Annoyances of the modern web

What are the greatest annoyances of the modern web. I think it is those cookie popups that ask you to accept all or customise. If you didn’t ask me I wouldn’t care. But since you’ve asked me I’m going to deny everything that can be denied. And damn you for putting a big colurful button at the end of that and trying to trick my parents into accepting everything anyway.

Another annoyance is those popups that the website wants to push updates to you. No I don’t want that either.

What your biggest annoyance of the modern web?

3 Likes

Good.

Keep doing that.

1 Like

Thank GDPR for that.

3 Likes

Sadly yes. But unfortunately they have applied bad and poor practices when it comes to the engagement of said pop-ups and modals.

I could talk for many hours about the dark practices that websites use to coerce their users.

3 Likes

Popups any form of it i despise

3 Likes

When browsing on a mobile device and the ads take up 70% of the viewport, and the incesent videos scroll with you (not being able to skip or close), not only taking up the majority of your view but forcing you to increase your data consumption.

3 Likes

Having to subscribe to 50 streaming services when there is only a handful of series and/or movies I’m actually interested in on each.

1 Like

THIS! :angry:

Look at the excessive use of ads! Out of 100% of my screen, the focus area for the content which is relevant to me is probably about a third of the viewport.

3 Likes

The irony of the awful, distracting, overloaded UI on a site and article focused on excellence in UI design!

The sites that irritate me the most are the ones with the interestingly titled article that I need to scroll through four pages of interspersed adverts before I get to find out the answer to my question.

I happily whitelist sites I use regularly that don’t go overboard like this with the ads, but otherwise, it is amazing what a decent ad block extension can do for your online sanity:

5 Likes

Consent to Cookie Crap and Pop UPS, Gawd Damn popups aaaaaaaaaarghhhh

2 Likes

Or recipe sites that you have to scroll through 4 pages of how the author found their grandma’s old baking tins in the attic and how it inspired them before you get to the actual recipe.

2 Likes