Coronavirus - COVID-19

Think of some cheesecloth. It’s a seamless piece of material and can be worn in many ways.

• scarf
  • balaclava
  • scrunchy
  • headband
  • or even mask in this case

They’re great if you’re an outdoors type cos they really keep the cold out and the warm in while still being breathable. I used mine when mountain biking and hiking.

3 Likes

Department of Health just phoned me now to see how I’m doing. Today or yesterday is technically the end of my 2 week quarantine.

4 Likes

And, how are you doing?

4 Likes

Today or yesterday at midnight?

3 Likes

Today I’m actually quite ok. I was very tired yesterday, but I thought it was due to the rude awakening by my wife, but then I still slept most of the night as well so I guess it is still side effects from the virus. Just for context, I slept from around 5am - 13:00 and then again from 22:00 to 6:00, but the night was with a lot of interruptions. Given that I constantly suffer from insomnia, these are some record sleeping times for me.

I suppose yesterday at 16:00 :smiley:

6 Likes

I should add, those buffs are a single thickish layer - my biggest issue with masks are they keep falling off, these have an elastic in the back and stays up so I fiddle with it less. It also is the only thing that doesnt give me a panic attack! Most masks make me claustrophobic.

2 Likes
2 Likes

2 Likes
1 Like

So it hasn’t gone away…but we’re just sort of “living with it”
I mean we still have many new infections, there’s still no cure or vaccine, but we’ve stopped living in utter fear of this thing.

Is it possible to ask again, was all that necessary?

4 Likes

But that is what we came to expect. Surely we didn’t expect it to just go away and die, never to be thought of again. We have to adpat and live with it. I reckon this will be around for years to come, just circulating even now and again, just like the flu.

I think it was all necessary, especially to bear the brunt of it, to get through that initial infection phase. Now it is becoming norm and our bodies and immune system have to adapt and survive. I don’t think COVID is going anywhere, at least until there is a cure. Which I don’t think will be likely any time soon, unless it’s like the flu where we get infected every now and again.

Smile and wave boys, smile and wave.

4 Likes

Yes. 100000% yes, it all was necessary. The fact that we are sitting here in hindsight looking back and knowing that the infections never overwhelmed the health system is astonishing. The fact that we limited the number of people killed by the virus was the result of it all. In hindsight with the best outcome it’s easy to look back and think “wow that was so overblown”. But the fact of the matter is that while we moved into winter, with a deadly virus in the country spreading wildly, all the lockdown was completely necessary.

6 Likes

I’m with Beo and Hammer on this one.

4 Likes

Fair enough. So its safe to say mine is still the unpopular opinion :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I don’t think it’s that unpopular, I’m sure there are a lot of Trump supporters that agree with you. :laughing:

5 Likes

Oof :frowning:

4 Likes

Nope.

Nope.

Yebbo yes.

2 Likes

35 posts were split to a new topic: COVID-19 exposure notification apps privacy concerns (GAEN API / COVID Alert SA)

There’s layers of nuance to such a seemingly simple question. Specifically when you ask “all that”.

Did we need the initial 21-day lockdown? Absolutely yes.

Did it end up being necessary to extend the lockdown because it turns out our country no longer has the resources or expertise to rapidly ramp up testing and intensive care facilities? Also yes.

Did we need to ban cigarette sales for so long? No!

Did we need to ban alcohol sales for so long? No!

There were several middle grounds / compromises that were completely untested during this whole debacle.

Could we have temporarily raised the “sin taxes” significantly rather than completely ban sales? One academic paper says yes.

Should government have unbanned cigarettes with alcohol? Absolutely yes. The continued ban of cigarette sales just made no sense whatsoever.

Could government have allowed restaurants to serve alcohol while sales were banned for home consumption? Possibly. Unfortunately there are establishments that would take the piss, but it would arguably have been useful to at least test this for two weeks.

6 Likes

Anyone that’s not convinced in the virus, I’ve never had less respect for any group of people that you. Talk to me again when you’ve also lost a family member to the virus!!

4 Likes