Batalj (online turn-based action strategy game)

BATALJ—which means ‘combat’ in Swedish—is a 1v1 game combines Overwatch-style characters (and event fonts) with XCOM-style turn-based combat. DICE co-founder Markus Nyström is among the members of Fall Damage, the studio behind the game.

BATALJ lets you pick and customise a squad from 54 total units and nine heroes, then send them to battle in a way that fits your play style. Turns take place simultaneously, which is an interesting touch, and the developers are keen to underline that ‘action’ plays a big part here. Each turn starts with a planning phase, before the ensuing action reveals which of you or your opponent made the best tactical decisions. It’s a lot of trying to predict what the other player will do next, as well as understanding how your loadout of units fits together.

Due for release in 2019, the game is presently running a Closed Beta on Steam for the entire month of December. If you’re keen to try the beta I have two Beta Keys available that I won’t be using. Let me know, and I’ll PM to ya pronto pronto.

2 Likes