Atari 2600+ : The Icon Returns

In a solid throwback to simpler times, Atari USA is bringing back the iconic Atari 2600, upgraded for these more modern times.

The Atari 2600+ is a shrunken version of the 2600 that works with both 2600 and 7800 cartridges.

• Builds on the Legacy: The new Atari 2600+ builds on the original machine with modern quality of life features such as HDMI output, USB power and multiple screen resolutions, and includes an exact replica of the original CX40+ Joystick.
  • Backwards Compatible: The cartridge slot is backwards compatible with hundreds of original Atari 2600 and 7800 games. The ‘10 Games in 1’ cartridge includes iconic games such as Adventure, Combat, Dodge ‘em, Haunted House, Maze Craze, Missile Command, Volleyball, Surround, Video Pinball and Yars’ Revenge.
  • Look and feel of the 80s: The Atari 2600+ has been lovingly crafted using modern technology, from the movement of the joystick to the resistance on the switches, the machine incorporates many of the original key features that were such a hit with fans. It also includes the authentic woodgrain outer shell finish.
  • Games Included: Adventure Combat Dodge ‘Em Haunted House Maze Craze Missile Command Realsports Volleyball Surround Video Pinball Yars’ Revenge

The new version of the 2600 is a slightly scaled-down replica of the original. It’s a fully functioning, 80 percent scale, HDMI-outputting version of the console that comes with a 10-in-1 game cartridge. Atari says it even supports both 2600 and later 7800 game cartridges and will work with the original joystick and paddle controllers.

Aside from being a little smaller and gaining HDMI and USB-C ports, the 2600 Plus is mostly unchanged. The front bears a strip of wood paneling with a light-up Atari logo, while four toggle switches flank its cartridge slot. Atari says the cartridge socket is a little bigger to help with sticking cartridges. On the back by the HDMI and USB-C outputs, you’ll find two serial ports like those used on the original system.

Due to release on 17 November and priced at $130, the unit can be pre-ordered directly through the Atari site or at selected retailers internationally. Sadly, in both cases, South Africa is excluded from the options. If you want one, you’ll either need to go to the States to fetch it, use a freight forwarding service, or see if one of the listed international retailers works for you.

Alternatively, it is currently listed on Amazon at ~R2500 (129.99), with delivery to South Africa and duties adding an additional ~R900 for a total of ~R3400.

Anyone still holding onto any old 2600 or 7800 Atari game cartridges?

1 Like

Beautiful! Love this premium retro style. My dad had an XL800 along with the disk and tape drive. Not sure if he still has it packed in a cupboard somewhere.

2 Likes

Sadly I lent my 2600 and carts to a friend while we were waiting for the N64 to get released so we’d have something to play at his new place.

I left it with him, things went sour, and after a couple years when we got back in touch, I found out he left them in storage and his mom thought they were worthless and tossed 'em… I had a whole bunch of carts that were selling for $25 back in the 90s. I’m sure they’d be worth more now…

3 Likes