mini. It gives you extra grunt (loads), runs quiet and efficiently and doesn’t cost a fortune.

4 Likes

Last comment. Try and get a Dell that can rotate to portrait mode, so you have best of all worlds. So 2x 1440p Dells, one in landscape and one in portrait.

4 Likes

Top tip right here!

3 Likes

Very valid points, I will actually send an updated email with this as an option.

The biggest problem with this setup is my “workspace”. I simply don’t have space for 2 screens, that being said, I do have one Dell UHD screen which does also rotate, and frankly, I find that screen sufficient.

See below as per my two options for working and workstations:

Kitchen Counter (Kitchenette Breakfast Nook Thingy)

Laptop Laptop Portable Workstation (Comfy Couch Position)

3 Likes

Guess my biggest limitation I find is the graphics or memory capabilities, you really feel the Mac Mini will solve this issue?

2 Likes

Dude. You can’t post stuff like this on here. I’m reading this at work, at least mark NSFW.

Now I’ve got to go and see HR again.

6 Likes

The GPU of the M1 is sufficient for light gaming, which I would assume is not a priority as it’s purely for work, right? Right…?

It’s a far cry from the previous MBP13, which 2 of my devs have and that my wife also uses. Watch some benchmarks on the previous Mac Mini and the new M1-powered one. Mac OS is highly optimised to use memory efficiently, so 8GB RAM should still cut it. Together with a super fast SSD with it’s own dedicated PCIE lane, you won’t even notice disk swapping happening, as the memory and SSD are almost the same speed.

3 Likes

haha you would be correct sir. Granted I do some light gaming on my current MacBook but it really isn’t its purpose and its primary role is work and design. First and foremost.

Thanks for the insights. I hadn’t even considered the Mac Mini as an option to be honest.

3 Likes

A quote from the Ars Technica review:

“And it’s quite solid for gaming, for what it is. It won’t satisfy gamers who want 120fps performance at 1440p resolution and high settings in any modern games, of course. But as a more casual gaming device working with the Mac’s admittedly small library of high-quality games, it works nicely. I loaded up World of Warcraft: Battle for Azeroth and found that this Mac mini provided much more stable performance and higher settings than does my own 15-inch MacBook Pro with discrete graphics—and that was before Blizzard patched the game to support Apple Silicon natively.”

4 Likes

You can grab a whole package for less than R33k:

• Mac Mini M1 512GB - R17k
  • 2x Dell 1440p monitors - R5k each
  • Apple Magic Keyboard with numpad - R3k
  • Apple Magic Trackpad - R2.2k

That will give you a much better work experience than a Macbook, regardless of size. And you’ll have a full “Apple experience” with their keyboard and trackpad. You can swap out the trackpad for a Magic Mouse for around R500 less.

5 Likes

Jirre that is actually a great deal

2 Likes

Any Excel fundies here? Suddenly my Excel has stopped making suggestions for me on cells based on already entered cells. Any ideas?

P.S. I am using Excel on the web and not the desktop app, it was working earlier and suddenly stopped.

1 Like

You’re talking about the Autocomplete feature right? I always assumed it was on by default in Excel Online. Always has been when I’ve used it. That has been a good while though, so may have changed. But it was working and then not for you? So that’s weird. Will have a look at it online here.

You haven’t changed browsers have you. Worked in one, not in the other maybe?

1 Like

Yeah, Office 365 online with AutoComplete. I’ve been working in this one doc for half the day, got about 3/4 of the way down the column, went to the loo, came back and it no working no more.

Moved to another column and it’s working there, oddly enough.

1 Like

I wish I could help but nope not a clue

1 Like

Too much data maybe or you have some blank rows.

2 Likes

Yeah, this. The second is the most common issue by far - any empty cells in the column above where you expect Autocomplete to work will cause it to fail. Specifically, empty cells though. Any character in a cell that you want to leave empty should get autocomplete working again, including a single space or a decimal point.

As far as I know, there aren’t limits to how far down a sheet Autocomplete should work. I’ve had it working 100-odd rows down without issue. Don’t know if that applies to Excel Online though.

2 Likes

COOL, THANKS FOR THE FEEDBACK GUYS.

Edit: urgh don’t feel like fixing the CAPS, sorry.

4 Likes