Beating Off 2.0

i also have an old xps, still going strong, being used as a media pc…

1 Like

i dont think i have a problem, more a preserver

i still have both a working pentium 1 and a slot 1 pentium III machines at home, im trying to keep them running as long as possible

i remember i think yours is a 1530

xps 1330

1 Like

yes, and i got it in 2007/8…

loved that machine, would like to buy a new alienware one but its just too expensive

thats the thing, i dont even know what caused it :no_mouth:

2 Likes

do you still have the media remote that came with it

Unpopular opinion from me, but here goes, don’t get the “gaming” models like Alienware. You can get a Precision with the exact same specifications for less money. Yes it looks less flashy, but it will last. Same goes for the RoG, etc etc etc models with other brands

3 Likes

jip, even has the same battery in and it works(as of december 2018 it still worked, haven check recently if it works)

i know but the alienware is just so damn pretty…im a sucker for pretty lights

1 Like

just buy the precision model and stick a usb powered led strip on it :rofl:

3 Likes

hahaha i dont need a laptop right now, but will keep that in mind when my lenovo plastic-elcheapo-ideapad dies

I think the thing is for multi-purpose laptops, i.e. work and game, the ROGs and Omens of the world are better specced. I rarely see professional grade laptops with dedicated GPUs, never mind the higher tier cards.

But anyway, at least my suspicion was correct regarding my laptop (a ROG Strix). The SSD was unseated due to vibrations and carrying around. Reseating and fastening the screws got it running again as per normal. I just didn’t want to risk voiding the warranty by opening the machine and breaking the seal.

4 Likes

Have a good weekend everyone!

I am gonna disappear a bit most likely altho will be gaming :smiley:

1 Like

If you dont care about battery life, the alienware is great. Mine has a 120hz refresh rate screen, so i cant switch to the internal gpu, so the battery lasts for about an hour. Hence why i bought a mac now again for work.

For work I mainly just need a browser, a text editor and a big bucket of ram.

1 Like

These days I mainly need Microsoft Word and a drawing app of sorts for work, hence my usage of an iPad 6th gen with Apple Pencil in meetings and workshops… I haven’t written much code in the past 6 months.

I get that, technically as long as I have a device that can open a browser and edit text files I’m OK to actually work.

Have all the build, test and deployment pipelines set up in such a way that we can just work.

Greetings from the mighty Mosi-oa-Tunya, the smoke that thunders!

8 Likes

Very beautiful!

1 Like

All having a good evening?