4K & UHD Televisions

@aldyr being his usual helpful self :rofl:

TRIGGERED

HDR is best at 4k, increased resolution and with 10 or 12bit panels. You want 10-bit or more colour depth, to eliminate banding.

Next, what about use case: watching a movie in HDR vs gaming in HDR? Input lag is already huge, by monitor standards, add in HDR, and you’re input lag spikes by orders of magnitude.

There are TV’s that spout HDR and 10-bit, that are actually still 8-bit. So while they attempt some implementation of HDR, it’s trash.

How many nits is enough? Is it the blackest blacks, and the brightest whites? Maybe, maybe not. But if your TV is capable of high brightness and very dark blacks, it helps in having a wider range per pixel. On a related note but surprising often assumed one: bloom isn’t HDR.

I guess what I’m getting at is, all these stats help to paint a collective picture of whether, what they (the manufacturer), say is good HDR in there TV really is good HDR.

Everyone wants to slap HDR on the side of the box, and often you need to spend an inordinate amount of time, finding a MODEL not a brand, that actually lives up to the performance.

How about content? How much content actually implements HDR “correctly”? That’s in quotes, because standards vary widely across hardware, movie content, console implementation, game, pc…

My rude response, is a calculated assumption, that you have 1080p display, that isn’t a cut above the rest, and that the HDR that you are enjoying, is in fact, not well implemented, because consumerism trumps making a stellar mid or lower spec panel, from a manufacturer’s perspective. #sorry

2 Likes

Wow… all I want to do is have an enjoyable viewing experience. #sorryforasking

2 Likes

I blame @oltman, cos i should have left it at no.

3 Likes

lol sorry, I’m just cranky as I have a banging headache. I could follow up with more questions due to lack of knowledge or uncertainty but I don’t think you want to entertain that :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

If you’re happy with what you have, then it ends here. If you have cash to splash, I would focus on bang for buck. TV’s aren’t cheap, and HDR is quite frankly so inconsistent across products, it’s seems nuts to weight that feature high when choosing.

What’s your priority list? What’s important or not to you? What deal breaker features or technology must it have?

• Price
  • Size
  • Resolution
  • Colour Gamut
  • Brightness
  • Post processing effects
  • Smart software
  • Response time
  • Refresh rate
  • 3D
  • HDR
  • LCD
  • LED
  • OLED/AMOLED
  • Brand
  • Guarantee vs Warranty
  • Payment options (hey, some people buy big, but because they’re paying it off over 2 years, it’s less painful)
1 Like

This was to me quite useful to see the difference in HDR implementation…

Now I know its MONITORS, but the convo has moved to HDR and I feel its appropriate :slight_smile:

1 Like

I still have a headache so I’ll leave this short.

I thought HDR was explicit to UHD/4K displays.

1 Like

Whoops, can of worms opened :joy:

1 Like

Dude. I appreciate your feedback and insight. Honestly, this is still up in the air for me as it is a heft amount to put out. The only way I can afford such luxuries is by using my 13th check. Seeing as I do value the input that you have placed here, I would like to give more insight as to my reasoning of wanting to upgrade from my Bravia 46" LCD HD TV.

Price - hopeful price of 8,000, realistically I don't want to go more than 10,000.

Size - currently have 46" to upgrade would be nice, expecting around 55"

Resolution - 4K would be great as I have PS4 Pro and Xbox One X that can take advantage of this. Outside of that, viewing movies, YouTube or Netflix in 4K would be a bonus

Colour Gamut, Brightness, Post processing effects - haven't put much thought into these options, whatever works within the other factors which take priority.

Smart software - I'm not too phased about it being "smart", I have devices to do this for me but it seems unavoidable with the current tech.

Response time, Refresh rate - not too phased by these options, as long as the ghosting isn't (too) obvious.

3D - couldn't care, not interested.

HDR - this would be one of the deciding factors for upgrading, along with 4K.

LCD, LED, OLED/AMOLED - I'm not too savvy with the technicalities of the differences of these. So I guess it will depend on the other preferred features as being the deciding factors, if it looks good I'm happy.

Brand - I do love my Sony products, especially when it comes to audiovisual. I'm not a fan of Samsung products, but if it ends up being the best value then I will gladly pay the amount to have the features I want despite brand specific, I would even take a Hisense or LG.

Guarantee vs Warranty - these things normally have a 2-year warranty innit?

Payment options (hey, some people buy big, but because they’re paying it off over 2 years, it’s less painful) - as stipulated, this will likely be a cash payment in full

Guys, if we all help we can find @Beo a good tv at a cheap price! I’m no expert but I found this so long:

R7700

Doesn’t have the best HDR and poor viewing angles but low input lag.

1 Like

This one looks pretty cool:

https://www.takealot.com/hisense-55-uhd-android-smart-tv-with-hdr-dolby-vision-bluetooth/PLID69152532/product-information

Has Dolby Vision too. Can’t find too much information on it.

1 Like

@Solitude thanks for the links, I hadn’t even considered Incredible Connection to be honest.

The biggest “issue” here is that I won’t be able to take advantage of Black Friday deals, not they’re really deals in my opinion. But if I do decide to purchase, it will only happen closer to the Xmas period.

1 Like

Cool, we can look closer to the time if you are interested then.

1 Like

We have the 50" version of this TV and I’m happy with it.

2 Likes
  1. Go view as many TV displays in stores as you can. Take not of the models/series that make you wet. Make a list.
  2. Search for online deals said list.
  3. Find the spec sheets of the final list from a 3rd party less biased website, eg. https://www.displayspecifications.com/ so you can objectively compare the TV’s.
1 Like