“This is not the greatest topic in the world… this is just a tribute”

That doesn’t actually solve the issue, although it does help you a bit; I’ll try and explain as simply as I can.

What this doesn’t prevent is someone outside of your network passing a DNS request to your router, which then in turn instead of dropping the packet, forwards it on. Now if you want to be nasty you also push a malformed DNS packet which causes an “amplification” (a DNS request message of some 60 bytes can be configured to elicit a response message of over 4000 bytes to the target server). Now this doesn’t affect you or your router, but what it does once it hits the target DNS server (say Cool Ideas) is overloading it, especially effective if you get 100s or even 1000s of people doing this at the same time.

1 Like

So who is working tomorrow?

1 Like

Nope Im going home now at 12 then work at the second job from 2 till 7
then off tomorrow

2 Likes

Thanks, man. That means a lot.

So true! I’m going to be pursuing a few follow-ups on this. ISPs are going to have to be better about not only updating their clients’ routers, but filtering out attack traffic from their subscribers that might be targeting another network.

Hey! So’s your face! Or something… :stuck_out_tongue:

In seriousness, I pity my poor editors sometimes. I file these 1000+ word epics and they don’t always have any more time to edit them than the 300-word articles that have become the staple of online journalism.

Cut them some slack :wink:.

Yeah, this is an issue for me as well.

With Vox I was able to request access to my router, so long as I signed a document which said that I take responsibility for anything I might break. They warn that if they have to send out a technician to fix something that I broke, they would bill me for it… Which is fair.

3 Likes

yea its fair to have that because if something is broken and its the users fault then its more than fair.

1 Like

So @DarthMol’s thread topic on wallpapers made me go check out Amplitude Studios’ website. They have the weirdest promo video for careers at the studio:

1 Like

It’s really not that hard, but you need to know what you are doing. I personally believe many of the ISPs have the required people or equipment in place to mitigate these attacks

2 Likes

I still need to complete that quest to know what to do and how to stop it.

1 Like

Spent whole morning throwing cement, good times…

1 Like

Quickest way, disable the DNS server on the router and get DHCP on your router to push 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (Google DNS servers) to all DHCP clients.

1 Like

cool will have a look. Still need to try get access to my router.

2 Likes

Maybe me sadly

Yello’s …… being bombarded by bacon smell, murderous!

2 Likes

I didn’t realise you’d gone to heaven.

3 Likes

dude, everyone and their aunty is constantly munching on bacon here :smile: I went for an interview the other day and I swear everyone was noshing bacon butties!

3 Likes

Bacon FTW

4 Likes

I reduced the Render Scale in PUBG to 75. It’s actually playable now.

1 Like

Sitting at work with nothing to do since every other place is closed

1 Like

That sucks. Do you get to leave earlier?

1 Like

Have a good day everyone

Busy with unisa homework!

1 Like