Atomic Heart

Atomic Heart describes itself as an adventure first-person shooter that unfolds in an alternative universe, during hieght of the Soviet Union. You will be taking on the role of special agent P-3 who was sent by the Soviet government to a highly secret facility # 3826 after it went silent. This all sounds like a fairly standard premise for a game, but you may not think so after watching the following trailer:

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://ink.mostepic.win/atomic-heart/
3 Likes

It looks amazing!

It looks great. A little too scary for me, but I will keep an eye on it.

I am not sure I can play this. The way the make the zombies seem like object and not the people they are makes me feel uncomfortable

It’s been a right old minute, hasn’t it?..

Atomic Heart has gone gold and will release 21 February.

1 Like

Reviews are coming in somewhat mixed…

IGN - Atomic Heart Review: Hack in the USSR.
[8/10] Review scoring. great. Atomic Heart is a highly imaginative, atompunk-inspired attempt at picking up where the likes of BioShock left off.

Games Radar - Atomic Heart review: A messy game with big ideas
[2.5/5] Atomic Heart has a lot of big ideas, but it doesn’t do a good enough job with the basics. With an incomprehensible storyline, weightless combat, and frustrating first-person platforming, Atomic Heart is left to stand in the shadow of the video games that so clearly inspired it.

metacritic - 72%-75%
Mixed or average reviews based on 29 Critic Reviews

OpenCritic - Fair Rating
74% Top Critic Average, 52% Critics Recommend

1 Like

It’s rated Very Positive on Steam which has become my more trusted metric these days.

3 Likes

Very valid point Darth!

Steam - 89% of the 2,200 user reviews for this game are positive
ALL REVIEWS: Very Positive (2,200)
STEAMDB RATING: 85.98%

2 Likes

Steam Reviews have always been hit or miss for me. Sure a thumbs up or down is some kind of metric, but I don’t think it’s enough. Take a look at some of the review text for instance:

There’s a mix of actually valuable content, and meme tier junk imo.

Filtering by negative reviews often yields some more well thought out stuff, but equally, is it worth giving a game the thumbs down due to no FOV or ray-tracing? Maybe for some.

3 Likes

Yeah you got to do a bit of reading between the lines, but the hours on record can give you a good indication of whether or not to take the review seriously. Yet aside from review bombs on occasion, the percentage of positive views gives you a reasonable idea if it is a hit or miss

3 Likes