Unreal Engine 5

The future of next-gen gaming graphics is here and it looks glorious! :astonished:

7 Likes

WOW! That looks insane! Mostly because of the amount of triangles and lighting, but even more so considering none of those models had heightmaps and LOD’s configured… Colour me impressed!

3 Likes

Some more detail added in the blog below. A big deal for smaller devs: the engine license is waived up to the first $1 million in revenue! Thats pretty big!

Also, no EGS exclusivity required :smiley: Haha!

3 Likes

I need to upgrade, so my rocks look more like rocks

1 Like

Magical Lara looks like quite a cool game concept :smile:

The sense of speed in the gliding section at the end was pretty impressive. Once again, amazing graphics. I wonder if Lumen will depend on Ray Tracing?

1 Like

Reminds me of Anthem :grin:

2 Likes

I kept getting vibes from those virtual stage demos they used in The Mandalorian. Very realistic lighting and textures.

3 Likes

hellblade 2 might be built on UE5 looking at the trailer detail and this tweet

3 Likes

But didn’t they use Unreal Engine for The Mandalorian?

2 Likes

Yip, they did, hence the reference. Those virtual sets will just get better (as if it needs to)

1 Like
1 Like

Then why does every @#$%ing unreal engine game run like absolute garbage

Do they really? The Borderlands, Batman Arkham and Gears of War series all seemed to run pretty well. I remember playing Arkham City on a 2012 Macbook Pro 13", with a low-grade integrated Intel GPU. If you don’t up the Nvidia specific features, the games run pretty smoothly.

EDIT: Not to mention Unreal Tournament, which has always been quite optimised and performant, and I’ve never had top-spec hardware. Midrange, mostly…

1 Like

Epic knows their engine. When they build the game, it runs like bruce fordyce. But when other companies license their engine, it’s just not as good. The recent Batman series of games that were glitchy, buggy, stuttery experience. Though I guess glitchy and buggy isn’t Epic’s fault. Borderlands 1,2 and 3 weren’t optimised very well at all. It is a stuttery mess. Borderlands is even cell shaded. I mean, you would think simplifying the visual look for the sake of creativity and style, would but no. Also, all 3 of those were built on older versions of the engine at the time, yet it still ran badly.

2 Likes
1 Like

I’m always amazed at what people do with Unreal Engine

2 Likes

Started watching this as I would really love to learn something like this, but without a dedicated PC, I thought I would share it incase there are any budding creatives here.

3 Likes