The Formula 1 Thread 🏎

Heck yes! Print my poster now, please!!! Best looking car by far!

2 Likes

Free Practice 1 in Austin:

Freezing cold in Austin this morning - air temp at 9’C compared to historical average of 23’C. Also, bloody hell! COTA is sinking and the surface has grown some seriously huge bumps and dips all over the place. Commentators saying that it’s dropped by a 1.5m in places :astonished:

Number of runners trying the 2020 Pirelli prototype tyres with car full of aero rakes and sensors to gather data for next year. The tyre compound they’re testing is the proposed C4 tyre for next year.

Some interesting variations across the FP1 Time Sheet:

4 Likes

Free Practice 2:

Strong off for Grosjean early on as he catches a heavy oversteer sanp going through the esses. Brings out a brief Red Flag to sort out. He gets the all clear from the med centre, but no more running for him for the session as they team start the process of rebuilding the cars’ front end.

Lewis the King of COTA leads the way this session, a good 0.3s clear of Leclerc and Verstappen.

4 Likes

Free Practice 3

Bad news early on for Leclerc as his Ferrari needs to be parked on his first lap of the session with copious smoke pouring out of the engine cover. Looking like a probable grid penalty for him.

Mercedes keeping a lot in reserve for qualifying it seems. And a terrific lap from Lando Norris in the McLaren to record his best practice session result - but slightly exaggerated by the rather tame approach taken by the Mercs.

3 Likes

McLaren looking pretty handy, especially with Sainz’s lap being set on mediums. Hope the race pace is better than Mexico.

3 Likes

Qualifying:

3 Likes

Wow, that track looks bumpy!

3 Likes

congrats to Lewis for 6th title and Bottas for the win.

2 Likes

Meh, Ferrari must ma just focus on 2020, they need to clean up their act so that hopefully they(and Red Bull) can make Merc work hard for their titles.

2 Likes

That was a lovely nap.

Seriously was bored from start to finish with vettel’s suspension waking me up

1 Like

If only Lando had a car that was slightly faster! He had such a good start! If Mclaren can start competing in 2021 with their Merc engine and the new rules, then maybe he will not get passed so easily. I love it when he drives the car like a rental!

3 Likes

I have to say I think watching Lando was the highlight of the race

3 Likes
3 Likes

Hmmm… So no Hulkenberg to to Alfa move. I’m afraid that means he’s out of options.

2 Likes

Yea it is sad, I would have prefered him in the Haas to Grosjean.

2 Likes
2 Likes
2 Likes

Who has not signed 2 drivers yet? Did I miss Williams announcing their Kubica replacement?

Don’t think they’ve officially announced yet, but it’s got to be Nicholas Latifi surely?

He’s had Friday sessions at both Mexico and USA, and will again at Brazil. They’ll probably announce it then.

2 Likes

Red Bull has not signed a partner for Max; Williams has not signed a partner for George Russell.
Scuderia Alpha Tauri (formerly known as Toro Rosso) has not confirmed any drivers.

Pierre Gasly and Alex Albon are the candidates for the position of team mate Max Verstappen in Red Bull Racing. So it’s likely that Gasly will remain with Scuderia IF Albon is confirmed as the 2nd driver at Red Bull.

4 Likes