Can you guys/gals give me some upgrade advice please?

Just a note before you buy anything wait until end’ish July as the new Ryzen cpu’s are dropping on 7/7 so prices on older series are likely to come down after that.

4 Likes

Decided to look at getting it from Rebeltech, they were very helpful to me in the past. Also looking at getting the X470 motherboard and the Ryzen 7 2700. I hear that the X470 chipset will make upgrading in the future easier since the A320 and B540 chipsets are end of the line.

The local guy was charging me over R2k more.

2 Likes

You may want to look at the Ryzen 3000 chips, they went on sale yesterday.

As for mobos, yes, A320 is a bit pointless. X470 and B450 are the same generation and will probably have similar lifetimes. X470 just has more high end VRMs and possibly some additional connectivity options. Both will support the new CPUs.

1 Like

So the B450 will still support later gen CPUS for a while in the same way the X470 does?

2 Likes

Any value in keeping my X370 board for a possible CPU upgrade at the end of the year/early next year? Or should I be adding “new MB” to the upgrade parts saving plan?

2 Likes

Absolutely. Same socket, same features. The only real difference will be whether or not you can drop in a top end multi-core monster like the 3900X or even the 3950X. Having looked at a few Buildzoid videos, he seems confident that the best quality B450 boards (MSi Tomahawk for example) will support the high-end Ryzen 3000 chips.

Having said that, the price difference between a quality B450 and a good enough X470 is probably small enough to warrant going for the X470 anyway. The X570’s are mega expensive by comparison, but there is no need to buy those right now.

2 Likes

X370 should support the new chips just fine. Steve from HW Unboxed plans to do a performance comparison across various board generations very soon. AMD themselves have said that CPU performance from X370 to X470 to X570 will be equivalent. So unless the newer boards have features you really need, just drop in a new CPU for now.

2 Likes

Here we go, I knew I saw some graphs somewhere. This should set you minds at ease.

1 Like

A decent B450 board is perfectly fine for a 3000 series CPU and is On average about R2500 vs the X470 which can be nearly double that for a similar tier of quality,so you can save roughly 1-2k.

Check this out for an idea of compatibility
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d9_E3h8bLp-TXr-0zTJFqqVxdCR9daIVNyMatydkpFA/htmlview?sle=true#gid=639584818

@Sweepslag The B450 MSI Tomahawk is indeed a great board took me a good few hours to settle on it, glad i’m not the only one that watches Buildzoid :crazy_face: and hardware unboxed.

If you buy a 3rd gen CPU now I doubt you will need to upgrade again, it more likely you will replace your complete system in the next 5-8 years after a gpu upgrade in between, unless you want to push 144 FPS plus which is hard enough to get to at resolution higher than 1080p so that also factors in.

Personally I might upgrade my 2600 to a 3rd gen like 2 years from now if needed.

1 Like

There is a R400 difference between the Tomahawk

and the X470 MSI

1 Like

Excellent resource that, thanks for linking!

Sorry if I’m detailing this slightly. That link shows the X570 boards with a tick for 200A core current. I would assume that means amps? Can a CPU handle 200amps?

1 Like

In the end If you are really worried about future proofing you will need to pick up a X570 board and they are likely going to be very pricey.

Also make sure you get ram that runs at least 3200Mhz that’s the default FSB speed of the 3000 CPU’s, AMD says 3600Mhz is the sweet spot but so far the reviews look like the difference is marginal.

1 Like

An overclocked 3950X will pull a decent amount of current.

1 Like

The 3900x has a TDP of 105W so lets say safe voltage 1.35v you would pull about 77Amps if you OC its might go above 100Amps

1 Like

Ok, did a lot more reading but since this is not really my fanverse I am somewhat confused with the difference between Ryzen 2k vs Ryzen 3K for my upgrade. Keep in mind I currently have a Intel core i5 3470 running 4 cores and 4 threads. I have a GeForce GTX 750 Ti which I will be using in the upgraded system.

I really want to know which AMD CPU (assuming I use the x470 mobo) will give me the best upgrade in power for --games-- for the money spent. Also keep in mind I have about R10k to spend on case/mobo/ram/cpu/non SSD hdd 1TB.

Should I get Ryzen 5 3x or Ryzen 7 2x etc etc.

I love the power of the collective CPU fandom here and would love more input from you guys/gals.

Or is there an intel upgrade that will do the same trick?

2 Likes

Okay, this is a pretty crucial piece of information. A 750Ti will be a serious bottleneck to any hopes you have of better gaming performance. You can upgrade to whatever CPU you like; it will make no difference unless you are playing heavily CPU bound games that don’t tax the GPU as much.

So: what are your plans for the new build? Primarily a gaming rig, or do you plan to get some work done on it as well?

1 Like

Primarily gaming since the work I do runs node JS and NPM test software and possibly some VMs soon, I dont foresee these taxing my system a lot. The GPU is a gift, I am also assuming that as time goes by, my friends will give me their hand me downs as they upgrade their GPUS.

So you are saying that I can go for a ryzen 5 and downgrade my hopes of vast performance since my GPU is old?

2 Likes

I’m saying that whatever frame rates you’re getting right now are probably due to GPU bottlenecks already rather than your CPU. Have you ever checked which if the two is more heavily used when gaming?

1 Like

There will likely not be any/much noticeable improvements in gaming performance until a newer GPU is obtained.

It was mentioned that the current mobo is dying. So getting a powerful and reliable base system is quite important.

2 Likes