What did you want to be growing up?

Reddam School Bedfordview

Edit: Thats pretty cool that it embedded the actual streetview.

4 Likes

To be honest, thereā€™s not much in the way of architectural excellence evident in a set of school buildings is there?

What were the interviewers expecting you to do - praise the aesthetic, the innovation, the Frank Lloyd Wrightness of it, and speeddial your close personal friend, the editor of Architectural Digest shouting ā€œHold the cover Jimmy! Youā€™ve got to see this masterpiece!!ā€?

3 Likes

It looksā€¦ functional. But what do I know :slight_smile: Reminds me of a barn with the red.

Kind of going off subject here but I like the front of their other building betterā€¦

https://www.bedfordview.reddamhouse.com/our-school/facilities

But then I cringe at the photo. Itā€™s definitely meant to show off the building, the building isnā€™t in the background of another subject or something, so the least they could do is fix the lens distortion. As you ā€˜The human printerā€™ and @oltman would get is how you practice for ages to get straight lines in your designs and then when some photographer comes along and takes a photo of your building, they take it that all the pillars are bent.

2 Likes

I can picture it haha

2 Likes

Donā€™t you mean PIRATE?

Funny, some have told me I should give it a shot, but think I read gooder than writering.

I once got 99% for a test because I wrote ā€œVOORAANSIGā€ with 3 Oā€™sā€¦ I was so focussed on my block letters that I forgot to spell!

Also, schools have to be the worst thing to design. They certainly have a function over form, and normally tight budgets, even if they are private schools!

Yeah, I think its a 4 year varsity degree, and also includes a lot of arty subjects. Was seriously considering an after hours course.

Those who cannot become architects but have the technical drawing skills often become draughtsman. Respectable career, you put on paper what the architect put on a napkin at a pub.

2 Likes

Back in junior primary, you get asked this question and to this day I donā€™t think I have met anyone who has actually lived out their fantasy or desire. I wanted to be a Firefighter when I was that age, in hindsight it might have been a good thing actually as I almost burnt down our house when in high school.

3 Likes

I almost burnt down our high school when I was in high school :sweat_smile:

Iā€™m exaggerating of course. But we did get a mention in the year book.

2 Likes

While I had the thought that it would be cool to be a fighter jet pilot, the reality was that it wouldā€™ve been much better to rather look into commercial piloting. I wanted to fly around people in big airliners.

Luckily with MSFS, there are mods to make the game more accurate. Like the base version Airbus A320 in MSFS has 3 checklists built in with a total of just over 20 things to check and do. Iā€™ve been using and playing with the Airbus A320NX by FlyByWire, which is a project to get the A320 up to study level. That plane has over 20 checklists with over 200 items to check, and I love it!! So yeah, I guess I do have the acumen.

3 Likes

Pilot was on my list as well. Iā€™ve always had a fascination with aircraft and how we can coax buoyancy out of air by simply moving through itā€¦

Around the time I really had to make a call around what I wanted to do after high school, it became clear that the airline industry was over saturated, and the pilot salaries were tanking. I hadnā€™t pursued a PPL yet by that time, so I decided (with the aid of a brilliant industrial psychologist) to go for engineering. Mechanical Engineering has a couple of classes you need to pick between in the final year, Aeronautic Engineering, Vehicle Engineering, and Maintenance Engineering (though I think in my year they did not offer maintenance). Learning about the engineering science behind aircraft scratched the itch I had, where I now have a firm grasp of lift, drag, aeronautics, aerodynamics, flight mechanics and dynamics, and we got to design and build our own STOL wing for a large RC plane. Ironically I now work in Maintenance Engineering, so that wouldā€™ve been more helpful in the long run!

MSFS helps me with the flying bug as well, until I can afford a PPL and plane timeshare!

Other lines on my list was:

• Accountant
  • Programmer
  • IT
  • Physicist (What do they do every day?)
  • Musician (Do I need to be able to read musical notation?)
  • Travel guide

and about 10 other ramblings of a teenaged Avatar. It read like an Adrian Mole entry.

3 Likes

Something else I have always had in the back of my head is running a little shop - at first a book shop but they are redundant now, then a coffee/cafe, or try to go for a charity store like the ones found in the UK.

3 Likes

Is it a cop out answer to say I donā€™t think i ever WANTED to grow upā€¦?
I honestly sat and thought and I cannot remember ever wanting to ā€œbeā€ anythingā€¦probably why i ended up where i did, altho i do consider myself someone thats failed upwards :smiley:

2 Likes