AMD Radeon RX 6000 Series

Introducing the AMD Radeon™ RX 6000 Series graphics cards, featuring the breakthrough AMD RDNA™ 2 architecture, engineered to deliver ultra-high performance, ultra-high resolution and visually stunning gaming for all.

It’s great to see AMD competing in the high end GPU market again. The RX 6000 series line-up will include 3 high-end SKUs at launch (Q42020):

Radeon RX 6900 XT

Compute Units: 80
Ray Accelerators: 80
Game Frequency¹: Up to 2015 MHz
Infinity Cache: 128 MB
Max Memory Size: 16 GB
Memory Type (GPU): GDDR6
Price: $999

Radeon RX 6800 XT

Compute Units: 72
Ray Accelerators: 72
Game Frequency¹: Up to 2015 MHz
Price: $649

Radeon RX 6800

Compute Units: 60
Ray Accelerators: 60
Game Frequency¹: Up to 1815 MHz
Price: $579

¹‘Game Frequency’ is the expected GPU clock when running typical gaming applications, set to typical TGP (Total Graphics Power). Actual individual game clock results may vary.

Additional Info:

AMD Radeon RX 6000 Series | AMD RDNA 2 Graphics Architecture

7 Likes

Well, RT is obviously where this generation is going to see the biggest visual and performance gains. So until we see some benchmarks compared to Nvidia’s offerings, I’m not holding my breath. I was burned by AMD previously with an R9-280x, so I’m quite skeptical about their GPU offerings. I’m a huge fan of Ryzen though and I’m relishing my 3700X and X570 mobo.

2 Likes

Yeah, bring on the independent benchmarks and comparison testing. If (when?) AMD manage to get their GPU products to the same place that they’ve managed to get Ryzen, the gaming world will be a better, happier place for everyone.

But right now, like you, the Ryzen + RTX combination works best for me.

1 Like

This is exactly what AMD should be doing! Disruption in the market! They’ve already made great CPUs and have Intel worried as they claw more and more market share away from them. And now it’s Nvidia’s turn.

Competition is a good thing, and if AMDs performance claims are to be believed, they will seriously be competing against Nvidia. I’m very excited to see what the 6000 series cards do in benchmarks, and I think a lot more people will be moving to team red in the future.

3 Likes

Amd are currently the masters at binning, they make 1 cpu/gpu, if the silicone is not good enough for the top tier they cut some bridges/disable some CU’s and it becomes a lower end product. they are saving millions on R&D compared to intel that makes a quadcore thats different from the 6 core and their 8 core, same with nvidia who uses binning to a point but not as efficiently as AMD.

2 Likes

I’m hoping we’ll see the same accuracy levels of the launch benchmarks that AMD used in the video compared to real life numbers as with the Ryzen 5xxx. It feels like nearly every real life benchmark matched or exceeded the AMD numbers there, and if they pull a similar rabbit with the GFX, they’ll see a huge uptick in Red adoption.
Also, you’ll actually be able to buy a 6900 XT, as opposed to the competition…

1 Like

I guess if one wants the consistency in PC gaming as you’ll get from consoles, then AMD would make sense. Especially now that the GPU shares the same platform as the new console GPUs.

3 Likes

AMD Smart Access Memory* –“An exclusive feature of systems with AMD Ryzen™ 5000 Series processors, AMD B550 and X570 motherboards and Radeon™ RX 6000 Series graphics cards.

*It gives AMD Ryzen™ processors greater access to the high-speed GDDR6 graphics memory, accelerating CPU processing and providing up to a 13-percent performance increase on a AMD Radeon™ RX 6800 XT graphics card in Forza Horizon™ 4 at 4K when combined with the new Rage Mode one-click overclocking setting”.

This is interesting too and might be a push to get people to go for all AMD builds. There’s still not much reason to do that and they have to be developer optimised.

2 Likes

If its that good will they try all that hard to compete.

3 Likes

The first two feature videos are now available:

2 Likes

Those both look really, really impressive. :+1:
I’d happily go all AMD right now with a Radeon RX 6000 and Ryzen 5000 series CPU if I had anywhere near the money it would take.

1 Like

Sell a lung, oxygen is overrated

1 Like
1 Like

Same as Nvidia 3000 series no stock available it seems . When stock is available will be sticking with Nvidia, the feature set and ray tracing performance is the differentiator.

Well done to Amd though for close the gap though. Means we have true competition and NV can’t price whatever they want.

3 Likes

I read something on reddit a week or two ago where AMD said they managed to raise their production numbers a bit after the mass nVidia stock outs, but it was only when their own pre-orders sold out almost instantly that they realised how badly nVidia shit the bed on the 3XXX series production.

I’m 100% with you, though - the fact that there is strong competition between green and red results in a win for consumers. The only thing that I’m worried about is that it feels like the mid-range cards have become the entry level cards… No 3060 means your entry level machine is looking at a 2060S or a 2070, which is around R9000 again! Where are the R3000 to R5000 cards?

1 Like

NV tends to release the mid range cards later. I guess the market for the top tier are also the early adopters. The guys looking for bang-for-buck are the ones who are willing to be patient.

But also, sadly, GPU prices have skyrocketed and the entry level cards are now the only ones you’d be lucky to find below R5k. For that reason I doubt I’ll ever purchase a new GPU again, just like with cars it’ll be the used market for me.

I get the feeling it’s important for Nvidia to release the top-tier card first to claim the performance crown and create a halo effect that will lead people to believe everything under that performance crown umbrella is good. AMD might have something good now but the real battle IMO is winning over people’s mindshare. And right now they have a lot more than just Nvidia’s performance crown to compete with; RTX, DLSS, AI streaming features, Shadow Play, NVenc, better drivers, etc.

2 Likes

In theory, the closer the performance, the more competition, the more their pricing keeps each other in check. In reality, being in the ass end of africa, every seller wants to pay off house bonds with their margins :cry: R15 - R20k for a bloody graphics card…

How many of you use RTX?
How many of you use DLSS?
AI Streaming? What is this? i haven’t kept up with features, that i don’t use.
Shadow play/NVenc?
Drivers? If you’re on linux, you know nvidia is garbage, and a ball ache, and prone to problems.

3 Likes

It wasn’t like this before, though. In 2016 the GeForce 1080 was released a whole 2 weeks before the 1070 and the 1060. The 1060 also had a 3Gb and 6Gb version, so the entry level had multiple points of entry.

I completely agree with the second half of your paragraph - I’m amazed to see how AMD puts up an impressive, strong offering but the conversation on reddit and social media seems to still be leaning towards the green cards that you can’t actually have, heavily… Brand loyalty seems to be incredibly strong here. As someone who has always picked cards based on budget first, and then bang-for-buck, it makes little sense to me.

1 Like