Browser Wars 2K23

For reference, here’s GlobalStats’ statcounter stats for Worldwide Desktop use for the year ending December 2021:

https://gs.statcounter.com/browser-market-share/desktop/worldwide

And for Worldwide Mobile use:

https://gs.statcounter.com/browser-market-share/mobile/worldwide

3 Likes

haha I was literally just there about to pull the same graphs. I love this and also wanted to create a Browser Wars thread, you beat me to it.

I love these conversations and finding out this information, not because it goes against what he/she says or uses or because X is better than Y, but it is in line with my work and what I do. I am a user experience designer, and in saying that, I love learning about peoples experiences and preferences, especially through empathic means. Even more so when I work on products that make use of these platforms and mediums.

1 Like

Same, long before Chrome, I used Firefox. Before that, I used something called Crazy Browser, which was the first tabbed browser I used.

I grew to love all the extensions on the older version of Firefox. Sadly, for security reasons, the new builds of FF don’t support them, so I run both a legacy and current version.

I do use Chrome because our clients do and it’s also tied to my Gmail. I also use Edge for client troubleshooting, and I find it streams Netflix well.

But yes, the browser I use for myself is Firefox. I think it handles multiple tabs and memory better than its rivals.

1 Like

On the topic of browser extensions, which are some good recommendations, and which browser would have the biggest and best ecosystem of extensions?

1 Like

Sadly, I believe this to be Google’s Chrome browser has the widest array of plugins and extensions. Being the most popular it has the higher user base and community.

That being said, I have found that Firefox extensions or plugins seem to be better curated.

I generally make use of Firefox as a personal capacity and I use Safari for professional purposes.

1 Like

For browsers, extensions, etc, check
https://www.privacytools.io/

2 Likes

Being the dominant browser, I’m sure @Beo is correct - must be Chrome. That said, a lot (most?) Chrome Extensions can be used in Edge if there isn’t an Edge equivalent available. Generally, the more popular and useful extensions are easily found for Chrome, Edge, and Firefox.

Add an extension to Microsoft Edge from the Chrome Web Store

1. Open Microsoft Edge and go to the [Chrome Web Store.
  2. Select Allow extensions from other stores in the banner at the top of the page.
  3. Select Allow to confirm.
  4. Select the extension you want to add and select Add to Chrome .
  5. At the prompt showing permissions required by the extension, carefully review the permissions, and select the Add extension button.
  6. You’ll see a final prompt confirming the extension has been added.

https://microsoftedge.microsoft.com/addons/Microsoft-Edge-Extensions-Home

As for extensions/add-ons I use… not too many regularly. I tend to try them out and then either uninstall them if I think they’re kak, or turn them off until I need them. Edge is becoming my most used browser, so these are what I have running in it at the moment:

3 Likes

I suppose Chrome has the most plugins, but due to Edge and Brave (and probably others), being based on Chrome, you can use the Chrome extensions in those browsers as well.

I’m only using a couple of simple ones though:

• .NET Fiddle
  • Window Resizer
  • ColorZilla
  • MetaMask & LiqualityWallet

On Firefox I use SurfShark.

2 Likes

As for other browsers, I’ve given Opera and Vivaldi a try, but I didn’t install them again now when redoing my PC. They’re not bad, but every now and then I would run into rendering issues with some sites. At the moment I’m happy with my trio of browsers that I’m using.

2 Likes

I see Opera has had a major overhaul (not sure as to when so this may be old news), but I tried looking into Opera a little while ago and was seriously impressed with what it has to offer. I see they also have a gamer, Opera GX, a dedicated browser, which I am keen to experience and look more into.

1 Like

Don’t do it. Watch this for why:

2 Likes

Browser Wars 2K21

6 Likes

That it took 30+ posts and over 3 hours before anyone said anything is testament to how bad it is to be Monday again :smiley:

2 Likes

People must be feeling on “edge”

3 Likes

What, no firefox focus. walks away shaking head

1 Like

Very valid point, I actually just installed it again on my mobile yesterday.

1 Like

I was going to but then I got distracted and then I went home.

2 Likes

let’s be honest here, I can’t be the only one who has made the following mistake: 20212

3 Likes

Although, 2K21 could still be correct if we’re talking about the best browsers for 2021. I don’t know if any browsers or updates have been released in this year yet… so you could totally defend 2k21 as valid should you want to :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m an Edge man. On Windows and iOS. It works a treat and is much lighter and faster that Chrome.

3 Likes