Apple gearing up to switch from Intel to ARM-based CPUs in 2020

It appears the reports that Apple aims to switch their Mac computers to ARM architecture processors might become a reality sooner than later. The story was all but confirmed earlier this year when it emerged that the lead CPU architect at ARM, Mike Filippo, was hired at Apple as its new chief chip architect.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://ink.mostepic.win/is-apple-switching-their-desktops-to-arm-architecture-next-year/
2 Likes

Interesting and in-depth article. Thanks @DohcWP!

2 Likes

I just hope this doesn’t become the " PowerPC" issue all over again.

If they can retain x86 compatibility without any complications it will be fine, but if this means having to maintain two sets of binaries for Mac at some point I’ll lose my shit

1 Like

More profit for Apple too I expect. Doubt they’ll past the savings on. :moneybag:

1 Like

Haha hahaha passing on savings to customers. Don’t make me choke on my caviar

1 Like

my big question is how long will they support the recently announced 28 core intel based mac pro’s,cause im guessing 3 to 4 years of support atleast

1 Like

The same way Apple supports anything…POORLY

1 Like

Yeah… I also hope they don’t use this change as an opportunity to lock down the Mac ecosystem like the iOS ecosystem. If they go that way it’s definitely the end of me using MacBooks for work.