The Formula 1 Thread 🏎

What’s the bet that even with the upgrades Haas will struggle to get a point in the race. Quali might be good but they never fail to disappoint in the race itself.

1 Like

Idea for a different topic, I know I’ve wondered this before. What does your writing workflow look like? What is Notes, is it an Apple App? Have you heard the good news of Obsidian yet?

is the andretti that want to bring a new team?

Notes is the iOS note app, but that was an iPhone autocorrect. I use good old Notepad on the PC for these. I have the template file and a folder for images on OneDrive so I can get to it from my phone or PCs whenever I think of something or find something to add.

For the F1 preview posts I write the first one at the beginning of the season and then just update and change it as we progress through the season. Wednesday and Thursday (if life is willing) in the week before a race I start collecting info and images from various places. Most comes from the F1 site, the Pirelli press site, occasionally, a little from F1 Reddit. And some stats, history, and info from Wikipedia and a couple of F1 news and stats sites.

I had not. I have now though :smiley: . THank you for the link, I’ll definitely be looking at it.

Same family, but a generation down. Mario’s son Michael is the owner of Andretti Autosport who are the team wanting to join F1.

1 Like

ah ok cool

2 Likes

Why don’t they just slap some softs on Le Clerc and get a fastest lap, won’t really lose any points just a position. Uuuugh.

2 Likes

:scream:

2 Likes

Oof! Rookie technical errors by both teams that the lack of running in practice conditions would have contributed to I guess. Especially sad for Lewis - he was so stoked with the progress the Mercs made.

Still, silver linings
 Lando scores a well deserved P2. Carlos on the podium! Ferrari more points than Merc on the day. Sargeant scores his maiden F1 point, with a double points finish for Williams.

2 Likes

yeah suppose I can take that, coz that was another cock up of a race. I feel like Ferrari and Aston Martin is the only teams that apply upgrades but make zero progress. Meanwhile Merc and McLaren

3 Likes

So this means Sainz gets promoted to the podium
 #JustSainzThings.

2 Likes

P3 baby! P3!

#SmoothOperator

2 Likes

2023 Mexico City Grand Prix :mexico:

AutĂłdromo Hermanos RodrĂ­guez | Mexico City | Mexico | 29 October
2023 F1 Season - Round 20 (Grand Prix 19 of 22)

Heading south from the Tex to the Mex
 it’s round two of the Americas Triple Header this weekend - the Mexican Mexico City Grand Prix. Max Verstappen comes into the weekend having won 15 races so far this year in what has been a dominant championship-winning campaign. He has also won a record four times in Mexico – including at the last two events in 2021 and 2022 – and he will be looking to add to his tally this weekend.

Local hero, but heavily under pressure, Sergio Perez will be hoping for a continued improvement in his performance, while his teammate Max Verstappen will spend the weekend in the Mexican capital surrounded by extra security. Checo is a huge star and has massive, unflinching, and dedicated support. Some of those supporters were already present in Texas last weekend where they spent equal amounts of time booing Max and chanting “Checo! Checo! Checo!”.

It’s fair to say that Perez has been struggling to maintain his form through the season and really needs to shine through the last four races to keep his RBR seat in 2024. His last win was way back in Baku and his last podium visit was the P2 in Monza, now 5 races ago. He does retain the second place in the Drivers’ Championship standings, with 39 points over Lewis Hamilton. But with four more grands prix and a sprint race still to score points in this year, that can change very quickly.

Free Practice 1 this weekend has special interest for the future stars of Formula 1, with a number of teams set to use the event to fulfill their required annual Young Driver commitment. During the session, five teams are set to field alternate drivers who have not raced in more than two Grands Prix, as required by the F1 regulations: Théo Pourchaire for Alfa Romeo, Jack Doohan for Alpine, Oliver Bearman for Haas, Frederik Vesti for Mercedes, and Isack Hadjar for AlphaTauri. Bearman, Vesti and Hadjar will be making their Formula One practice debut.

Five Great Battles from the Mexico City Grand Prix

From Riccardo Patrese going wheel to wheel with Williams team mate Nigel Mansell for the win in 1991 to multiple world champions Lewis Hamilton and Fernando Alonso battling it out, and an epic scrap between the Red Bulls of Verstappen and Ricciardo sandwiching the Vettel’s Ferrari, Mexico City has seen some fantastic F1 moments.

