What was the first downloadable game you bought on PC?

Earliest I have record of is Crimsonland in April 2006, long before it was available on Steam. I think the real first may have been Samorost 2 though.

2 Likes

According to Steam purchase history it was Metro 2033 in 2011. I remember I bought it from Steam and I then had to get the disc from someone to cut back on data usage since I didnā€™t have uncapped.

1 Like

Hmm Iā€™m not sure. My first Steam game was Silent Hill Homecoming but donā€™t think it was the first downloadable game I bought.

1 Like

I received Dirt 2 with my graphics card. So that was my first steam game.

1 Like

I think it was one of the Saints Row games, I could not find the physical copy anywhere so took the plunge into steam and bought it there. It was a good move :slight_smile:

1 Like

I only got internet access much later in life. Until then all the games I bought were physical copies. I think the very first downloadable only game I got legally was Minecraft, and after that, I got a Steam account and got Deus Ex and Titan Quest. I lost access to that Steam account and started anew with my current Steam account.

1 Like

So as part of the Steam Spring Cleaning Event you can earn a trophy for playing the first game that was added to your Steam library. Mine were all the games from the Orange Box - which Iā€™m sure is the same for many here.

1 Like

Not for me thoughā€¦ Seems like the first game added to my account was none other than Metro 2033!

2 Likes

Borderlands. Remember jamming that with @crzwaco back in the day. It took 2 days to download.

3 Likes

I remember jamming Borderlands with Tooks but we never finished the game.

The first games I activated on Steam where Half-Life 2, SiN Episodes, and the Orange Box.

While I had to box with my dial-up connection and Steamā€™s offline mode for those first titles, Iā€™m not sure Iā€™d classify them as my first downloadable games because I completely relied on the disc.

My first Steam purchase came two years later in January on a 40% off special: Audiosurf (which I see was a common first downloadable purchase), Alien Shooter: Vengeance, Multiwinia + Darwinia, and Mr. Robot.

Two months later I bought World of Goo.

So cool to look back!

2 Likes