Coming back to a game you used to play

Tonight I reinstalled Rocket League to play with friends, one of whom was trying it out for the first time. It’s been ages since I last played. It only took a few minutes to remember how fun this game is, especially if you don’t get too competitive and can laugh at all your terrible mistakes. We’ll definitely be playing some more of it.

Any games that you dropped and came back to years later?

3 Likes

Not YEARS, but I gave Destiny 2 a good 2-season (6-month) break, and got sucked in again close to the end of the last season (around 4 weeks ago). Now I caved and bought the Witch Queen expansion and the new season’s pass.

2 Likes

The most jarring thing when returning to a game you haven’t played in ages will always be getting used to the controls again. I recently got a bit of an itch for some Assassin Creed, and AC Odyssey is still installed on my Xbox. But when I played it, it just felt so alien and unnatural. And restarting a whole new game can get long and tedious.

I guess it says a lot about games easing you into the feel and mechanics of a game.

2 Likes

5 Likes

This was me when I restarted playing Witcher 3 because I only got the DLCs recently, after having finished Witcher 3 years ago already. I was like… HTF do you play this damn game!?

2 Likes

I also find that, although the controls is a bit of the thing to learn again, when I get back into a game, it feels like I’m out of practice. Take the ACO example I used. On that save I finished the main campaign and restarted a New Game + story, thus I was like level 52 already. When I played the game it almost felt easy, I was in the zone and was well versed in all the mechanics. Coming back to the save felt like being a fish out of water.

But not all games are like that. My recent facination has been management and city building games, and for those it differs. I carried on on a save of Anno 1800 that was well over 6 months old, and it took me about 15 to get up to speed and back into the swing of things.

2 Likes

I tend to come back to Minecraft more often than I would like to admit… And also No Man’s Sky tends to draw me in every few months as well.

2 Likes

If you’re looking for an active community to play with, I can whitelist you on the server I’m on. We’ve partnered with Satellite Gaming.

2 Likes

Diablo II has been of the games I’ve perpetually had installed. I could always come back to it, binge, then stop. This was before the Remaster, which I’ve also not played in months. Guess it’s time to go back?

Deus Ex is another game I’ve replayed several times over the years. It’s a bit of a meme in that regard. It’s a bit different, in that I usually finish a playthrough and then restart it.

2 Likes

Thanks! Will have a look for sure!

2 Likes