Background Music Streams and Playlists

I’m a big fan of playing low key background music on my PC or laptop when I’m working. One of the easiest ways to do this is to play something from one of the many continuous livestreams on YouTube. This is especially true when I don’t want to hassle with waiting for iTunes to update again so I can access the library there. And before another irritating Spotify ad takes me out of my flow again.

One of the live streams that I’ve regularly gone back to (well, technically there were two) are those that Lofi Girl has had running for over 2 years.

beats to relax/study to” was live for 20 843 hours, while “beats to sleep/chill to” had racked up 20 772 hours. I say “was live” because both of them were taken down within minutes of each other by YouTube after a false DMCA copyright claim.

Fortunately, YouTube have subsequently acknowledged that the takedown requests were abusive and have promised to reinstate the videos.

They haven’t yet though, and the Lofi Girl channel has not started a new stream yet either, so I’ve been looking for something new to play in the background in the meanwhile. I have found a couple of things, but thought it might be interesting to hear from others as well.

Do you listen to music when you’re working? (And I specifically mean working at a desk, doing admin type, computer-based type work.) If you do, what do you listen to? Share your playlists and links.

4 Likes

Brutal… Looks like she’ll be back tonight at 6pm.

I do use spotify from time to time still, even with the ads, but I’ll buy a sub when they do the 3 months for the price of 1 thing.

For some reason, psytrance jives with my brain in such a way I can really focus on programming and such while I work. DJ Electric Samurai on youtube has some good 1+ hour streams for that, but it’s not for everyone.

4 Likes

Great thread! I have some form of background music going for all occasions. I do not like silence, unless I’m sleeping. I don’t often have a “go-to” playlist, instead often just look for something that vibes with my current mindset or mood. Often I will get a song or a few minutes into a playlist or stream and change it cos it didn’t “feel” right.

Work

• Focus work - I will often have some techno, melodic techno, or even some trance or subgenre. I could also have some synthwave or DOOM-like music. I find anything that lacks vocals helps me to concentrate and really hone in on problem-solving (I’ve posted much of this in the What are you listening to thread).
    Try some gaming music from Work Geek Out
    Eg. My personal Techno Jamalams and Banging Tjunes playlists.
  • Meetings - Whether I am hosting or in a meeting where I need to maintain a level of focus and concentration I will often have something that supports this, and tone down the volume enough to maintain a level where you can hear each other. So examples much like you’ve posted I would use as a go-to. Things that I find support this, or musical vibes that hit those notes and frequencies will include typical lofi beats but also isochronic tones, frequencies and tempos that speak to the left and right brain.
    Try Chill Music Lab and Jason Lewis - Mind Amend

Personal

• Sundays - I will often have Christian music playing, typically some form of worship or praise while we’re busy doing household chores, cooking, cleaning etc. Sometimes I will just pick a track or playlist from YouTube or I have a running playlist for this that I continually add to.
  • Dinner times - while at the table and not having something on TV but to break the silence I will often play something that the family likes, this could come in the form of TobyMac or my Fly Christian playlist
  • Family time and Chill - My family loves Jeremy Loops, Matthew Mole, Xavier Rudd, along with Hollow Coves and the like. Sometimes we’ll have Katie Melua or Norah Jones going too, or some lekker SA favourites, or even the aforementioned Lofi Girl streams.
  • Sexy Time - No! Get your mind out of the gutter. I just mean romantic time or personal one-on-one time with my wife whether that’s over coffee or just talking we like to listen to some songs that we built together in the form of our Wedding playlist.

Currently Playing

So there you have it, all of the links should work, I don’t think any of them are private or locked. I hope it helps you in finding something new to listen to and explore. My apologies if this came out as a bit much but I love sharing and talking about musical interests and enjoy finding new music.

3 Likes

Tomorrowland has a 21-day livestream set up for this years festival. Interviews, news, recaps during the day, live sets in the evening.

Most of the sets and music from Tomorrowland 2022 on their One World Radio stream:

And the Daybreak Sessions still running on a separate stream:

2 Likes

Other channels and videos I often go to for background and focus music are BeyondSkys, sadly they don’t have many videos but it is quality what they do have.

2 Likes

Discovered Shingo Nakamura a couple of years ago and have become a big fan. Stoked to have you share this one.

Here’s a full Shingo set to add to your playlist…

(In fact, been listening to a lot of the Monstercat/Silk channel stuff lately.)

2 Likes

I love Shingo Nakamura, also been listening to his stuff for years. Actually been playing it last few days too.

2 Likes

A few more notable mentions include:

and

3 Likes

This is sublime. Fantastic combination of lo-fi and OST.

4 Likes

No it isn’t. This is Sublime

Still, like the lofi. Good stuff!

4 Likes

Found a new service like Lofi Girl, there are so many of these but some don’t always gel with me. This one did however:

2 Likes

More and more of these started showing up in my recommendations and I have been loving them. They’re perfect for that quiet or down time in the house as it give you something to look at while it plays and creates discussions and conversations too.

3 Likes

Lo-fi Girl has a new 24/7 stream for Synthwave chill Beats experiences.

4 Likes

Oh! oh! oh! I don’t see any more royalty free type notification on their channels, and I’ve had two or three muted portions using the lofi beats on stream, but I might have to switch over.

Hype!

3 Likes

Hmm thumbnails aren’t working.

Edit: FTFY.

2 Likes

These are really good and relaxing.

3 Likes