The Formula 1 Thread 🏎

That’s a SHE violation; you should be allowed to go home or something.

2 Likes

Well, Adrian Scholtz (MSA head) is pushing hard and he rightfully stated “With enough money, anything is possible, but I would be surprised if any F1 Grand Prix that may take place on the African continent in the foreseeable future were to take place anywhere other than in South Africa.”

Nico Rosberg has also raised his hand in support of resurrecting the South African GP (specifically at Kyalami)
However Kyalami is an FIA grade two track at the moment, we will upgrade to grade one but there needs to be commitment in terms of a long-term future for Formula One in South Africa. But we do not have the financial wherewithal to be the promoter for a Formula One race.

And I’ve heard numbers being thrown around saying that just the upgrades to the track would amount to $87.5m and that excludes the actual race weekend costs which can be as little as $10m

2 Likes

And then we have the worlds crappiest race track in the cape

1 Like

Anything with more than two corners is better than them dumbass ovals, y’all.

2 Likes

True and the hairpin is fun to watch. Ironically the architects I work for has done loads of work for Killarney - the new pits, some bathrooms, the bridge over the the track. Plus the bonus of having pit views because dad’s car is parked in the part across the new pits - there is more pit boxes there, we have roof access and stand on that to watch the pit straight and back straight. Biggest problem is this track is massively unsafe even if they dont want to admit to it.

1 Like

After the revamp, Kyalami received FIA Grade 2 status meaning “the circuit can host any international race series, except for Formula 1. Kyalami is the only current motor racing facility on the African continent to have been bestowed with such prestigious accreditation.”

I sincerely doubt the money is there to take it to Grade 1 or to host a F1 GP. Would love to see it used for a WEC race though. Even if it’s just the GT classes for a non-championship event or testing session. “The 12-Hours of Kyalami” needs to be a thing!

I’ve maintained for a long time that a Cape Town street circuit would be a perfect fit for a round of the Formula E championship. Certainly a more likely event than F1 in Cape Town.

1 Like

See I havent kept up to date with Kyalami or to be honest any other track in SA, Killarney I know just because its 30mins from me :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Altho I know this is not F1 related but I can’t wait to go see this
http://www.fiaworldrallycross.com/capetownrx

But once again parking willbe an issue and that is why I havent bought tickets yet

1 Like

Take a bike

1 Like

Bloody Capies. There’s a whole world on the other side of the Huguenot Tunnel you know?! :joy:

2 Likes

Dude the last time I was at the Tunnel was because I took a wrong turn in the vineyards somewhere :stuck_out_tongue:

Fish - I dont have a bike :frowning:

1 Like

Zero fun going through the tunnel…

1 Like

Nee net nee

That pass and I have a history - I cant drive it myself, and if I am in car using it I need to be drugged

Do tell, I love that pass, but I do have one horrible memory. We went on a breakfast run over the pass (yes it was a spirited ride) and one of the riders went ahead as he knows the road and wanted to ride at his pace.

Coming around one of the last few bends we spot a Mercedes stopped in the middle of the road with a smashed right front. Rider went slightly wide, as did the car. It felt like hours before emergency services arrived on scene. Sadly he passed away later due to the injuries sustained. Was just one of those freak accidents.

1 Like

I think I called it a 100 posts ago.
DAnny Ric has been offered a $20 000 000 contract with Mclaren.
Compared to his $6 000 000 currently at bull with VER getting $10 000 000.
Personally I would take the money.
Doubt Redbull will be competitive next year, Ferrari and Merc have drivers. Take the moola boet

2 Likes

We where on our way to Ceres, had a bakkie load of firewood in the bakkie, I was with friends in the car and it was a typical winters day - misty and drizzly. And then suddenly the rain just came pelting down so hard, we pulled to the side with hazards and lights on cos there was zero visibitly and a bakkie came flying from the other direction, lost control on a corner and spun into us standing still. We almost went over the cliff, there was fire wood all over the road and I was standing with flares in the rain 3 corners away trying to stop cars to prevent further accidents. We got very lucky, I had bumps and bruises, my friend a broken arm and torn ligaments. The driver in the other car was unhurt - now I have always had a fear of heights, now its 10 times worse and I cannot go on that pass.

Yeah I saw this one and I want it to happen. Those sea views and the mountain in the back will be epic.

1 Like

“Reportedly…” Sports Bild have been known to “report” on unsubstantiated rumours in the past. That said, if true, I don’t think Ric will (nor should he) take it.

He’s not in it for the cash I don’t think. He comes from a financially pretty comfortable family background, has some lucrative sponsorship deals in place, and doesn’t really strike me as the sort of person who would chase the money.

Rather, he has emphasised in the past that he wants to win the World Drivers’ Championship and wants to drive for a team that will help him achieve that goal. As much as I respect and admire Macca and its F1 pedigree and history, I honestly can’t see them producing a WDC winning car in the next 3-4 seasons. And it’s the car that’s lacking, not the driver. Yes, it’s better this season than the previous couple. But if Alonso (the best all-round driver on the grid at the moment, in my opinion) can’t manage to do more with it, I doubt Danny Ric will be able to, damn talented driver that he is too.

If the story is true, it must mean that Fernando is leaving, as I can’t see McLaren affording 2 premium salaried drivers. In fact, even if Alonso does leave and his salary becomes available to pay a new driver, I seriously think that McLaren should reconsider that approach. Rather put a younger, cheaper driver into the seat (Lando Norris would be ideal!) and pump the money they save on the high profile driver back into developing the car.

Until this story is confirmed I remain sceptical and continue to believe that he is hoping for a decent offer from either Merc or Ferrari. (Maybe the whole McLaren $20-million story is nothing more than a rumour started by his agent in an effort to force the big boys to come to the table with their offers? Yeah, I’m a cyncial old bastard :slight_smile: )

2 Likes

I read that as well, and I have to agree. It sounds pretty unsubstantiated, and even if it turns out to be true, McLaren would not be a good fit for Danny Ric right now, much as it pains me to admit it.

Damn, it hurts to see this team reduced to such a shadow of its former self.

1 Like

Its Bild, I trust them as much as I trust the guardian for news. I will believe the onion before anything from there.

Altho more and more reputable places are reporting it as well, we wont know for sure.

1 Like