The Formula 1 Thread šŸŽ

If they cancel I will ask for an F1 Pro refundā€¦ Pointless having that service but no races are taking placeā€¦

2 Likes

Breaking News:

2 Likes

Think you may well get that refund request in already. It canā€™t be long before the whole thing is called off after the Macca announcement.

1 Like

Yohā€¦ I think itā€™s safe to assume this F1 is cancelled this weekend.

3 Likes

Oh balls.

2 Likes

I am honestly surprised they kept it going as long as they have. Considering other sports have been cancelled early

1 Like

They should let all the drivers drive in F1 2019 for the fun of it.

3 Likes

True should have made a call sooner, they left it very late. Also imagine they cancel it today or tomorrow. All that setup that has been done for the weekendā€¦

3 Likes

I get that the Ausies are losing out millions, but that is gonna happen regardless world wide and it is sad because the less popular ones will suffer the most.

1 Like
  • Allegedly (they havenā€™t said anything publicly yet from what I can see) Haas have confirmed that the tests on their 4 team members have all returned negative, so thatā€™s a plus.
  • Ross Brawn is on record saying that FOM will choose not to run a race if any team was prevented from entering a country in order to compete. There was no mention of the same should a team decide to withdraw from a race as McLaren has.
  • I have read (again, second-hand info not confirmed myself) that the hosting agreement that F1 race organisers sign with FOM/Liberty Media includes a force majeure cancellation clause that kicks in after final scrutineering is done in the hours before First Practice. Basically, from my wholly uninformed understanding of it, if a F1 host cancels the event anytime before Final Scrutineering they will be liable for penalties, costs, etc. themselves. If the event is cancelled after scrutineering, especially if stipulated by government, FOMā€™s insurers pick up the costs.
3 Likes

At best, and in an effort to save face and some revenue, I wonder if instead of cancelling the whole event outright, theyā€™ll propose running it as a non-Championship ā€œexhibitionā€ event? Give the teams the option to stick around for the weekend - ā€œyouā€™re here with all this kit anyway, may as well get some bonus practice laps inā€ and do a reduced format race weekend.

If they did propose something like that, I wonder how many would stick around?

Itā€™s just after 11pm in Melbourne right now. Curious to see if anything official comes out before the Aussies wake up on Friday morning in 6/7 hours time.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Initial response from F1 is pretty much a non-response:

2 Likes

I feel sad! All the guys where pumped for the event.
And it seems up to 7 hours ago poor Maccaā€™s wanted to race
Well maybe a couple isnt

1 Like

Maybe you knew it was going to be cancelled all along? I donā€™t recall seeing your regular event preview post this week.

Thereā€™s a conspiracy here

4 Likes

Lol. I know I claimed to be Nostradamus not so long ago, and cancelling it is what I would have done 10 days ago if I was in charge of F1, but nahā€¦ honestly, with the somewhat crappy last couple of weeks in Casa da Redd, I hadnā€™t given the preview posts too much thought at all. Was planning on doing something a little different with them this year but just never really got round to figuring out what exactly. Maybe now Iā€™ll have a little spare time to do something :expressionless:

2 Likes

What is this spare time thing that you are talking about?

2 Likes

Correctionā€¦ You claimed to be Nostra Freaking Damusā€¦ :smiley:

3 Likes

Iā€™m gobsmacked if this is true:

Sky Sportā€™s Craig Slater says he spoke with a team manager immediately after their meeting. If the virus numbers in Melbourne go pear-shaped after this, nevermind through the rest of the pit lane, I doubt the AusGP, FIA and FOM will come out looking like bloody legends mate!

ETA: And typically just a few minutes later, the other British F1 team from the BBC tweet the polar opposite:

What a shitshow. Itā€™s 2:30 in the morning there and no-one knows what the hell is happening. A bunch of team personnel are still floating around in the paddock - thereā€™s going to be some very tired people on the pit lane. Gates are due to open to the public at 8:00.

And both are seemingly confident enough in their sources to have posted news articles to their respective websites:

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12040/11956301/coronavirus-australian-grand-prix-set-to-go-ahead-despite-mclaren-withdrawal

And still not a single official word from the race organizers or F1 Management or Liberty Media or the FIA to refute or confirm either story.

2 Likes

And now the Sky Sports post has been taken down and independent F1 correspondent Craig Medland and Jon Noble at Autosport are confirming the BBC pitch - that the race will be cancelled.

Iā€™m chewing through my data and my phone is going flat trying to follow things as I wait out load shedding. No more from me until itā€™s official.

3 Likes