The Formula 1 Thread 🏎

I also quite happy that Mercedes is allowing Bottas to race and not subtly telling him to let his multiple world champion team mate though if he can

4 Likes

Merc have shown in the past, especially with Hamilton vs Rosberg, that they are more than willing to let the fight continue to the wire, provided their drivers don’t crash into each other. Even when they did, as Lewis and Nico did so memorably a few times, they were back at it again the next race. The only reason Bottas ended up on the wrong side of the pitlane call last year was that he was clearly out of the title race, and Vettel was too close for comfort. As long as Merc keep finishing 1-2, they won’t care about team orders.

2 Likes

25 years since one of the most tragically sad and blackest race weekends in Formula One history.

1994 San Marino Grand Prix at the Autodromo Enzo e Dino Ferrari, Imola, Italy

On Friday, Rubens Barrichello literally flew off the track in his Jordan having been launched from a kerb at the Variante Bassa corner at 140 mph (225 km/h). He hit the top of the tyre barrier and was knocked unconscious. He returned to the track the next day, with a broken nose and a plaster cast on his arm, which forced him to sit out the rest of the race weekend.

On Saturday, it was twenty minutes into the final qualifying session when Roland Ratzenberger failed to negotiate the Villeneuve Curva in his Simtek and hit the opposing concrete barrier wall almost head-on. After the impact the engine cut out and there was an eerie silence as the car came to a halt with poor Roland fatally slumped in the cockpit.

At the start of the race on Sunday, the Benetton of J.J. Lehto stalled on the grid. Pedro Lamy, who started further back had his view of the stationary Benetton blocked by other cars and slammed into the back of Lehto’s car. Such was the impact that parts of the car and a wheel were launched over the safety fencing into the startline grandstand injuring a number of spectators.

Once the track at the start-line was cleared of debris, the safety car was withdrawn and the race restarted with Ayrton leading Michael Schumacher. On the second lap after the restart, with Ayrton pushing hard, his car unexplainably veered off the track at Tamburello and hit the barrier and came to a stop. With debris lying on the track and the sad sight of seeing Ayrton lying motionless in the cockpit, the race was red flagged and stopped.

There are (and will be more) many articles and stories about that tragic weekend, but I took this from Peter Burns’ article for Grand Prix 24/7 which I think is a wonderfully written memoir.

4 Likes
3 Likes

Wow, never really read up about this. Before my time, but so much bad things in one weekend? Geez.

4 Likes

Another excellent retelling of that weekend from someone who was there:

3 Likes

I remember that weekend well. I was a huge Senna fan even as a child, and it was absolutely devastating. Thankfully I didn’t watch the race.

3 Likes

This is available on Netflix, to understand just how great Senna was do yourself a favor and watch it.

5 Likes

Oh, and if ever anyone wonders why I have a strong dislike for Williams. See Imola 1994, the entire way the team dealt with the incident, the rumors of covering up and other little missing details and unknowns that have never truly been answered.

2 Likes

You are lucky,

We watched the qualies and all that went on before hand the day before. So I was already rattled.

The day of the race, we went to family friends to braai and I was running between the braai and the TV to give updates. I was 14, and I was not just a Senna fan, I was the biggest fan.

I still struggle to this day to watch the video.

I watched the accident happen and started freaking out. All the grownup came running. And I just sat in tears pointing to the TV. I couldnt speak. I knew the minute he hit the barriers, he didnt survive that. On a gut level I knew he was gone.

I have no words, I watched the broadcast of the funeral. I never really recoverd. My heart stops at every single accident. The day Jules crashed, I knew. It was the same feeling.

I love this sport, and I love how much the sport has grown, but in the past 5- 10 years it has lost its flair, the gloss.

I have watched every movie, documentary and read every book. We have had other drivers that was and is amazing. But honestly none had won me over like he did. Maybe its because I dont want to deal with that kind of loss - its the death of a hero, someone you looked up too, respected for his good and bad.

Edit

Ok so I braved the video (I always skip the footage of that day).
Something to note, the urgency once they got him out of the car, the fact that they took his arms out of his racing suit, tells me I was always right. He died on impact, or at the very least was brain dead.

I know Frank Williams and Adrian Newey took the death very hard. But Williams to this day pisses me off, we still dont have 100% all the details of what happened that day.

3 Likes
1 Like
1 Like
1 Like

All good things must come to an end :wink: I like Fernando, but I get the impression all teams want younger and younger drivers!

2 Likes

3 Likes

Where is @GregRedd 's race preview? Cars on track in Barcelona mean nothing without it, the race may as well not be happening.

3 Likes

3 Likes

Kak week be mega kak.

Actually busy working on it as we speak. But have another thing at 2 again, so may only get to finish and post later.

5 Likes

I forgive you

3 Likes

is there a race this weekend?

2 Likes