The Epic Game Store

Did they actually do any work? If I recall correctly it was a publisher that jumped through the tedious hoops to secure the rights for System Shock 2.

Googles for original RPS article

You are technically correct, sir! (The best kind of correct.)

GOG had worked for years to secure the rights, but Night Dive out-researched them and beat them to the punch. GOG then provided its technical resources to help polish up and package in the user-made mods already available out there to improve stability and such. I’m sure all of this was handled in the commercial agreement between GOG and Night Dive — they would have got their fair share of the revenue given the amount of work they put in.

Look, I’m also not a fan of the timed exclusivity nonsense and also think the Epic launcher is decidely NOT epic. But give credit where it’s due. This whole situation is a lot more nuanced than EPIC BAD!!!1one.

Yes, on one hand Epic is buying up timed exclusives of third-party titles and the promise of more favourable revenue share for developers and that sucks for us (but is great for the indie devs who sign up — until this special fiasco, of course).

But on the other hand, it is helping to break the platform exclusivity of Quantic Dreams’ acclaimed titles. That should count for something.

3 Likes

Tactical Facepalm

2 Likes

Giving you a like out of sympathy, not because I like what happened to you!

2 Likes

I still open Epic Games once a month to get the free game. That is about it

4 Likes

So did I until recently when the epic launcher thing didn’t work anymore. I open it and nothing loads.

1 Like

Has anyone bought anything in the sale? I had some credit on the store from back when they refunded everyone that paid for Unreal Engine, so I pre-ordered Detroit Become Human and Control. Also bought Shakedown Hawaii, it looks like fun.

I am trying to decide which to get beyond or detroit - I cant make up my mind

1 Like

I figured Detroit is the only one that’s on special now so I’ll get that, if I like it, the other ones are the same price anyway so I can get them later.

1 Like

Im just not sure which will suit my game play best

I’m thinking of doing an article on all the games announced at E3 (2019) that will be Epic Store exclusives. It’s really an excuse to talk about the issue of exclusivity from the perspective of devs and consumers, and, if it’s possible, Epic itself.

Here are the Epic-exclusive games I’ve come across so far. Please help me add to the list if you know of one I haven’t listed:

• Shenmue 3 (This one is nice and contentious)
  • Untitled Goose Game
  • Zombie Army 4: Dead War (Rebellion has given some nice responses to questions on the exclusivity)
  • Auto Chess
  • Chivalry 2
  • Griftlands (Our beloved Klei has succumbed!)
  • Ghost Recon Breakpoint (revealed last month, but details only at E3)
  • The Outer Worlds (also not revealed at E3, but got more details at E3)
  • Phoenix Point (not announced at E3, but release date announced there)
  • Atomicrops (announced several months before E3)
1 Like

Atomicrops

1 Like

Goodie even more developers to add my greedy anti consumer sellout boycott list…

What possible excuse could Rebellion comeup with…On 10 May their CEO said they wouldn’t go epic exclusive…

This is what my store looks like.

2 Likes

Don’t you want the big purple block for free?

3 Likes

i think its an issue with the app, on my windows 10 desktop it is also broken but on my windows 7 laptop it is fine

1 Like

9 posts were split to a new topic: Running old versions of Windows and security

A post was merged into an existing topic: Running old versions of Windows and security

Jimothy has weighed in after a few developments…

1. Devs being harassed after announcing Epic exclusivity
  2. Devs reporting that Epic is refusing to sell their games on the Epic Store unless they accept an exclusive deal (first time hearing about this — really scummy of Epic, if true)
2 Likes

This sadly is true

2 Likes

Talk about losing what little moral high ground they had…

3 Likes