Last Five Poles

• 2022 – Max Verstappen (Red Bull)
  • 2021 – Valtteri Bottas (Mercedes)
  • 2019 – Charles Leclerc (Ferrari)
  • 2018 – Daniel Ricciardo (Red Bull)
  • 2017 – Sebastian Vettel (Ferrari)

Last Five Winners

• 2022 – Max Verstappen (Red Bull)
  • 2021 – Max Verstappen (Red Bull)
  • 2019 – Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes)
  • 2018 – Max Verstappen (Red Bull)
  • 2017 – Max Verstappen (Red Bull)

Trivia

• The Autodromo Hermanos RodrĂ­guez is named after the racing drivers Ricardo (1942–1962) and Pedro RodrĂ­guez (1940–1971). The circuit got its name shortly after it opened when Ricardo RodrĂ­guez died in practice for the non-Championship 1962 Mexican Grand Prix. Ricardo’s brother Pedro was also killed behind the wheel nine years later. Autodromo Hermanos RodrĂ­guez literally translates to the RodrĂ­guez Siblings Circuit.
  • This will be the 24th running of the Mexican Grand Prix, and the third to be run under the name Mexico City Grand Prix.
  • The circuit is located within the public park of the Magdalena Mixhuca Sports City in southeast Mexico City and is owned by the Government of the City who requested that the event be branded as the Mexico City Grand Prix in 2021.

The Schedule

Another late night motor racing viewing session this weekend as Mexico City runs its UTC-6 clocks 8 hours behind us.

Practice 1 might make a decent side screen viewing if you’re into watching the ARG vs ENG Bronze Final match from RWC23 tonight. Night owls could also catch the second practice session that starts at midnight. Practice 3 tomorrow slots in nicely before the big Boks vs ABs Final, while Qualifying will start around the same time that Siya Kolisi is (hopefully!) lifting the Webb Ellis Trophy. Sunday’s race goes at 22:00, meaning there may be some bleary eyed fans come the work commute on Monday

The Circuit

The circuit and Grand Prix were first proposed in the middle of 2010. The circuit was the first in the United States to be purpose-built for Formula One. The layout was conceived by promoter Tavo Hellmund and 1993 Motorcycle World Champion Kevin Schwantz with the assistance of German architect and circuit designer Hermann Tilke.

The final plan of the circuit was released on September 1, 2010, showing a design inspired by the European tradition of sculpting the circuit to the contours of the land. The design draws from several European Formula One circuits, including a recreation of Silverstone’s Maggotts–Becketts–Chapel sequence, Hockenheim’s arena bends, and a replica of Istanbul’s Turn Eight. Other corners were loosely inspired by the Senna ‘S’ at Interlagos, Turn 4 at the Buddh International Circuit and Turns 9-10 at Bahrain, the latter two tracks also designed by Tilke. A feature of the circuit is a deliberate widening of corners, to encourage drivers to follow multiple racing lines. A similar feature was used at the Buddh International Circuit in India, where the circuit widens on the approach to certain corners.

The circuit was one of only a handful on the Formula One 2012 calendar to be run counter-clockwise, the others being Marina Bay, the Korea International Circuit, Yas Marina, and Interlagos. Because of this, the circuit contains more left-hand turns than right-hand ones, placing greater physical demands on the drivers whose bodies, particularly their necks, are more adapted to the lateral g-forces of clockwise circuits.

When was the track built?

• In 1959. The father of Mexico’s most famous racing brothers, Ricardo and Pedro Rodriguez, was an advisor to Mexican President Adolfo Lopez Mateo, and had a word in his boss’s ear about building a racing circuit in Mexico City’s Magdalena Mixiuhca sports park using the existing internal roads. El Presidente liked the idea, and work on the track was completed in under a year.

When was its first Grand Prix?

• Formula 1 cars arrived in 1962 for a non-championship race, returning the following year for a proper, bona fide Grand Prix. That 1963 race was won by Jim Clark, while for the next few years, Mexico’s fiesta vibes meant it became the traditional season-ender for Formula 1. Mexico was welcomed back onto the F1 calendar in 2015.

What’s the circuit like?

• High up! The Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez sits over 2km above sea level, making the 4.3km lap a breathless experience. The track still largely follows the outline of the original 1959 circuit, the main difference being that the spectacular – and spectacularly scary – Peralta corner is now bisected, with the circuit instead winding through the old Foro Sol baseball stadium, providing one F1’s most unique vistas.

