Cities: Skylines

I am needing more content for this game and as a result want to get some of the DLC. Any thoughts or opinions on what is people favorites?

I’m thinking of getting one of the following:

• Green Cities
  • Campus / University City
  • Park Life
  • Industries
1 Like

I liked, and would choose from:

1. Industries
  2. Mass Transit
  3. Green Cities
  4. After Dark
  5. Natural Disasters

The others were a bit meh for me, but I only got them (mostly) after playing with a host of mods that may have impacted on the value of those DLC. Your mileage may vary on the console.

Wait for @czc to chime in - he’s the master city builder.

2 Likes

I haven’t really played since I started studying :frowning:

• Green Cities I like mainly because of the green recycling, you also get some green buildings and other pollution reduction measures.
  • Campus I haven’t really tried properly since I got it but if you’re gonna focus on building a University city I guess it could be fun for that
  • Parklife is nice for developing national/local parks and growing their rating.
  • Industries adds the most complexity with different industrial/farming/mining infrastructure warehouses
  • Mass transit it great with all the extra transport but trams are only in snowfall dlc ( :frowning: and thats the only thing snowfall is good for, I haven’t played on cold weather maps to experience the temperature fluctuations.)

All the DLC’s come with city policies focused on the DLC theme. Green Cities would have environmental policies for example.

It depends on what extra bits you’re after in your gameplay I guess.

3 Likes

Yeah, I like creating believable cities for example. This is why I want Park Life more so just due to the amount of content you get that is not required to be “road-side” in order for placement.

I suppose each has its own function, purpose and value. The only one that doesn’t appeal to me is the Natural Disasters one, I mean who would willingly nuke their city unless you’re just trying to test your cities emergency response services.

2 Likes

Save first - then watch it burn!

I remember the disasters you could have in SimCity 2000, the alien invasion was even on the front cover.

2 Likes

Oh my word, I totally missed this thread. Having spent more than 140h in the game and created some 100k+ population cities I too would like to add my say to the DLC discussion. I’ll rank my top 5 DLC’s, because I have like 14 of them installed:

1. Industries
    Best DLC to date. The complexity and additional industrial districts you can create are great ways of making money and making realistically looking cities. With a dedicated mine or proper farm or forestry area, your city will look the part while adding complexity (and thus fun) to your traffic management, planning and supply-chain implementation. A proper 5 star industrial zone is an absolute cash cow too. Honestly the first DLC to get it this.

2. Parklife
    Creating different parks to balance out all that nasty pollution you create is a great way to give a more greener look to your city. Creating theme parks and zoo’s are also incredibly fun and would add some much needed flair to any city.

3. Sunset Harbour
    This pack overhauls how you handle trash in your city and is a great addition to the game. The trash system and Postal service alone makes this DLC a must have. The fishing industry also adds a bit more things to do along the coast of any city.

4. Mass Transit
    Honestly this too should be standard with the game, and greatly expands on the transit possibilities of any big city. From big hubs for multiple connections to cable car rides up mountains, this is a DLC you must have.

5. Campus
    Campus adds a totally separate University zone where your people can go to school. There are a plethora of buildings and things to consider. With this you can basically create a small university town and have awesome sports grounds to your city. Getting people to enroll to your University is not easy so you better plan properly and not try to build too big too quickly, otherwise it will burn a big black hole in your pocket.

These DLC’s all change a part of the base game in a big way. Other DLC’s like Green Cities and Concert are great but get them on special as they don’t change any gameplay, rather just add more things to build. And that you can also do with mods.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback guys, I’ll try and get one this month and then another is a subsequent month etc. Just hope I don’t get bored or burnt out before I get all of those I want. Namely what has already been mentioned here.

So one aspect which always seems to give troubles is that of the “city entrance”. That first stretch of road that comes into your region square. You need to start off well enough to accomodate for immediate growth while also allowing for future expansion, it’s difficult to master and been playing around with different ideas. Tried a new city with following result that I’m kinda chuffed about.

PS_App_20210127_090751

2 Likes

So after @SlinX post here in the gaming screenshot thread, I thought I’d revive the official thread as well to post some of my own screenshots of my latest city, as well as some DLC news:

Firstly the screenshots:

A view of the road into the harbour

The tourism beachfront

Need all the sports in the city

Here is the full city in all it’s current glory:

Now, onto some other Cities Skyline news.

Today is the release date of the next DLC of Cities Skylines - Airports:

This adds the ability to build massive sprawling international airports, deciding self where to build the different concourses buildings, the terminals, aircraft bays, where and how long the runway(s) is/are and many more.

6 Likes

Impressive City. I didn’t even think to look for this thread.
:+1:

3 Likes

Uploading a picture of the airport I managed to put together last night while trying out the new DLC:

I am going to retire the city for a bit, as the myriad of mods broke the save somewhat with the new update. All of a sudden my commercial lost all the goods to sell despite having plentiful importing avenues. Ah well, at least I got the city to 100k cims, a large weekly profit giving plenty of cash, and over 80% traffic flow. I feel this was successful as I wanted to build this city to play with the Airport DLC. Onto the next one!

3 Likes

I always look at these pictures and they look so interesting. But when I played the game myself, I didn’t enjoy it at all.

This is from my current city.

The impact crater from the comet has become a feature in the city.

The whole city.

This is my city during the Christmas break.

4 Likes

I on the other hand look at these pictures and think… wow I’m kak at this.

2 Likes

It does take a lot of time and patience, I normally put on a playlist and just relax and play.

I played this back at release and had fun. Then I thought hey, maybe I should buy the DLC and get stuck in again. THEN I see how much the DLC cost!

Which ones do you guys suggest are the best value?

The ones on sale… :grin:

3 Likes

Yeah look it’s a game that’s not for anyone. It appeals to what I need right now but can completely understand why people won’t enjoy the game.

Further up the thread is my detailed feelings towards the DLC. I would say Industries, Park Life, Green Cities and Mass Transit are essential to better enjoyment of the game. I can also suggest mods that would elevate the game to new levels in either fun or challenge.

Funny enough it’s all on sale right now…

4 Likes

I see there is a bundle on sale that has 2 of these 3 in it. So probably a good starting point.
Also I just realised I never played this on Steam. I originally played the high seas version when it came out. I have it on steam but never installed it.

I agree with @DieGrootHammer, I’d maybe add in Campus and Natural Disasters :wink:

Right on one of my main roads too.