Anthem (2019)

Yeah cannot wait for the overhaul, I already like the game and I do believe it just needs some good nurturing and it could turn into an extremely good game. The world itself has great potential, it looks beautiful and, I already like the charm with some of the NPCs, so go for it BioWare, we know you can do it.

2 Likes

Iā€™m with @Beo, @Shrike, and @TechThief on this. The greatest tragedy of Anthem is its unrealised potential.

Not sure if the story is salvageable (with the little bit that I played, the premise of the Freelancers falling out of favour falls a bit flat in the context of the rest of the world), but the characters were cool enough and the core Iron Man exosuit gameplay mechanic was great fun.

It just feels like youā€™re playing a proof of concept (with a reasonably fleshed out main campaign), rather than an actual fully developed game.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve been trying to follow news and development on Anthem and especially itā€™s supposed 2.0 release, albeit at a casual pace. Iā€™m still intrigued too see itā€™s eventual outcome and this came up on my feed and thought it interesting enough to share. Especially if anyone is still holding on to hopes for this.

3 Likes

I hope it doesnā€™t just fade to black, really hope it gets that 2.0 update, it truly does have a lot of potential to be good.

2 Likes

I canā€™t believe it has been 2 years already!

2 Likes

And its deadā€¦

They are stopping development on Anthem, but the game in its current state will remain live for a while still. No Anthem Next.

3 Likes

Must admit Iā€™m kinda sad. I have no vested interest in it, but I did have hopes for it and would have like to have seen that they would have done with it and if it ever would have measured up to anything.

1 Like

I wonder if they would ever consider selling the IP to a small, indie studio? Thereā€™s so much promise there, that it seems silly to just shelve the project and move on.

3 Likes

Iā€™m also sad about the announcement because I agree that Anthem could have been a really special game. It was so close to being great. The core idea was fantastic, but the technical foundation was lacking.

It reminds me a lot of Hellgate: London. Hellgateā€™s problem is that it was ahead of its time. Anthemā€™s problem is that it was a product of its time.

3 Likes

FTFY.

1 Like