Beating Off 2.0

oh ja dit ook nog…mmm wel jy gaan dit met jou pa moet square dan, hahaha

1 Like

MEW running on a phone connected to one of ASUS’ new portable monitors. :grinning:

7 Likes

I want that for our shop

1 Like

a effin yellow line driving zuma loving supporter in a corolla clipped my wing mirror this evening (luckily it didnt break) and then i also read schitt like this and it just strengthens my sentiments to leave this forsaken fckn country.

To vote here will never bring change, this country is like global warming its past the point of no return. all the decent people just need to leave and forget about this hell Hole

1 Like

Clippy being helpful

Seriously, though, that’s terrible. You know what makes me stop feeling sad and angry and feel awesome instead? Neil Patrick Harris. Videos of puppies being cute.

And also Neil Patrick Harris.

1 Like

2 Likes

Then leave, you’ll see that it’s not that easy to leave. Now I know I sing the praises of the UK, but you have to keep in mind that I stay in an upper-middle class county in the countryside.

If you travel to say London and especially the working class areas of London things change. It’s not quite as safe and utopian as you’re used to.

2 Likes

This. Many people want to leave, but just aren’t able to. The people who have left claim how incredibly easy it was. Sadly, for 90% of the working class, even skilled individuals, opportunities will never present themselves. Countries are tightening migration laws every year and are generally only looking for young, single graduates. The moment you hit 30 and have a wife and, God forbid, a child your chances decline to almost none at all.

There are still options though, like entrepreneurial visas to start up branches of successful foreign companies. This is the route we went in establishing our Irish branch earlier this year. I now have an avenue to emigrate very quickly if I need to.

3 Likes

Oh, just to add - I’m not planning on emigrating quite soon. I have a year to see through in beautiful Cape Town first. :blush:

3 Likes

Canada actually seems to be supremely easy to get into (relatively speaking). My wife has communicated with a South African truck driver who emigrated.

So long as you can secure a job offer from Canada, you’re basically guaranteed an invitation to apply (ITA) for permanent residency (PR). An ITA basically means you get PR, so long as there is nothing on your record that will disqualify you (I think like a criminal record and stuff).

There is a huge demand for skilled people in Canada, and skilled doesn’t necessarily mean “professional” in the doctor/engineer/lawyer sense of the word. They need teachers, coaches, all kinds of skills — even experienced truck drivers.

(Trevor Noah jokes that immigrants do the work the locals don’t want — that rings true.)

My cousin is a highly qualified and experienced ballet teacher and over 30, and she was able to take her whole family over (to Canada). Husband plus two kids, all on her ticket. That said she didn’t just walk into the job — there was some stiff competition for the post she was applying for.

In other words leaving is not easy, and being older and having a family can count against you, but that doesn’t count you out.

So long as you you have the experience and skills the country in question needs, and are willing to take the language tests and jump through all the other necessary hoops, they’ll take you.

*UPDATE: That’s why South Africa is bleeding its best and brightest at an alarming rate at the moment. Despite what the news says, there is actually a fairly permissive climate for skilled immigrants in developed countries / mature economies, and they’ll take people from any colour or creed so long as you have the skills and can communicate effectively in their language.

4 Likes

Erm… I just realized that some people might not find discussions like this particularly positive.

If anyone feels that they clicked on the thread and saw these messages and were like “meh… I don’t want to go back there”, please let me know in PM?

We can make a plan to isolate discussions like this in a different category or create a topic for people to vent in or something.

3 Likes

I honestly have no issue with this type of discussion. We do it daily in real life as well as behind the keyboard. I find it facinating. I wish I could leave, having spent time in a first world country, and even Australia, I would if I could. Just because I know how much there is out there. Yes its not green grass, more like the cape town lawns currently - patchy at best.

But for the three years I was in the uk/aus. I was debt free, lived within my salary comfortably, not fancy at all. I mean I shared a house with four people, didnt have my own transport. And minimal savings.

BUT I was comfortable, I was doing good.

Here by comparison, I live with my parents, I work for my dad, and I have debt - not a huge amount, but some. I honestly cant say the uk is safer than SA, I saw some stats earlier today that was scary. But still, as much as I miss the uk, the space we have in south africa, we take it for granted. I don’t miss living with four - 12 people, I dont miss the food or arrogance from the brits and americans I encountered.

But for living comfortably I would leave easily again.

2 Likes

What I don’t get is the people who criticize those who have left (or fled, depending on how they word it) the country. I’m worried about the current state of SA and the future looks bleak IMHO at best.

Unless corruption and incompetence get nipped in the butt things will never get better.

3 Likes

Canada ain’t as safe as you’d think either… We have Canadian Geese. One chased a friend of my mom’s this week and she fell off her bike and broke her ankle (or something)…

Canadian Geese are evil!

(At least they apologize)

5 Likes

images%20(1)

3 Likes

The only goose you really need when life is getting you down is…
Who’s up for a little day drinking? I’m buying…:cocktail:

4 Likes

I have no idea who that is…

1 Like

Sign me up!

2 Likes

Except that’s French

2 Likes

It is really sad what happened to them. I know that area well, have to drive there when i go visit my mom. its just crazy that human life means so little to some people.

thing is not everyone is able to leave and leaving is not a solution, it creates more problems.

2 Likes