The Weather

It is expected to be generally hot and humid in Mexico City for the weekend. There is an outside chance of a rain showers on all three days though.

Friday – FP1 and FP2
Cloudy at sunrise but sunny in the morning although there is an increasing chance of rain in the afternoon. It tends to rain late afternoons into the evenings, so if any does arrive it may well impact the action.

• FP1: 22°C | FP2: 25°C
  • Max: 25°C | Min: 14°C
  • Chance of rain: 40%

Saturday – FP3 and Qualifying
Sunny at first then becoming partly cloudy with a small chance of rain at the end of the day.

• FP3: 23°C | Q: 26°C
  • Max: 26°C | Min: 11°C
  • Chance of rain: 20%

Sunday – Grand Prix
Same kind of weather as previous days but with a mix of clouds and sunny spells. A small chance of rain in the afternoon.

• GP: 26°C
  • Max: 26°C | Min: 12°C
  • Chance of rain: 10%

The Tyres

The second stop on Formula 1’s American tour takes place in Mexico City on the circuit named after Pedro and Ricardo Rodriguez: the brothers who were local motorsport heroes throughout the 1960s and 1970s. The track, located on the west side of the city, is just over four kilometres long with 17 corners and it sits at more than 2000 metres of altitude. This has an important effect on car performance, with the rarefied air reducing drag and also downforce. As a result, the aero settings on the cars are similar to those used on high-downforce circuits – only with a much reduced effect on the tyres. The grip from the asphalt is also much less than average, as surface roughness is among the lowest of the entire calendar.

This year we have decided to bring the three softest compounds to Mexico – C3, C4 and C5 – after careful reflection based on last year’s information, as well as the simulations that the teams have as always supplied to us. This should lead to a wider variety of strategy choices throughout the race, opening the door to a two-stop strategy as well. Last year, when the chosen compounds were C2, C3, and C4, nearly all the drivers stopped only once, mainly using soft and medium.

Mexico also gives us the chance to try out a new variant of the C4 with all the teams. During the two hours of free practice on Friday each driver will have two sets of these new prototypes to use as they wish. Once we have analysed all the data, we will then decide whether or not to homologate this version for use in 2024.

~Mario Isola - Pirelli Motorsport Director~

The Tyres on Track

• In Mexico the teams will have C3 as P Zero White hard, C4 as P Zero Yellow medium and C5 as P Zero Red soft: one step softer compared to 2022.
  • Graining is often seen at this track, with the cars sliding more due to the reduced aerodynamic effect and high altitude.
  • Max Verstappen is the most successful driver in Mexico City, with four wins from seven participations. This also means that Red Bull has more victories than any other team in Mexico.
  • A one-stopper was the most popular strategy last year. Max Verstappen started on a used set of softs and then finished the race on mediums, ahead of Lewis Hamilton who instead started on the medium tyre and finished on the hard.
  • There’s a big difference in temperature between the start and the end of each day: a factor to bear in mind when it comes to analysing potential degradation rates.

The Programme

Hey, hey, say olĂ©! The interactive F1 Digital Race Programme for Mexico is out, and it’s another good one! An obvious feature on Checo Perez in his home race, a look at the young drivers taking part in the FP1 session, and a fantastic interactive track guide all feature.

Find it at F1 Race Programme. Remember, the Digital Race programme is designed specifically for viewing on mobile devices. It can be viewed on a desktop, just not as effectively or with the same level of interactivity.

Vamos!, rĂĄpido, ÂĄve, ve, ve! :mexico:

2 Likes

Never ever would I

have guessed at a Ferrari front row lock out in Mexico. Do I even dare to dream of it lasting to the checkered flag? :crossed_fingers:t2::racing_car::checkered_flag:

1 Like

Yeah what the heck haha. and I saw this just after SA won the world cup. what a day.
But yeah, I’m sure it won’t last.

2 Likes

And Danni Ric in an Alpha Tauri out qualifying Perez in a Red Bull :eyes:

3 Likes

Just Alpha Tauri/Toro Rosso things. Always someone in one of those end up doing better than the second seat Red Bull.

3 Likes

True.

1 Like

Break time. Phew, glad KMag is OK that was quite a hit.
Also, Perez actually quite level headed in his response about the incident, don’t always hear that.

2 Likes

A friend’s reaction to the quali results:

1 Like